• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BEYOND THE GATES ( aka SHOOTING DOGS ) - Dario Marianelli

Wonderful, poignant and moving score to a very poignant and moving film ( and worth your time ). Lovely!

Agree, one of the best scores he ever wrote.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Well, I was surprised by Velazquez's Hercules when I played it for the first time today.
    There's some good stuff in there.
    More fun than I was expecting after reading peoples disappointment with it anyway.
    Will it have lasting value? I can't say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I can: no it won't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Probably right. I'll play it again in a day or so. See if it sticks!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE CELESTINE PROPHECY - Nuno Malo

Gorgeous, gorgeous music. Exceptional.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Journey 2: The One Wot Has The Rock In It Andrew Lockington

This is very good.

I always thought this guy should be given more scores to write; if he writes more, he might find a more personal identity which would in turn make the end-result even more interesting. 'Cause he writes very good and his orchestral arrangements are top, but i find his music so far forgettable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Probably right. I'll play it again in a day or so. See if it sticks!

Please let us know smile i found myself revisiting just once, after the disappointment. Don't know, maybe if Velazquez wasn't who he is and he had never written LO IMPOSSIBLE, maybe i'd digest it more easily...maybe wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

This is very good.

I always thought this guy should be given more scores to write; if he writes more, he might find a more personal identity which would in turn make the end-result even more interesting. 'Cause he writes very good and his orchestral arrangements are top, but i find his music so far forgettable.

I agree! Mostly good music but I never remember a note once it has finished.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

This is very good.

Ditto.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014 edited
    Unlike this classic which is most memorable...

NP : THE RIGHT STUFF - Bill Conti

cool

( yeah, I know there's a lot of Holst's Jupiter in this but that never stopped James Horner being good did it wink )
  2. Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Battle LA - Brian Tyler

The man has a very limited back of tricks when it comes to action music, a fact that's becoming more evident with every new score-of-the-month of his that's released these days. This however, in its best moments, especially thematically, is one of his stronger recent efforts.

True, but Tyler's music is very, very enjoyable, energetic and not filled with electronic crap crushing the actual music ontop. He's a man who knows his craft, all the different genres he's mixing. He actually knows how to blend them all in an organic whole unlike some recent disasters have shown (Velazquez's Hercules).

Tyler had a share of "electronic crap crushing the actual music on top" in his career, though luckily he quit it somewhere around 2010, but my God will I never return to the fourth Fast and Furious... There was a bit of senseless electronica in his career.

As much as I like (and it's a lot!) Expendables 2, I would defintiely do without that electronic effect in some of the tracks.

Battle: LA grew on me a lot, though I think it's still a bit too influenced by the temp-track and having heard a... different album of it, the programming of the album is quite head-scratching. A chronological program would make it that much better.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Pawel, i don't think that pre-2010 had so much stuff as you describe it:

fast and the furious
    dragonball evolution
    the killing room
    bangkok dangerous
    rambo
    avp:r requiem
    war
    partition
    fast and furious: tokyo drift
    annapolis
    constantine
    final cut
    timeline
    children of dune
    the hunted
    darkness falls

etc

His style has always been consistent and recognizable.

i think you just happen to like him post-2010 smile
  3. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

This is very good.

Ditto.

Y'all are nuts. The main theme from Journey 2 is one of the catchiest of recent memory. (IMO, obviously)
  4. Demetris wrote
    Pawel, i don't think that pre-2010 had so much stuff as you describe it:

fast and the furious
    dragonball evolution
    the killing room
    bangkok dangerous
    rambo
    avp:r requiem
    war
    partition
    fast and furious: tokyo drift
    annapolis
    constantine
    final cut
    timeline
    children of dune
    the hunted
    darkness falls

etc

His style has always been consistent and recognizable.

i think you just happen to like him post-2010 smile

I mean mostly Fast and the Furious, my least favorite of his scores in general, bits of Dragonball: Evolution, when he lashes out some electronica, a bit of War when he goes overboard, and literally small parts of FF3.

I actually got through his whole career chronologically, I think his best stuff is the early stuff, with some gems thrown later throughout the action ruckus (The Killing Room I find quite brilliant, but we might be the only ones who happen to love it). I also, must admit, love Bug, I think it's a brilliant underrated gem just because it's not easy on the ears, but I *really* like it.

I get the Arvo Part connection to The Killing Room, but I think it's, alongside Bug, the most consequential scores of his career in terms of sound.

I also like Lazarus Project quite a bit, not a score much talked about. I actually had a big reassessment after, I think, Far Cry 3 (the third most consequential score of his career). I actually started my dislike of him after AVP: R and I kinda didn't like much 2008-2010 outside of Eagle Eye, because I thought that where he simply found a formula he would repeat with little or no change to it.

From pure enjoyment perspective, I think Expendables 2 was a big start and I must say that while Army of Two lost a lot of its appeal to me (kinda samish, really, though I love the drums), Modern Warfare 3 gained a lot. Ironically, I must say...

The moment when I started to really appreciate Modern Warfare 3, outside of some unreleased bits of that score which I loved in the game and belongs to some of his best dissonant writing ever (that made me lash out on my Polish forum, thinking leaving them out wasn't exactly a smart idea), was when I realized that it's a good-quality (as opposed to the original) expansion of the Zimmer/Balfe/half-of-Santa-Monica-population work that was the previous game of the series. There are little bits of rhythm and guitar writing and harmony which refers to the previous score in the series and expands on it where the original team couldn't (about 5-6 hours of music was written in 5-6 weeks, though lots of them alternates!) really do much due to huge time constraints and either budgetary or artistic issues (all is sampled).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard

Fan-freaking-tastic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Hancock - John Powell

Superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. You're on a roll, Erik. beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: Gladiator - Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard

Fan-freaking-tastic!

-Erik-

Absolutely agree. I think we can safely say by now, that this classifies as a modern film music classic and i think Z, no matter how much i love some of his new stuff, will most likely never surpass this and The thin red line.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : YOU ONLY LOVE ONCE - Jacques Loussier

Very 1960's French pop/jazz score. Also incredibly refreshing and enjoyable after a week or more of catching up on some recent film score releases, most of which I'll not be returning to.
  6. Othello / Battle of Stalingrad - Aram Khachaturian
    Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra; Adriano on Naxos

Great album! Distinctly Khachaturian. I believe I just heard glimpses of "O Tannenbaum"? There are reports how they "celebrated" Christmas during the Stalingrad siege, so that's entirely possible.

Volker
  7. NP: The Twelve Choruses (King of Kings, Ben-Hur)
    Winchester Cathedral Chamber Choir conducted by Allan Wilson; George Castle, Organ

This album is just delightful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Dawn of the Apes Micky G

Terrible album, so I trimmed it down to 30 minutes. Very enjoyable. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014 edited
    Sky Captain and the Day After Tomorrow Edward Shearmur

An equally brilliant and depressing score to listen to. Depressing because of the wasted talent, particularly when composers like Bates are getting big Marvel gigs...

*grumble grumble*
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Sky Captain and the Day After Tomorrow Edward Shearmur

An equally brilliant and depressing score to listen to. Depressing because of the wasted talent, particularly when composers like Bates are getting big Marvel gigs...

*grumble grumble*

Word, word, word. Sadly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Lion King - Hans Zimmer, Elton John et al

The "Legacy Collection" version of this is just spectacular. There's new life in everything - score and songs. What an album.
  8. Southall wrote
    The Lion King - Hans Zimmer, Elton John et al

The "Legacy Collection" version of this is just spectacular. There's new life in everything - score and songs. What an album.

Indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    Zimmer's golden era: Lion King, Backdraft, TTRL, Gladiator. Compare with now. :sigh:
  9. Demetris wrote
    Zimmer's golden era: Lion King, Backdraft, TTRL, Gladiator. Compare with now. :sigh:

isn't that the case for every composer?
    The Williams of the 80's and 90's, The James Horner of the 80's and 90's, and I could go on and on ...
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Demetris wrote

isn't that the case for every composer?
    The Williams of the 70's, 80's and 90's, The James Horner of the 80's and 90's, and I could go on and on ...

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    I would probably pick Inception over all of them.

Especially The Lion King. Fuck that score.