• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014 edited
    ^ Don't forget Kevin Kaska. He wrote a lot of the REALLY good stuff. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: Prophecy - Leonard Rosenman

I'd forgotten how good this one is. Fantastic guttural scoring.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates / Various Artists

The deluxe double CD set was in the mail this morning. CD 1 is th so called "Awsome Mix Vol.1", which is a nice collection of classic rock songs. I don't know if all these songs indeed feature in the film, because I have not seen it yet. All I know is the trailer featuring "Hooked on a Feeling". A number of these songs I had already, but the albums makes for a nice listen.

The score on the second disc is the first by Bates that I have purchased. I have yet to finish listening but what I have heard so far is nice enough. A fine main theme, robust action music, good orchestration. 3 or 4 stars I think. I'll come back to this later.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2014
    4 stars? uhm
  3. It's a mixed bag. There are some orchestral highlights here, the choral cues really stand out for me. On the other side there are one or two action cues with a distinct RC vibe to it, including your trusty horn of doom. Yet the nice elements dominate so, let's say 3 1/2 stars. Or 4 . I don't know. No - 4 it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    4... stars? uhm
  4. The final cues are fantastic.

5 stars in your books, Steven?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    KRULL - James Horner

There's only one thing you can listen to after going through Lair three times in two days and that's the greatest fantasy score ever written. (Which is this, if you were in any doubt.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2014 edited
    NEVER doubted that fact ....and never will!

PS Your review of Lair was terrific by the way James!
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird Elmer Bernstein

This is the third or fourth time I’ve listened to the Varese RSNO version since it arrived yesterday. I’ve had the ‘Film Music Collection’ recording from the FSM box and treasured it for years but I got the Intrada release of the AVA collection recording recently and haven’t been able to stop listening to it. Both recordings are very similar and in my opinion equally wonderful but it made me curious to hear this version. What a treat to have this interpretation with such different acoustics and larger Orchestra. I know some people can get upset about the differences in rerecordings but I generally embrace them, it’s wonderful to have different versions of such a classic score.

Even though I have 3 different rerecordings all conducted by the composer (are there any other instances of a composer rerecording almost a complete score of their own this many times?) I would jump at the original tracks were they to be released, if only for the novelty of hearing John Williams perform the piano parts. I believe there are rights issues holding back such a release. What perfect Sunny Sunday morning listening!
  6. The Artist Who Did Not Want To Paint Jerry Goldsmith

One of my very favourite pieces of music full stop. I love the rerecording and the original, never get bored of it.
  7. The Red House Miklós Rózsa

It seems to be rerecording weekend for me. I've already listened to Intrada's brilliant recordings of 'Ivanhoe', 'Julius Caeser', 'Spellbound', 'The Twelve Choruses' and 'The Man in Half Moon Street'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2014
    NP: Maleficient ~ James Newton Howard

I really like it's dark, fairy-tale lyricism. I haven't enjoyed listening to a score so much for a long time now. And Lana Del Ray's version of Once upon a dream suits the whole atmosphere of the score excellently!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Solid line up of scores there, John. I love that Varese To Kill A Mockingbird album. I too have played it multiple times over the course of the past few weeks.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Chambers wrote
    To Kill a Mockingbird Elmer Bernstein

This is the third or fourth time I’ve listened to the Varese RSNO version since it arrived yesterday. I’ve had the ‘Film Music Collection’ recording from the FSM box and treasured it for years but I got the Intrada release of the AVA collection recording recently and haven’t been able to stop listening to it. Both recordings are very similar and in my opinion equally wonderful but it made me curious to hear this version. What a treat to have this interpretation with such different acoustics and larger Orchestra. I know some people can get upset about the differences in rerecordings but I generally embrace them, it’s wonderful to have different versions of such a classic score.

Even though I have 3 different rerecordings all conducted by the composer (are there any other instances of a composer rerecording almost a complete score of their own this many times?) I would jump at the original tracks were they to be released, if only for the novelty of hearing John Williams perform the piano parts. I believe there are rights issues holding back such a release. What perfect Sunny Sunday morning listening!

This is one of my very favourite scores and I have the same three recordings of it as you; I think the Varese is my favourite. If you add in the original recording for the film then that makes four that Bernstein did of it - there surely can't be another film score to have been recorded so many times (by the composer) though there are four recordings of The Magnificent Seven - the original one, he re-recorded essentially the same thing for Return of the Seven (in stereo this time), and later the album intended for Varese with the RSNO but released for some reason by RCA Victor, and before that there was the James Sedares recording.
  8. NP: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) - Tyler Bates

I really like this.

I have begun to store my entire CD collection in PET boxes. The majority of my CDs until now was piled up in huge semi-sorted staples on cupboards against the wall. I have now started to really sort it: editions/anthologies; franchises; compilations; composers. I thought this could be done quickly. It can't.

Volker
  9. I'd love to hear the RSNO 'Magnificent Seven' but it's so hard to come by. Do you have any idea as to the nature of the legal dispute which led to it's removal from circulation? Such a shame after all that time, effort and money. I adore the vast majority of the Varese rerecordings, shame they seemingly ceased being lucrative. The landscape has changed so much it's now a treat when a new recording from Intrada or Tadlow is released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    John Chambers wrote
    I'd love to hear the RSNO 'Magnificent Seven' but it's so hard to come by. Do you have any idea as to nature of the legal dispute which led to it's removal from circulation? Such a shame after all that time, effort and money. I adore the vast majority of the Varese rerecordings, shame they seemingly ceased being lucrative. The landscape has changed so much it's now a treat when a new recording from Intrada or Tadlow is released.

It was something to do with the cover image - but I can't remember what. But I have no idea why it wasn't released by Varese (and if it had been I daresay they would have commissioned a Matthew Peak painting and so wouldn't have encountered the same legal difficulties).
  10. Thanks James, if it's down to the cover image maybe there's hope they might reissue it some time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Krull James Horner

This is good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Deep Impact - James Horner

This is not as good as Krull.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, it's not. I'm trespassing on Erik's territory here, but I think it has a bland, un-detailed recording. The end credits cue is brilliant though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2014 edited
    NP: DISCONNECT (Max Richter)

This is bloody brilliant. Maybe a bit long, though.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Steven wrote
    No, it's not. I'm trespassing on Erik's territory here, but I think it has a bland, un-detailed recording. The end credits cue is brilliant though.

I took the occasion to listen to said cue. You are right about it.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    How To Write A Film Score John Williams

One of Williams' best in his 'How To' series, this particular one being Jaws.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014
    Steven wrote

The recording is fucking shit but the score is fantastic!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014 edited
    NP: Le Mani Sporche - Ennio Morricone

A score from 1978 that I'd never come across before until today.

Listening to it now and I am surprised (and pleased) by how much tracks such as "Ritorno dal Passato" and "Dolore e Follia" have definite similarities to his later score for The Thing, especially tracks such as "Solitude".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: IMPRESSIONS OF AMERICA (Patrick Doyle)

It's not BAD, but it doesn't make much of an impression either (pun intended). I had such high hopes for this when it was announced, but alas it's basically loads of directionless symphonic colours with a little bit of minimalism thrown in.

I agree! It just drifts pleasantly by and I didn't remember a single note once it ended. I gave it a second listen and it was the same, unmemorable and blandly nice.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    X-Men: The "Last" Stand John Powell

The pessimist in me doesn't think we'll ever get a true 5-star Marvel score (I suppose it would be odd if the optimist thought that), but this is the closest anything has come so far.

So far!? Yup!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt