• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Skyfall

No, really.

Really?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    Speaking of bad Zimmer scores...

The Peacemaker

Christ, this is painful to sit through. There are some good bits, but nowhere near enough of them even for a 60-minute album, let alone 93. (93!)

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!

It's definitely one of the best 90s score from Hans Zimmer. Gladiator wouldn't have been as good without inheriting all of the orchestral goodness from Peacemaker.
  1. NP: How to Train Your Dragon 2, once again.

For a Tracksounds review (finally!). This is by far the best score of the year so far. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Peacemaker is considerably higher in my list of Zimmer scores (#17) than Inception. tongue

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But why is (say) Inception generally considered excellent and the Dark Knight scores generally considered average (often by the same people) when they sound so friggin' similar?

Ah not me . I live his dark knight scores too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

The Peacemaker

Christ, this is painful to sit through. There are some good bits, but nowhere near enough of them even for a 60-minute album, let alone 93. (93!)

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!

It's definitely one of the best 90s score from Hans Zimmer. Gladiator wouldn't have been as good without inheriting all of the orchestral goodness from Peacemaker.

Indeed a very good score . Enjoyable and a clear relative to Gladiator .
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote

The Peacemaker

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!

Indeed a very good score . Enjoyable and a clear relative to Gladiator .

Yep. I'd say it's in my top three Zimmer list!
    Eeeeevrybody's different! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014 edited
    Southall wrote

The Peacemaker

For balance I'll put in that I agree with Mr Southall. The Peacemaker is mostly horrible.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Jerry Goldsmith - The Wind and the Lion

So, finally grabbed this masterpiece, which was too expensive for me when Intrada released it, but now perused their 30% discount. I think all has been said about this score? I'll just point out that I still wonder if the trumpet players survived that crazy solo in Raisuli Attacks.

Ah, the brilliance. I was supposed not to buy epic scores anymore, and seemingly I ended up with Rozsa's El Cid, Poledouris' Flesh + Blood (though that's cheating, it was a review copy) and now Wind and the Lion. Next time I will be in the mood for epic scores, I guess I'll start collecting Zbigniew Preisner.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ahhhh, basking in BRILLIANCE I see Pawel beer
  3. Also Alien is waiting for shipping.

I knew the score, of course, but I had to pick it up as it got cheaper smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Transvestites Steve Jablonsky

I love this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Transvestites? All this time I've been decepticonned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Robots in disguise.
  4. More than meets the eye.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Black Tulip - Christopher Young

Wow!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014
    Cinema Serenade 2 John Williams

I love the first album, but I think this might be my favourite of the two. Pure class. 5 stars doesn't do it justice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    The Black Tulip - Christopher Young

Wow!

That and Creation were two of his finest moments to date. Very diverse and rich.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Transvestites? All this time I've been decepticonned.

biggrin

I just picked up the Vince Dicola score for the eighties' cartoon feature in the Intrada sale. dizzy
    I'm actually quite curious to hear how it holds up (but what I'd really like is a properly orchestrated and recorded version of the original cartoon's main theme. Yeah. I'm nostalgic like that. I could do without the lyrics, though. smile)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Bubba Ho-Tep - Brian Tyler

One of Tyler's most accessible and fun scores. Ry Cooder meets...erm...well...Brian Tyler dizzy
    Great ominous guitar twanging and some surprisingly melodic lines in a wonderfully entertaining score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

One of Tyler's most accessible and fun scores. Ry Cooder meets...erm...well...Brian Tyler dizzy
    Great ominous guitar twanging and some surprisingly melodic lines in a wonderfully entertaining score.

Great film too. Elvis and a black JFK take on a 4000 year old Mummy wearing cowboy boots. Love it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Man, I need to SEE that film.
  5. Martijn wrote

Accessible? I remember it having some nice cues but finding it overall a very mixed bag with some truly awful stretches as well ("Elder Hole"... vomit ). Might need to relisten.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

Listening to this for obvious reasons.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Air Force One - Jerry Goldsmith

Listening to this for obvious reasons.

Is it national Air Force One day?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Not as far as I know. Pawel and I exchanged some correspondence a couple of days ago in which it was mentioned a few times.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Was it national Air Force One day in Poland?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hmmm? I wonder what day is national Air Force One day in Poland?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2014 edited
    I wish Pawel were here. He'd know which day is national Air Force One day in Poland!