• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014
    Whatever floats your boat as they say. ( whoever "they" are )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014 edited
    NP : KOYANISQAATSI - Philip Glass

My introduction to Glass. Love it!

( heard this in a local HMV store and bought it there and then. Hard to believe that was back in the early 80's )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Erik named some other score sometime, but I can't remember.

The theme from Rabin's Deep Blue Sea. Man, I can't stand Children of Dune. The recording sucks, too

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Timmer wrote

( heard this in a local HMV store and bought it there and then. Hard to believe that was back in the early 80's )

I had the same experience with Goldsmith's Rambo First Blood: Part II. I had to buy it as soon as I heard it on the speakers in an HMV in Glasgow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I think Erik named some other score sometime, but I can't remember.

The theme from Rabin's Deep Blue Sea. Man, I can't stand Children of Dune. The recording sucks, too

-Erik-

It's the Four Chords, that's why it sounds so derivative (I also can't stand that score). At least with Thor 2 there's far better orchestrations fleshing them out.
  2. NP: Thor: The Dark World (2013) - Brian Tyler

Yep, this is Tyler in Dune-mode. I like it.

Concerning Children of Dune: I can hear all the lifts, I also noticed the Four Chord Progression. I don't regard this as great film music in an absolute sense. It works for me all the same. That probably has to do with the fact that I like the mini series a lot. Film and music are deeply connected in my awareness. If I like a film I tend to enjoy the music for that very reason. I don't analyse the music, I just experiance it and relive the film that way.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote

I had the same experience with Goldsmith's Rambo First Blood: Part II. I had to buy it as soon as I heard it on the speakers in an HMV in Glasgow.

I got my copy of Rambo II for free. There was an open air mini-film festival around the dockside area ( where we all met when you came to Bristol ), amongst those there were Gabriel Byrne, Greta Sciattchi, ( angelic ) Fiona Fullerton ( angelic ) and an at-that-time nearly unknown Daniel Day-Lewis. A film quiz was hosted at one point where goodies were handed out for correct answers, I won Rambo II, Michael Nyman's The Draughtsman's Contract, a Rambo II T-shirt and a Pale Rider T-shirt ( Clint Eastwood film and I still have the T-shirt ) all in succession. Before the 5th question the compere said anyone could answer except 'for that gentleman there' ( pointing at me ), happily he didn't say anyone could answer except for that smart-ass know it all smug git there wink

This was also the same event where David Puttnam said it had only been confirmed on that day that Ennio Morricone was scoring The Mission.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JULGAMENTO ( THE TRIAL ) - Nuno Malo

Not heard this before. Listening now on Spotify.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    Very enjoyable.

NP : IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD - Ernest Gold

It's about a world that's four times as mad as ours. Good score too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD - Bernard Herrmann

Debney recording. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CHINATOWN - Jerry Goldsmith

Quite rightly a classic. Brilliant score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ A fantastic day of listening right there!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    And it's all thanks to Martijn! beer

It could be? I can't remember who did and sent me the old CDR I had?

Probably Martijn or D...I dunno???

CD-R's? I never sent or received cd-r's by or to anyone. I don't do these piratey things.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Lars wrote
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.

Having listened another couple of times for a review, I take that back. It is indeed awful.

cant wait for the arrival of the cd next week. i love all his scores to the tony scott movies and the samples from The Equalizer on itunes sound also amazing. i love this score style. the lovely piano motives, the melancholic string parts and the electronic rhythems are fantastic. harry is back with this style. im so happy.

All that is beautiful indeed, but the horrible, always-the-same, electronica noise from DOMINO is also back as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    No God, No Master - Nuno Malo

This is wonderful. Touch of (modern) John Williams about it.

I get a Williams, Yared, Thomas Newman, Elfman vibe with this score. It's lovely. And with the film being released in limited engagements THIS year - having gone through the film festival circuit over the course of the past two - I think I'm going to include it on THIS years top 10 list.

-Erik-

Nuno is amazing. Check out AMALIA everyone, if you haven't already done so.

Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I agree that TMNT's theme isn't anything special but the orchestrations that surround it are very impressive, IMO, some of the best and most dynamic writing I've ever heard from Tyler.

yeah

Ah, what i did like from TMNT was the theme. The rest is too loud and too much for my tastes smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE CROODS (Alan Silvestri)

One of the better ones of Silvestri's recent output. OK, so the album is a tad bit long and the mickey-mousey stuff ain't my cup of tea, but it has enough great standalone tracks - like "Turkey Fish Follies" - to work!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well if you programme the mickey mousing out, which is awful, and it's practically 3/4 of the album, indeed there are some nice cues in there. Anyone saw the film? is it worth it?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    And it's all thanks to Martijn! beer

It could be? I can't remember who did and sent me the old CDR I had?

Probably Martijn or D...I dunno???

CD-R's? I never sent or received cd-r's by or to anyone. I don't do these piratey things.

That was D for my mate Diddy. Full name Puff Diddy, fucking pirate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Fucking pirate indeed. I'd imagine nowadays he also does those evil things, how you call them? mp3s or whatever, google and downloads etc? I've heard about those evil, evil things at the Church last Sunday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Well if you programme the mickey mousing out, which is awful, and it's practically 3/4 of the album, indeed there are some nice cues in there. Anyone saw the film? is it worth it?

Yeah, it's a pretty OK film. Lots of cool ideas.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Demetris wrote
    Lars wrote
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    It's not awful, I should say. It's not as bad as his Tony Scott scores. Just bland.

Having listened another couple of times for a review, I take that back. It is indeed awful.

cant wait for the arrival of the cd next week. i love all his scores to the tony scott movies and the samples from The Equalizer on itunes sound also amazing. i love this score style. the lovely piano motives, the melancholic string parts and the electronic rhythems are fantastic. harry is back with this style. im so happy.

All that is beautiful indeed, but the horrible, always-the-same, electronica noise from DOMINO is also back as well.

i know and i love it. its a great contrast to the orchestral part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Contrast? yeah. Great? not at all wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Domino? What a seriously fucking awful film, 127 minutes* of my life that I can never get back. I don't remember anything about the score which says everything.

*yes, I did have to look that up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    *main theme was nice , piano and strings sentimental stuff with some nice ethnic vocals (Man on Fire, latino version wink ). Thor will likely praise its audiovisual properties though wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    However you dress a turd it still stinks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    (my argument against Apple too wink)
  3. Timmer wrote

I wouldn't call it a complete turd, but the film went indeed too far in its style over subtance approach. I know that Tony Scott was aiming at a radically subjective style of filmmaking at the time, but unlike Man on Fire that particular world didn't call for such extravaganza, at least to that extent. At least it's better than the senseless remake of Pelham...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    (my argument against Apple too wink)

The words 'dog' and 'bone' come to mind....
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote

I wouldn't call it a complete turd, but the film went indeed too far in its style over subtance approach. I know that Tony Scott was aiming at a radically subjective style of filmmaking at the time, but unlike Man on Fire that particular world didn't call for such extravaganza, at least to that extent. At least it's better than the senseless remake of Pelham...

I agree with Pawel. DOMINO was too frenetic. MAN ON FIRE, on the other hand, is a wonderful film that succeeded at the very things DOMINO did not.
    I am extremely serious.