• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014
    Southall wrote
    And so I preach to my audience of one:

Cheyenne Autumn - Alex North

Breathtaking. Absolute orchestral savagery combined with the most lilting emotions. Uniquely Alex North.

I'm going to check this out just based on your description.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2014 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Listening to Lionheart in reverse for the first time in ages (Vol 2 before Vol 1 because I wanted the better half at the end) I realise I really should work out a playlist, not based on the movie (because the score is simply butchered all over the place in there) but on what would make the best listening experience.

But maybe some of you already did that and would like to share?

I love Lionheart! Always have. Great to read your thoughts Ralph!
    Long ago I made a custom CD with all tracks from both volumes in chronological film order. I know it may not be the best "listening experience" but I'm used to it this way now.

THE CEREMONY
    THE CASTLE
    BRING HIM BACK
    FAILED KNIGHT
    THE CIRCUS
    ROBERT AND BLANCHE
    CHILDREN IN BONDAGE
    GATES OF PARIS
    PARIS UNDERGROUND
    THE ROAD FROM PARIS
    THE BANNER
    THE DRESS
    THE FUTURE
    MATHILDA
    THE PLAGUE
    FOREST HUNT
    THE LAKE
    THE WRONG FLAG
    FINAL FIGHT
    KING RICHARD

I ended "The Future" cue with a reverb fade before the end title reprise kicked in. Don't want it twice. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Southall wrote
    And so I preach to my audience of one:

Cheyenne Autumn - Alex North

Breathtaking. Absolute orchestral savagery combined with the most lilting emotions. Uniquely Alex North.

I'm going to check this out just based on your description.

Good man! I believe Alex North to be one of the most rewarding composers to those willing to listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Atham wrote
    Long ago I made a custom CD with all tracks from both volumes in chronological film order. I know it may not be the best "listening experience" but I'm used to it this way now.

I ended "The Future" cue with a reverb fade before the end title reprise kicked in. Don't want it twice. wink

Thank you very much. It looks like a good list to me. I´ll try it next time I listen to it, but I think I´ll put "The Future" at the beginning to use it like an Overture or a Main Title.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lucy - Eric Serra

Hmm. Listening to this after a treasure trove of Alex North masterpieces may not be doing it any favours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Die Hard Die Harderer 5: Here We Go Again Marco Beltrami

Still the most enjoyable score I've heard from Beltrami. I love it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Die Hard Die Harderer 5: Here We Go Again Marco Beltrami

Still the most enjoyable score I've heard from Beltrami. I love it!

It's bloody good innit!? Though my favourite remains Hellboy.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's right, mine remains 3:10 to Yuma.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Pretty impressive body of work he's built up now, thinking about it. And he's still only about 25, isn't he?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Pretty impressive body of work he's built up now, thinking about it. And he's still only about 25, isn't he?

biggrin

He's one of the best film music talents working today.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I checked and he's only 47. He seems to have been around forever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    World War Z Marco Beltrami

Another fine action score from the 25 year old. Not quite as good as Die Hard Número Cinco, but a fine little album of typically aggressive action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014
    Soul Surfer is the Beltrami score for me, far and away, nothing else I've heard from him is even close, but I guess that's because he's primarily an action/suspense composer and that's not really my thing. Soul Surfer is one of my all-time favorites.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Soul Surfer is the Beltrami score for me, far and away, nothing else I've heard from him is even close, but I guess that's because he's primarily an action/suspense composer and that's not really my thing. Soul Surfer is one of my all-time favorites.

I can understand that. Soul Surfer is indeed excellent!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I personally really like Live Free Or Die Hard aka Die Hard 4.0, though he's done a lot of excellent work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Ava Collection - Elmer Bernstein

This arrived yesterday and I've had a great time going through it. The sound is incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014 edited
    Journey 2: The One Wot Has The Rock In It Andrew Lockington

This is very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...this is excellent in fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Percy Jackson: The Chamber of Secrets Andrew Lockington

This is also very enjoyable (if a little forgettable).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Chinatown Jerry, son of Morris

I must admit, I don't enjoy this one aside from its wonderful love theme. I haven't seen the film mind you.
  2. Steven wrote

Some Percy-Jackson-Harry-Potter-confusion here? dizzy

cheesy Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    You're right. I was actually listening to The Hungry Percy Potter: Breaking Dawn Part 2.3
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Guardians of the Galaxy - Tyler Bates

The best thing about this is sitting wondering how long it will be until you hear the HORN OF DOOM. Just when you think you might be waiting forever, you get to track twelve and there she blows!

fireworks
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    John Williams: Jazz Begginings Johnny T

This is wonderful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Chinatown Jerry, son of Morris

I must admit, I don't enjoy this one aside from its wonderful love theme. I haven't seen the film mind you.

Brilliant score! One of his very best! Great album from beginning to end! Including the source cues!

Brilliant film too!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    John Williams: Jazz Begginings Johnny T

This is wonderful.

Off Topic even? uhm

Excellent old school jazz though. I wonder how JW is regarded in the world of jazz? I've never once heard his name pop up when any jazz buff has talked about the greats.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Battle LA - Brian Tyler

The man has a very limited back of tricks when it comes to action music, a fact that's becoming more evident with every new score-of-the-month of his that's released these days. This however, in its best moments, especially thematically, is one of his stronger recent efforts.
  3. Steven wrote
    Journey 2: The One Wot Has The Rock In It Andrew Lockington

This is very good.
    Steven wrote
    ...this is excellent in fact.
    Steven wrote

yeah to all of that.

Also, with regards to the earlier discussion about Dwayne Johnson - seriously, D? I mean, no, he's not Gielgud, but as a popcorn lead he fits the bill. He's very much a latter-day 80s action hero, no more, no less, and he does that well. I can't believe you'd call him uncharismatic of all things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Black - Chris Tilton

My favourite thing by Tilton. Fantastic music.

Only this, for me as well. And Mercenaries 1.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote
    Battle LA - Brian Tyler

The man has a very limited back of tricks when it comes to action music, a fact that's becoming more evident with every new score-of-the-month of his that's released these days. This however, in its best moments, especially thematically, is one of his stronger recent efforts.

True, but Tyler's music is very, very enjoyable, energetic and not filled with electronic crap crushing the actual music ontop. He's a man who knows his craft, all the different genres he's mixing. He actually knows how to blend them all in an organic whole unlike some recent disasters have shown (Velazquez's Hercules).
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.