• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ So I said. smile

NP: La Revolution Francaise (1989) - Georges Delerue

Well, I never ... Wow! shocked

Volker

Absolutely gorgeous and beautiful and i have Martijn to thank about this.

I agree, it's one of Martijn's finest accomplishments, along with Krull and sex.
  1. I don't think there's an ointment for that.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. NP: Donovan's Reef (1963) - Cyril Mockridge

Playful easy listening this. Pleasant and harmless.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - twilight: new moon

Very impressive, still at each (often) revisit. It always baffled me how one composer (of all the others that worked for the franchise) could actually get so inspired and motivated by this mess of movie(s) to create something so uniquely beautiful and meaningful.

Now you got this theme stuck in my head smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Equaliser - Harry Gregson-Williams

The HGW quote in the PR about the score says it all, really: "Because the director wanted the action to be believable, the score had to be rooted in reality. We couldn't have French horns announcing this character as if he were some super hero."

Yes, this film really does sound so incredibly realistic ("A former black ops commando who faked his death for a quiet life in Boston comes out of his retirement to rescue a young girl and finds himself face to face with Russian gangsters") that the only thing preventing viewers from imagining they were looking at a documentary would have been a score that injected some emotion or drama.

Bland is grand!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    "ouch!"
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Agree totally. Then again, I've never been a HGW fan.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited
    NP: THE KNICK (Cliff Martinez)

This is so up my alley, it's ridiculous. Smooth electropop with soft beats and textures that just glide along. Gutsy choice for a period medical drama set to the early 20th century.

Cliff can do no wrong.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Agree totally. Love Cliff.

(What is happening!?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote

(What is happening!?)

Dunno? confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

This is more like it, chief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    lp wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - James Horner

That's how it's done.

Volker

Re-watched (with different company this time) Amazing Spiderman 2 last week. And i can confirm too, that (Zimmer's) is definitely not how it is done. Mediocre score, meaningless movie.

I disagree with the former part of that last sentence. I didn't like Zimmer's score on album until I finally saw it in context. There are so much good scoring that was done. Any moments between the Peter and Gwen was instantly elevated by the theme. The thematic material for Electro was highly theatrical and executed cinematic bravura (yes, hyperbolic, to make a point).

yeah except for not liking the album. I REALLY like the album!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    NP: Fast & Furious - Brian Tyler

This 5 years old rock&roll/orchestral hybrid is more entertaining than most of Brian recent contributions from this year.

Excellent score, some of his best writing to date.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE KNICK (Cliff Martinez)

This is so up my alley, it's ridiculous. Smooth electropop with soft beats and textures that just glide along. Gutsy choice for a period medical drama set to the early 20th century.

Cliff can do no wrong.

Love his writing. This score in particular, very good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.

The main theme is lovely, and all its calmer, soothing renditions. The dramatic material's pretty good then again it's the standard noise-with-electronic-mix that he uses since Domino, exactly the same sounds and order each and every time since, that's putting me a bit off the whole experience on album. If i program those cues out though, makes for a lovely and calm listen.
  3. Demetris wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Fast & Furious - Brian Tyler

This 5 years old rock&roll/orchestral hybrid is more entertaining than most of Brian recent contributions from this year.

Excellent score, some of his best writing to date.

You mean part four of the franchise? Interesting, after binge-listening to Tyler's career chronologically (with some single omissions due to not being aware that the albums for that existed), I actually think Fast and Furious 4 is his worst action score.

From this year I really dig Into the Storm. It might be the theme and John Adams references. TMNT while got some love from reviewers all over the world, was to me more of the same after Thor 2 which while sounds more like a typical Brian Tyler score introduces a way higher score for this kind of style.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, i meant FAST FIVE, my bad. I thought that lp (with the rock and roll comment) meant FAST FIVE as well.

This is some of Tyler's best work to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdFNLH-xQM
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

After seeing the brilliant UNDER THE SKIN last night, by the same director, i could only pop this beautiful classical-colored score by Desplat in, to compare how the hypnotizing bass lines from this one (along with one of the best pieces he's ever written: "Elegy") affect me in comparison to Mica Levi's mesmerizing drum pounding and clusters from last night wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

(What is happening!?)

Dunno? confused

Dunno pt 2 confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Afterwards

After Birth, popped this gem in. I think, by looking spherically at Desplat's career so far, even if he stopped writing now, he would still be one of the most brilliant modern-day composers we have today in film music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

(What is happening!?)

Dunno? confused

Dunno pt 2 confused

The answer, my friend.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall is the Shadow?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Afterwards

After Birth, popped this gem in. I think, by looking spherically at Desplat's career so far, even if he stopped writing now, he would still be one of the most brilliant modern-day composers we have today in film music.

Agree!
  4. Demetris wrote
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Birth

After seeing the brilliant UNDER THE SKIN last night, by the same director, i could only pop this beautiful classical-colored score by Desplat in, to compare how the hypnotizing bass lines from this one (along with one of the best pieces he's ever written: "Elegy") affect me in comparison to Mica Levi's mesmerizing drum pounding and clusters from last night wink

Pretty extraordinary film. I prefer that more recent film, myself, to BIRTH, but BIRTH is closer to being my taste in music.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THREE TOUGH GUYS - Isaac Hayes

Excellent, soul/jazz/funk/chilled score cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

(What is happening!?)

Dunno? confused

Dunno pt 2 confused

The answer, my friend.

...is blowing in the wind?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Yes
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    TMNT while got some love from reviewers all over the world, was to me more of the same after Thor 2 which while sounds more like a typical Brian Tyler score introduces a way higher score for this kind of style.

I'm not sure I get this. If Thor 2 is a more typical score for Tyler then how is it "way higher", or better than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? I vastly prefer the latter. If I had to rate the two out of 10 on a "freshness" scale I'd give Thor 2 a 3 and TMNT a 7 (which is about as fresh as a Tyler action score can get).
  6. Maybe just because I found the main theme in TMNT to be a rehash of the Marvel Fanfare smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website