• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - John Williams
    The Collector's Edition

In terms of artistry I place this score before STAR WARS. I believe it is this score that secured Williams recognition among connoisseurs of classical music.

Volker

One of my favourite scores of all time. A towering work of utter brilliance.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Mine too. It's plastered all over my right arm, so I suppose it should be. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I thought that was Lady Gaga?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    No, that's on my vagina.
  1. Fitting. You once said you were very picky.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman; John Williams

The sound of this CD is stellar. Also there are some truely beautiful moments outside the Williams material and everything is wonderfully interwoven.

Still, my interest in the film isn't great enaugh to make me want the expanded edition. My interest in a score depends greatly on my interest in the film.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LITTLE WIZARD - Marc Timon Barceló & Miguel Cordeiro

This is wonderful. D and Tom are right, this is very very good.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Captain Future wrote
    My interest in a score depends greatly on my interest in the film.

Booooooo. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Superman Returns (2006) - John Ottman; John Williams

The sound of this CD is stellar. Also there are some truely beautiful moments outside the Williams material and everything is wonderfully interwoven.

Still, my interest in the film isn't great enaugh to make me want the expanded edition. My interest in a score depends greatly on my interest in the film.

Volker

Only the sound is stellar on this film, anything else, music included, i am afraid, is for the bin wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE LITTLE WIZARD - Marc Timon Barceló & Miguel Cordeiro

This is wonderful. D and Tom are right, this is very very good.

Glad you like it so much, dear Tim! Have you also checked out Castlevania by Oscar Araujo? (not a 2013 score). Check it out here http://www.amazon.fr/Castlevania-Ultima … mp;sr=1-37

As far as similarly great orchestral scores from 2013, be sure to check out

Christopher Drake's batman: arkham origins
    CHRISTOPHE HERAL - Rayman Legends
    KAZE TACHINU [THE WIND RISES], music by Joe Hisaishi
    JUSTIN AND THE KNIGHTS OF VALOUR (2013) - Ilan Eshkeri

n.p. HOWARD SHORE - Hobbit 2: the desolation of Smaug

Very, very good. Tracks like The forest river and a spell of concealment are excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Glad you like it so much, dear Tim! Have you also checked out Castlevania by Oscar Araujo? (not a 2013 score). Check it out here http://www.amazon.fr/Castlevania-Ultima … mp;sr=1-37

What's it like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I was almost sure you already knew this score?
  4. Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

What's it like?

Enormous orchestral and choral action writing a la Lord of the Rings, but much more sustained and relentless. It's probably the best video game score I've ever heard. punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Enormous orchestral and choral action writing a la Lord of the Rings, but much more sustained and relentless.

I'll probably stay away from it, then.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013 edited
    Y
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote

What's it like?

Enormous orchestral and choral action writing a la Lord of the Rings, but much more sustained and relentless. It's probably the best video game score I've ever heard. punk

One word to describe it: awesome!

Thor, listen to the maintitles of the 2nd score coming out in 2014: https://soundcloud.com/oscararaujo/osca … ania-lords it will knock your socks off i believe beer
  5. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Enormous orchestral and choral action writing a la Lord of the Rings, but much more sustained and relentless.

I'll probably stay away from it, then.

That's probably wise for the both of us. You, because you won't like it. Me, because I won't like the fact that you don't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Has anyone else found it more difficult to discern the themes and thematic structure in Desolation of Smaug in comparison to the much more direct and perhaps easier-digestible Hobbit?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I haven't yet found the stamina to listen to the soundtrack. I'm dreading it will be similar to the first one, which I deleted from my computer in pure annoyance! smile

But I'll see the film shortly. I'm more curious about that.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    I'm dreading it will be similar to the first one, which I deleted from my computer in pure annoyance! smile

biggrin
    My, but you ARE drastic!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Am I not, though? The drama, the DRAMA!
    I am extremely serious.
  6. I'm a completist here. I wanna see all standard editions, deluxe editions, complete recordings and rarities archieves sitting on my shelf. I want tunes as whisteled by Shore on the toilette, I WANT IT ALL!

Volker
  7. Captain Future wrote
    I want tunes as whisteled by Shore on the toilette, I WANT IT ALL!

Volker

As heard from both above and below the water?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm a completist here. I wanna see all standard editions, deluxe editions, complete recordings and rarities archieves sitting on my shelf. I want tunes as whisteled by Shore on the toilette, I WANT IT ALL!

Volker

I'm sure you do! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    I'm a completist here. I wanna see all standard editions, deluxe editions, complete recordings and rarities archieves sitting on my shelf. I want tunes as whisteled by Shore on the toilette, I WANT IT ALL!

Volker

And 2 more lives in order to listen to all of that wink
  8. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I want tunes as whisteled by Shore on the toilette, I WANT IT ALL!

Volker

As heard from both above and below the water?

By all means! biggrin
  9. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Volker

I'm sure you do! smile

Won't play here in Germania. But of course I know that song and you can't help but think of it when using that phrase.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Hook - John Williams

I absolutely adore this film until Pan/Banning arrives in Neverland, after which the whole thing becomes awfully uneven.
    The score reflects that: it's magical and ominous in the first twenty minutes (Hook-napped is one of my most favourite Williams cues), and then goes into a sort of Goonies mode.
    With the exception of Presenting The Hook, Remembering Childhood and the soaring You Are The Pan (that really outshines the scene it's meant to accompany) the rest of the score is merely pleasant, if still very melodic

Don't get me wrong: it's still very good 90s Williams which I greatly enjoy.
    It's just not as exquisite as so much of his other output around that time (Jurassic Park, Born on the Fourth of July, Far and Away, Schindler's List)
  10. That may be the first time I've ever read a comment about Hook that wasn't 100% pure, unadulterated praise. shocked