• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Book Thief (Williams)

Mostly quite good. There's even a track in there that had me thinking of the romanticism of Bernard Herrmann, and that doesn't often happen when I listen to John Williams, I can tell you that.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013 edited
    NP: The Hobbit - The Desolation of Smaug (Howard Shore)

Some interesting throwbacks (forwards?!) to LOTR in here and some excellent new thematic material, particularly for the elves and the heritage of the dwarves. Unsurprisingly the album is very, very long and will require some close listening to digest all the nuances. Conrad Pope's involvement as orchestrator is not audibly apparent and the NZSO performs admirably (if only their performance of Shore's Kong were to be released).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Ook! shocked Parent-teacher conferences?
    I would need something rather stronger!

Mainlining Port... is that the new "in-thing" wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    I think Timmer and me are in complete agreement it's one of the finest synthesizer scores ever that we never play. cool

lol
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Tempting as it is to say that if you cut 30-40 of the most boring stuff out of this, you'd have a good album, I suspect that album would be almost precisely identical to the one from the first film.
  2. Ben Hur (1959) - Mikloz Rozsa / FSM

Again!
    But this time not on the PC at my place but on the big stereo at my parents'.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Southall wrote
    The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Tempting as it is to say that if you cut 30-40 of the most boring stuff out of this, you'd have a good album, I suspect that album would be almost precisely identical to the one from the first film.

in the film it didn't wow me, on album (haven't heard the final tracks yet) most of the moody music started to bore me

there was one final track that sounded nice in the film, so curious to see whether the final tracks will make me a fan of this album or not. But overall, waaaaaaaaaay too long
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2013
    NP: THE EAGLE (Atli Örvarsson)

This is actually quite good. Love the moody GLADIATOR-like segments the most.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I insist on calling that film "The Eagle of the Ninth".
    AND I deamd to see that obscure mini series adaptation the BBC seems to have made some centuries ago.
    AND I want to see a proper adaptation of that wonderful novel.

Volker
  5. NP: The Prince and the Pauper

This marvelous compilation brings together recordings, that Charles Gerhard did with the National Philharmonic Orchestra for Readers Digest, produced by George Korngold, who later would license these cues for VS.
    Those recordings are not related to the RCA Classics series.
    Of special note is the only recording of the theme from "Anne of the 1000 Days" (Delerue), that, to my knowledge, has ever been released on CD.
    Of speciel note also is Gerhardt's suite from "Henry V" (Walton) that uses the original score orchestrations.

http://www.amazon.de/Prince-Pauper-Orig … the+Pauper

George Korngold did not live to see the release of this album. It's dedicated to his memory.

A very great album and one of my earliest film music CDs.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain, I seriously recommend Maurice Jarre's fabulous version of the score, released on FSM under it's alternate title of CROSSED SWORDS.
  6. Are you quite sure, my dear Tim, you actually read my post? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes I did. Have you heard Jarre's score for the 1970's remake?
  7. All right, I then take back whatever I said and pronounce the opposite. tongue

I was a bit astonished because I did not say anything about "Prince and the Pauper".

No, I actually never heard about that film, let alone about that score. So thanks for the recommendation!

That's the way things go. I resolve to cut back on new purchases and along comes "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral", and now I might have to buye that Jarre, too. It's hopeless! dizzy

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2013 edited
    NP: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

Nothing says high adventure like "The Desolation of Smaug." <-- Worst. Title. Ever!

Anyway, Shore's music is pounding away while I do a bit of work. I skipped ahead to "The Forest River" cue when i got this album yesterday. Superb action track and one of the series very best, IMO. I hope this album plays much better than the rather lukewarm first Hobbit score did last year.

EDIT - Ok, I'm 12 tracks in and this is already better than An Unexpected Journey... by a country mile!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    Agreed. It's soooooo very good!
    I look forward to the Special Edition, "Bilbo throws a piece of paper in the trash" cue and all. cool wink
  8. Considering I loved An Unexpected Journey, this can only be good news! But I refuse to hear it before I see the movie and have the Special Edition in my hands. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Yes, if I am going to pay $17 bazillion dollars/pounds/euros/things for a 3D/IMAX/6D/virtual-reality-where-you-really-get-stabbed-by-an-orc this holiday season, it would be that one.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: PARKLAND - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Just found this on Spotify - I had no idea about this project. First listen...
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Book Thief (Williams)

Mostly quite good. There's even a track in there that had me thinking of the romanticism of Bernard Herrmann, and that doesn't often happen when I listen to John Williams, I can tell you that.

What is this "romanticism" and "Herrmann" in the same sentence? I thought Herrmann was all suspense/horror/action music. Please show me how I am wrong. Cretin that I am, I only know of things like "Psycho" and "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" which is the only Herrmann I ever bought and was not enough to make me want more.
  9. Forgive my iPhone brevity...

Ghost and mrs Muir
    Vertigo
    The finale of Fahrenheit 451
    Obsession
    Magnificent ambersons

Drink up -- the well is deep and the water sublime! smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE EAGLE (Atli Örvarsson)

This is actually quite good. Love the moody GLADIATOR-like segments the most.

Indeed; also check out Ironclad by Lorne Balfe if you haven't already, you'll like that one too!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

What is this "romanticism" and "Herrmann" in the same sentence? I thought Herrmann was all suspense/horror/action music. Please show me how I am wrong. Cretin that I am, I only know of things like "Psycho" and "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" which is the only Herrmann I ever bought and was not enough to make me want more.

Possibly romanticism in its musicological form, from the Romantic Era and style of writing especially as it was later carried on through the 20th century composers. Not the kisses and flowers type of romanticism.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    LSH wrote

And last? wink
  10. Demetris wrote
    LSH wrote

And last? wink

I should think so. freezing
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I would seriously recommend THIS ALBUM to you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SHORES OF HOPE - Nic Raine

My goodness but this is wonderful stuff love More than a hint of John Barry in this score too which I guess is not unsurprising considering Raine's history with JB.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote

I would seriously recommend THIS ALBUM to you.

Ok I will give it a try.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let us know what you think of it Matt.
  11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - John Williams
    The Collector's Edition

In terms of artistry I place this score before STAR WARS. I believe it is this score that secured Williams recognition among connoisseurs of classical music.

Volker