• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    Demetris wrote
    No, i meant FAST FIVE, my bad. I thought that lp (with the rock and roll comment) meant FAST FIVE as well.

This is some of Tyler's best work to date: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLdFNLH-xQM

FAST FIVE IS Excellent, and definitely more entertaining than Fast & Furious. But my original comment stands.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : LA REVOLUTION FRANCAISE - Georges Delerue

Oh man!!! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    And it's all thanks to Martijn! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

This is wonderful. Touch of (modern) John Williams about it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    And it's all thanks to Martijn! beer

It could be? I can't remember who did and sent me the old CDR I had?

Probably Martijn or D...I dunno???
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    CDR's

Yes, it was that long ago. wink
  1. PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe just because I found the main theme in TMNT to be a rehash of the Marvel Fanfare smile

And Thor 2's is a rehash of Children of Dune, so... wink

I agree that TMNT's theme isn't anything special but the orchestrations that surround it are very impressive, IMO, some of the best and most dynamic writing I've ever heard from Tyler.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2014
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Somewhere between French and Eastern European influences for a very English story. It works and then some. Brilliant score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

This is wonderful. Touch of (modern) John Williams about it.

I get a Williams, Yared, Thomas Newman, Elfman vibe with this score. It's lovely. And with the film being released in limited engagements THIS year - having gone through the film festival circuit over the course of the past two - I think I'm going to include it on THIS years top 10 list.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I agree that TMNT's theme isn't anything special but the orchestrations that surround it are very impressive, IMO, some of the best and most dynamic writing I've ever heard from Tyler.

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Maybe just because I found the main theme in TMNT to be a rehash of the Marvel Fanfare smile

And Thor 2's is a rehash of Children of Dune, so... wink...

Is it? In that case I need it.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Timmer wrote

Oh man!!! cool

punk beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Volker

Tyler's DUNE score seems a bit of a favourite amongst some people. I think it's meh.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Volker

Tyler's DUNE score seems a bit of a favourite amongst some people. I think it's meh.

It's a big, big favourite of mine. I know some people think it to be a lift from some other score. I don't know that score so that never concerned me.
  5. There are two large lifts in Children of Dune.

There's the Mancini lift (his Lifeforce Theme, though that could pass as a rhythm, Ottman in X2 was much worse) and there is Now We Are Free Redux aka Inama Mushif (Montage). That one is quite bad.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. I think Erik named some other score sometime, but I can't remember. I love that score for what it is. It is my second favourite TV score, topped only by The Mists of Avalon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    To be fair I do think Children of Dune has one excellent track.
  7. NP: Rocky IV (1985) - Vince DiCola

Heja Thor, this is just as good as you said it was. As you said, there are some noticable influences of classic electronica:

"Anniversary" sounds like OPERA SAUVAGE (Vangelis)
    "Drago Suite": The breathing effect is a direct lift from JM Jarre's OXYGENE

Other tracks remind me of Jan Hammer and Giorgio Moroder.

Very nice. Great recommendation!

punk Volker
  8. Timmer wrote

Summon the Worms?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

I listened to it recently and didn't find it. I used to think it was quite good but couldn't understand why so many people went crazy over it. Now I think even "quite good" is a stretch - and this, despite the fairly recent "rediscovery" of the composer in my affections.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote

Oh man!!! cool

A second time? Oh go on!!!

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's absolutely brilliant, isn't it? Can't get enough of it myself.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Absolutely!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.

Having listened another couple of times for a review, I take that back. It is indeed awful.
  9. Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Volker

It's a big, big favourite of mine. I know some people think it to be a lift from some other score. I don't know that score so that never concerned me.

But I know for a fact that you've heard Gladiator, so... dizzy
  10. Seriously though, I'm honestly astonished at the acclaim that Children of Dune gets. It's an okay score - certainly an entertaining amalgam of temp-tracks, if nothing else - but I don't think I'd put it in even the upper third of Tyler's career works. And yet it's consistently hailed as the highlight of his career. I don't get it.
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Volker

But I know for a fact that you've heard Gladiator, so... dizzy

Yes, and there was something astronomical about Gladiator.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.

Having listened another couple of times for a review, I take that back. It is indeed awful.

Yup.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

cant wait for the arrival of the cd next week. i love all his scores to the tony scott movies and the samples from The Equalizer on itunes sound also amazing. i love this score style. the lovely piano motives, the melancholic string parts and the electronic rhythems are fantastic. harry is back with this style. im so happy.
  12. That makes one of us.