• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    (my argument against Apple too wink)

The words 'dog' and 'bone' come to mind....

You aving a giraffe?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014 edited
    NP: The World Is Not Enough - David Arnold

An immensely entertaining album. The action tracks are great (especially, "Come In 007..." and "Submarine", full of bombast and loaded in intensity). The sweeping melodies are there and good enough that I want to hear MORE. I'll be the first to admit that I enjoy EVERY Brosnan's Bond score that Arnold wrote. This score does deserve an expansion release. It's highly dramatic, and over-wrought (at point), but it's one of those scores that I will always come back to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AMALIA - Nuno Malo

D mentioned this one and I had to give it a try. Thank you mate, this is stunningly beautiful.

I can hear an influence of Nino Rota's 'The Immigrant' theme from The Godfather Pt II in this but that is no bad thing.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in
    The World is not Enough (1999) - David Arnold

I haven't listened to this score in ages. Great Song by Garbage.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Ian Fleming's James Bond 007 in
    The World is not Enough (1999) - David Arnold

I haven't listened to this score in ages. Great Song by Garbage.

Volker

Initially I thought the title song was sung by an aptly named band but in retrospect it isn't that bad, not a classic by any stretch but far better than a few of the songs that followed it. The score is pretty good if OTT at times.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Well if you programme the mickey mousing out, which is awful, and it's practically 3/4 of the album, indeed there are some nice cues in there. Anyone saw the film? is it worth it?

The Croods is good. Some great humor in it, and as usual the cute little animals are the perfect sidekicks to the humans. It's surprising in the comedy department, the rest hits the expected but good old spots

I'm still indecisive between 7 or 8 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (Harry Gregson-Williams)

Never been a HGW fan, but I remember vaguely liking this when the film came out (a brilliant film in its director's cut version, btw). Later, lots of people raved about it, so I acquired the soundtrack about a year ago. It still doesn't swipe me off the floor (that's the second time I've used that phrase today, and I'm not even sure it's correct), but it has some excellent tracks, including the centerpiece "Ibellin".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote

Never been a HGW fan, but I remember vaguely liking this when the film came out (a brilliant film in its director's cut version, btw). Later, lots of people raved about it, so I acquired the soundtrack about a year ago. It still doesn't swipe me off the floor (that's the second time I've used that phrase today, and I'm not even sure it's correct), but it has some excellent tracks, including the centerpiece "Ibellin".

"Sweep" is the word. FYI, not "bird".

If you think of the album as you would Vangelis' 1492 work, it's great as a conceptual album. I think it's a really understated score for the movie that seems to be more about subtext and less grand gestures.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks. Bird?!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    (my argument against Apple too wink)

The words 'dog' and 'bone' come to mind....

You aving a giraffe?

I once saw two giraffes have sex. It lasted for 4 seconds.

I remember it because I was quite impressed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thor wrote
    Thanks. Bird?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx2jq184

Sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Liberator - Gustavo Dudamel

I like this more and more with each listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Same here. Came off as a tad simplistic at first, but I'm starting to love the ethnic colouring and stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Can someone make a suite? The album is so boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (Maybe then you could make a boiled suite.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Be still my aching ribs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I...I thought that was pretty funny. shame
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Can someone make a suite? The album is so boring.

I'm with you! And I still think it's overly simplistic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    However you dress a turd it still stinks!

I wouldn't call it a complete turd, but the film went indeed too far in its style over subtance approach. I know that Tony Scott was aiming at a radically subjective style of filmmaking at the time, but unlike Man on Fire that particular world didn't call for such extravaganza, at least to that extent. At least it's better than the senseless remake of Pelham...

Man on Fire was an exceptional film and score at the time.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

The gorgeous 3-disc recording sessions whatever bootleg that leaked afterwards is what you need to hear. A lot of great material in there, and music is in its complete, non-cut-to-hell form, it breathes, it makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Liberator - Gustavo Dudamel

I like this more and more with each listen.

You don't need a suite people. Just programme everything out and listen to the gorgeous themes in:

"Quien puede detener la lluvia"
    "El 25 de septiembre de 1828"
    "Regreso e Venezuela"
    "Maria Teresa"
    "Jamaica"
    and the magnificent choral "Ellos estan con nosotros" and its orchestral rendition "Muere el Mariscal"
    "El ultimo viaje"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : AMALIA - Nuno Malo

D mentioned this one and I had to give it a try. Thank you mate, this is stunningly beautiful.

I can hear an influence of Nino Rota's 'The Immigrant' theme from The Godfather Pt II in this but that is no bad thing.

So glad you liked it mate, Nuno is such a great person, and an excellent composer. He deserves all the good that's coming to him.

n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - Coco

Listening to his back-catalogue (which started with Birth, Afterwards, and goes on these days, in random order). Man, this composer can do no wrong.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

The gorgeous 3-disc recording sessions whatever bootleg that leaked afterwards is what you need to hear. A lot of great material in there, and music is in its complete, non-cut-to-hell form, it breathes, it makes sense.

Somehow, I think that's not for me. wink

But as I said, the FILM is much better in its extended director's cut.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

You do realize this is THOR you're talking to, right?? dizzy

Although you're right, of course. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ I am not a fan of complete and chronological either but this is one rare case where releasing all the music made perfect sense 'cause it was heavily cut and dismantled in the theatrical version of the film and proper ost score release. Music was decapitated and would't complete in these first versions whilst in the three-disc recording sessions bootleg, a wholly different score was revealed.

n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - L'ennemi intime

L'ennemi intime, the opening cue and the last cue, 1959 extended, are two of the best compositions he ever wrote. The score is dark, noir, mysterious, but dramatic at the same time and the main theme "L'ennemi intime" is simply gorgeous. Underrated score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Three.... THREE discs of Harry Gregson-Williams.

I think not my friend.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    n.p. ALEXANDRE DESPLAT - L'ennemi intime

L'ennemi intime, the opening cue and the last cue, 1959 extended, are two of the best compositions he ever wrote. The score is dark, noir, mysterious, but dramatic at the same time and the main theme "L'ennemi intime" is simply gorgeous. Underrated score.

Not underrated by me! I love this and it may well be my favourite of his.
  4. NP: Thor: The Dark World (2013) - Bryan Tyler

The orchestras (!) credited are

The London Philharmonic Orchestra (no questions here)
    and
    The Philharmonic Orchestra of London

The latter of which I did not find on the net. Can anyone please explain the difference between these two orchestras? Or is this a marketing thing, like the Munich Symphonics calling themselves "Philharmonisches Orchester Graunke" when recording a film score?

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    NP: FREE BIRDS (Dominic Lewis)

The music for this animated 2013 film is really good, John Powell-style at times, although the album is too long. But I've heard that the film is pants? Has anyone seen it and care to comment? Oh, and why is the volume so insanely low?
    I am extremely serious.