• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've always felt that a good reviewer (of anything) is not necessarily someone you always agree with, but rather someone where if you read the review, you can tell whether or not you would like what's being reviewed - regardless of whether the reviewer him/herself does.

The first thing I look for in a critic is the quality of writing. Then, for one I get to "know" through reading enough of his or her work - there needs to be a certain consistency of opinion. If someone thinks X is great and Y is awful but then I experience them and really, X is very similar to Y, then I stop reading that person.

It's interesting that you say that, because I do sometimes find myself wondering how someone can love Inception so much but not like the Dark Knight scores... wink

Both (well, all 4 actually) are fascinating modern scores to me.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014
    markrayen wrote
    christopher wrote
    CRESTFALLEN - Henrik Skram

First listen. Not much to it so far.

Very sincere effort for what I hear is a mediocre film. Skram has an amazing sensitivity for colours and texture, and uses melody in a sparing, but effective way. I'm looking forward to hearing the new score for the recent "Amnesia" smile

I was disappointed too 'cause his 90 minutes from msm score, was incredibly good. Not this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It has some interesting string textures, for sure, but it can be a bit challenging and grating eventually. The album really needs some room to 'breathe', but then again I guess the film didn't call for that (I haven't seen it).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I've always felt that a good reviewer (of anything) is not necessarily someone you always agree with, but rather someone where if you read the review, you can tell whether or not you would like what's being reviewed - regardless of whether the reviewer him/herself does.

The first thing I look for in a critic is the quality of writing. Then, for one I get to "know" through reading enough of his or her work - there needs to be a certain consistency of opinion. If someone thinks X is great and Y is awful but then I experience them and really, X is very similar to Y, then I stop reading that person.

It's interesting that you say that, because I do sometimes find myself wondering how someone can love Inception so much but not like the Dark Knight scores... wink

Both (well, all 4 actually) are fascinating modern scores to me.

I find them interesting in their own way but not particularly appealing to listen to...and I really don't like the direction that they have helped push film music in (i.e. non-fun, non-thematic and taking everything waaaaaay too seriously). It works in the Nolan movies but I don't like hearing that sound spreading over into everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought it worked in one of the Nolan movies. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    justin boggan wrote
    Atham wrote
    DONE!!!

phew ......I feel so much better now!

Context.

It's everything. wink

(think about it..... ;-)

I get ya, I get ya.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    But of course such orgasmic statements could only pertain to KRULL!!! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
    NP : WILD CHINA - Barnaby Taylor

Having just watched an episode on BBC 4 just now I just had to play this. Superb music to a fabulous documentary series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014
    Cefalonia - Ennio Morricone

In the beginning was the word; and the word was, Morricone is a [explicit content] genius. This sun-drenched WW2 score is utterly gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote

Having just watched an episode on BBC 4 just now I just had to play this. Superb music to a fabulous documentary series.

One of the best scores of last year. Haven't seen the series, though. I mentioned it among my honourable mentions in the recent Celluloid Tunes episode.

Edit: Sorry, that was WILD ARABIA. I haven't seen WILD CHINA.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

One of the best scores of last year. Haven't seen the series, though. I mentioned it among my honourable mentions in the recent Celluloid Tunes episode.

Edit: Sorry, that was WILD ARABIA. I haven't seen WILD CHINA.

Both series are excellent, quality TV. Both scores by Barnaby Taylor are great too.

Thor, you can check out Wild China on Spotify.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014 edited
    NP : THE BANNER SAGA - Austin Wintory

Oh man, this is great! I like this a lot.

I refer you to Pete Simons review for more information...

THE BANNER SAGA.
  2. NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Hans Z..., I mean Klaus Badelt wink

A splendid score, save you think there is a law that films featuring pirates shall forever be scored in Korngold mode.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Hans Z..., I mean Klaus Badelt wink

A splendid score, save you think there is a law that films featuring pirates shall forever be scored in Korngold mode.

Volker

I love those scores, but they were really the last cry of the Zimmer power anthems. Hasn't been much of that since. Which is a bit sad, since I love that sound, but trends come and go.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) - Hans Z..., I mean Klaus Badelt wink

Volker

I love those scores, but they were really the last cry of the Zimmer power anthems. Hasn't been much of that since. Which is a bit sad, since I love that sound, but trends come and go.

I thought you didn't like bombast? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2014
    He, he...I can take it now and then, just to break things up.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Talking of which (awesome, orchestral bombast!)

RUBINROT - Philipp F. Koelmel

Have you listened to it?
  4. Nope. But I'll keep that in mind! Meanwhile ...

NP: The Sea Hawk - Erich Wolfgang Korngold
    The Utah Symphony Orchestra; Varujan Koijan. Produced by George Korngold for VS.

As much as I admire the Naxos/Marco Polo recording, this album was my first love. It's glorious!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    RUBINROT is certainly one of the most interesting scores in 2013, was a surprise for many smile
  5. NP: Cutthroat Island (1998) - John Debney

This should conclude tonights journey of great pirate scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Talking of which (awesome, orchestral bombast!)

RUBINROT - Philipp F. Koelmel

Have you listened to it?

Yeah. It's OK, but nothing more, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Chariots of the Gods? (1970) - Peter Thomas

The "futuristic" score for a documentary featuring the ideas of author Erich von Däniken about how prehistoric earth was visited by aliens who helped shape human history. Jazzy-experimental stuff.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Chariots of the Gods? (1970) - Peter Thomas

The "futuristic" score for a documentary featuring the ideas of author Erich von Däniken about how prehistoric earth was visited by aliens who helped shape human history. Jazzy-experimental stuff.

Volker

I'm old enough to have been young enough to have swallowed Von Daniken's bull shit dizzy

Such wonderous and naïve times.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Bullshit or not, it's certainly an interesting sci fi concept which in turn has inspired films such as WAR OF THE WORLDS and PROMETHEUS.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. And Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! Don't forget that one. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, that too. I actually like that film, warts and all, and think it got an undeserved rap.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. It's very hit and miss, but it has some decent parts, yes. I think the same thing about the prequels. It's kind of fun to play up the fanboy ire from time to time though. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Bullshit or not, it's certainly an interesting sci fi concept which in turn has inspired films such as WAR OF THE WORLDS and PROMETHEUS.

WAR OF THE WORLDS? confused
  9. Yeah, how does H. G. Wells relate to Daniken's theories?!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. I think Thor is referring to the Spielberg film in which it's implied that the aliens (or at least, their tripod ships) have been lying in wait underground for millenia. A little tidbit that wasn't in the original novel.