• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, I would agree with Martijn's sentiments there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013
    I haven't played HOOK for a long time but my feelings for the score mirrors Martijn's.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There you go, 3 of us are in agreement already Edmund wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Hook - John Williams

I absolutely adore this film until Pan/Banning arrives in Neverland, after which the whole thing becomes awfully uneven.

I feel the opposite. I find the beginning rather saccharine, but when they get to Neverland you're envelopped in the glorious production design, Dustin Hoffman's histrionics and John Williams' awesome score. I think it's a rather underrated film, and the score is one of my JW favourites (although I could be without the endless mickey-mousey stuff of tracks like "Ultimate War"). I think there's an absolutely fantastic 50-minute program in there somewhere.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Pawel's and Martijn's discussion over at "Recent Viewings" inspired me to now play

Gone With the Wind (1937) - Max Steiner
    Rhino singel CD edition.

I often play Gerhardt's seminal re-recording. But this time it's the original.

(Before that I mauled my USB midi controller. I bought some new Native Instruments software: Retro Machines love)

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE HUNGER GAMES: CATCHING FIRE - James Newton Howard

This would make decent background atmosphere while reading a book but as a stand alone listen my patience is being tested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What if you need a Coaster for your coffee while reading the book?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Demetris wrote
    Has anyone else found it more difficult to discern the themes and thematic structure in Desolation of Smaug in comparison to the much more direct and perhaps easier-digestible Hobbit?

Thank you D! I thought I was the only one but you have to admit it is grande! It's the second time I'm listening to it and I will have more to say after that! wink
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Tim are you lost for words every time I appear, that's wht you edited your comment? tongue kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    What if you need a Coaster for your coffee while reading the book?

Put the equally ho-hum score from the first Hunger Games in and use Catching fire for the coaster I guess? Simple really! wink

( though Horn of Plenty is another of those rare shining moments in JNH's ever decreasing ability to deliver great, memorable scores )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Stavroula wrote
    Tim are you lost for words every time I appear, that's wht you edited your comment? tongue kiss

edit
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    shame wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Space Shuttle Columbia: Mission Of Hope - Blake Neely

This may -quite unexpectedly- well be my favourite score of 2013.
    It's quite low-key, but very strong emotionaly and melodically.
    It's....well....what I said here, basically. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Space Shuttle Columbia: Mission Of Hope - Blake Neely

This may -quite unexpectedly- well be my favourite score of 2013.
    It's quite low-key, but very strong emotionaly and melodically.
    It's....well....what I said here, basically. smile

It has become one of my favourites too! wink kiss
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Timmer wrote
    ( though Horn of Plenty is another of those rare shining moments in JNH's ever decreasing ability to deliver great, memorable scores )

I don't think ability has anything to do with it.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Timmer wrote

I don't think ability has anything to do with it.

"Ouch!" Yeah! bad choice of word there but you get the gist.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    and the score is one of my JW favourites (although I could be without the endless mickey-mousey stuff of tracks like "Ultimate War").

All of the action material in Hook starting with The Ultimate War is on the same level as his Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom material, which contains some of the very best action music Williams has ever written. Williams' Hook is bonafide masterpiece.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SYMPHONY # 7 'LENINGRAD' - Dmitri Shostakovitch

One of the most awesome works of music ever written, this music will tear you to pieces and boot your scattered remains for miles in every direction.

This version is Kiril Kondrashin and the Moscow symphony, my favourite performance but a shame the recording is so shrill.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Wrong thread?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote

Don't we all? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Wrong thread?

Indeed!

Still, it's pretty much like film music if film music was written by a god. Parts of it are also used in Ken Russell's Billion Dollar Brain starring Michael Caine as Harry Palmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Demetris wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Don't we all? wink

Is it so? Do tell!

I know! I'll get my coat! tongue kiss hug
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Urgh, I've been trying to find some YouTube clips of Space Shuttle Columbia, but they do not seem to be there at present.
    For those who have Spotify, I urge you to seek out this score, or at least try the beautiful track 'The Scroll Carries The Man' and the thoroughly melancholic, piano-driven 'Ilan's Theme'
    Seriously. Worth it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Urgh, I've been trying to find some YouTube clips of Space Shuttle Columbia, but they do not seem to be there at present.
    For those who have Spotify, I urge you to seek out this score, or at least try the beautiful track 'The Scroll Carries The Man' and the thoroughly melancholic, piano-driven 'Ilan's Theme'
    Seriously. Worth it!

I listened to it on Spotify after you praised it some weeks ago, I liked it but need to give it another listen to sink in more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, it's not very 'in your face', but I really find it a very lovely score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Seriously. Worth it!

Great score indeed, among 2013's top scores imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote

...but that's not by JNH!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote

...but that's not by JNH!

Ah, Greenaway's contribution I presume?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I prefer the days when you knew who it was composed and conducted by, not a select committee of names.