• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2014
    NP: THE GIVER (Marco Beltrami)

Not bad, but not particularly good either. It just sits there. Hopefully, it will grow on me. I'm a Beltrami fan, after all.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014 edited
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BRAINSTORM - James Horner

punk

I forgot that the last track no longer plays ( bronzing? ) slant

This was the first CD I ever bought.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STAR TREK II THE BREATH OF KHAN - James Horner

Rather good isn't it.
  1. ^ So I said. smile

NP: La Revolution Francaise (1989) - Georges Delerue

Well, I never ... Wow! shocked

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

Volker

Rather good isn't it.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

Volker

Rather good isn't it.

It's fuckin' awsome! "The Declaration of the Human Rights" just let my jaw drop to the ground.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm still waiting for my copy.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : COCOON: THE RETURN - James Horner

More of the same in this sequel but it is welcome in its loveliness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STAR TREK II THE BREATH OF KHAN - James Horner
    Rather good isn't it.

He's been asleep for two hundred years. How good can it be?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

Volker

Rather good isn't it.

Like Timmer, I've had a 2CD-R set forever untill I gave it away a couple of years ago. Not because it's bad, but because I only play it on my iTunes. I seriously considered upgrading to this new set, but then the realities of finances and priorities kicked in. Oh well, it's still a Delerue favourite of mine, although I do think there's a lot of "padding" as well.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962) Cyril Mockridge
    With material by Alfred Newman.

This is pleasant enough but not much more than US western standard fare of that years. Thanks to Tom's review I was aware of the fact, that the pop song is not included here. I did not know though, that that melody is not part of the score at all. I saw the film years ago, so I did not remember that.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - James Horner

That's how it's done.

Volker

Re-watched (with different company this time) Amazing Spiderman 2 last week. And i can confirm too, that (Zimmer's) is definitely not how it is done. Mediocre score, meaningless movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

Volker

Absolutely gorgeous and beautiful and i have Martijn to thank about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That's how it's done.

Volker

Re-watched (with different company this time) Amazing Spiderman 2 last week. And i can confirm too, that (Zimmer's) is definitely not how it is done. Mediocre score, meaningless movie.

I actually thought the film was quite good, and the score VERY good -- both in context and on album.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I agree with Thor.

Just to show that it can happen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    shocked
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That's how it's done.

Volker

I actually thought the film was quite good, and the score VERY good -- both in context and on album.

Not at all, imo. In the first film we saw characters, drama, narrative. Now it's just silly detached from reality Spiderman going around doing silly things. Electro? His wrath and anger not justified, not studied (character-wise) enough in the film: just an angry black-now-blue dude. Score is intrusive, noisy and the cheesy leitmotif is ridiculous in this film. I understand what they tried to do but it doesn't fit at all with this on-screen spiderman i see. First score was more light-hearted, more 'old-school 90's' sounding and fitted the first movie, the more human-centered and kinda naive approach to spidey, very well. I think Zimmer's (and co) effort to turn him into a modern and sneaky little devil, actually failed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited
    Interestingly, many of the things you point as negative was what I liked about it -- the Electro character was fluidly built up and with multiple layers, the FX surprisingly grounded for a 3D film and the music was in-your-face and strong throughout. Love the vocal mumblings of the Electro theme.

Between this and THE ABYSS comment you had in the other thread, it's strange how our minds can react in such complete opposite ways to the same things.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a matter of seeing things differently again i think (at least for spidey 2). Your comments, i mean the things you liked, where , well , 'audiovisual' whilst i was let down but the non-existent character development and lack of strong story to justify anything in the spidey 2 film. Music was making the absence of the afore-mentioned even stronger.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - twilight: new moon

Very impressive, still at each (often) revisit. It always baffled me how one composer (of all the others that worked for the franchise) could actually get so inspired and motivated by this mess of movie(s) to create something so uniquely beautiful and meaningful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

Volker

Absolutely gorgeous and beautiful and i have Martijn to thank about this.

beer
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NO GOD, NO MASTER (Nuno Malo)

Wow. A brand new score by someone who is relatively unknown to me (I think I've heard the name mentioned once or twice before). Classically symphonic with wonderful melodic writing for piano and strings, in particular. This is surely one of the big breakthrough names of the year, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: NO GOD, NO MASTER (Nuno Malo)

Wow. A brand new score by someone who is relatively unknown to me (I think I've heard the name mentioned once or twice before). Classically symphonic with wonderful melodic writing for piano and strings, in particular. This is surely one of the big breakthrough names of the year, IMO.

I'll have to check that out.

Give THE CELESTINE PROPHECY a listen. I think it's gorgeous! It's on Spotify too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Also, check out this piece by Malo, it is utterly gorgeous....

Homage to John Barry
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Will check those out, thanks!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor his score for Amalia is fantastic. Nuno is such an excellent composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That's how it's done.

Volker

I disagree with the former part of that last sentence. I didn't like Zimmer's score on album until I finally saw it in context. There are so much good scoring that was done. Any moments between the Peter and Gwen was instantly elevated by the theme. The thematic material for Electro was highly theatrical and executed cinematic bravura (yes, hyperbolic, to make a point).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Fast & Furious - Brian Tyler

This 5 years old rock&roll/orchestral hybrid is more entertaining than most of Brian recent contributions from this year.
  5. lp wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

That's how it's done.

Volker

I disagree with the former part of that last sentence. I didn't like Zimmer's score on album until I finally saw it in context. There are so much good scoring that was done. Any moments between the Peter and Gwen was instantly elevated by the theme. The thematic material for Electro was highly theatrical and executed cinematic bravura (yes, hyperbolic, to make a point).

I see both scores on par as an isolated listening experiance. I liked Horner's score much in context. I can't say anything about the econd film as I just bought the DVD. I will probably see it sometime this weekend.

Volker