• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think Thor is referring to the Spielberg film in which it's implied that the aliens (or at least, their tripod ships) have been lying in wait underground for millenia. A little tidbit that wasn't in the original novel.

yeah
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2014
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, that too. I actually like that film, warts and all, and think it got an undeserved rap.

how to survive being nuked by climbing into a fridge
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Yeah, that too. I actually like that film, warts and all, and think it got an undeserved rap.

A hilarious sequence, but actually one of the highlights of the film, IMO (it was Spielberg's idea, not Lucas'). Love the buildup in the 'fake city' too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I think Thor is referring to the Spielberg film in which it's implied that the aliens (or at least, their tripod ships) have been lying in wait underground for millenia. A little tidbit that wasn't in the original novel.

This is true. Impressive concept and execution though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE WIND GODS (Pinar Toprak)

Never heard of the composer before I got this, but it's a pretty good score. Especially the more lyrical cues, but also parts of the more dramatic music that conjures images of the wind, sea and sailing.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

A hilarious sequence, but actually one of the highlights of the film, IMO (it was Spielberg's idea, not Lucas'). Love the buildup in the 'fake city' too.

Afterwards, even Spielberg thought it was stupid!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I know. Call it a guilty pleasure, if you will.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It made for a nice shot though. (That's about the best thing you can about this film. Well, that and the diner action scene. That was pretty good.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

yeah

And got the flu once they got out and under a little rain. Crap.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yup! Killed by microbes. Both film versions keep to the books ending in that sense.

I like both films but George Pal's 1953 version is an absolute classic, that is the one I can watch time and again.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Steven wrote
    It made for a nice shot though. (That's about the best thing you can about this film. Well, that and the diner action scene. That was pretty good.)

Good except for the worst use of the Wilhelm Scream ever...
  2. edit
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes, that seems connected to Lovecraft rather than Wells. A connection to von Däniken I don't see either.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes, that seems connected to Lovecraft rather than Wells. A connection to von Däniken I don't see either.

yeah

Explain the Von Daniken link please.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

yeah

Explain the Von Daniken link please.

Who? Thor?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, Thor or Edmund.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Just the basic idea about aliens having been on earth since the dawn of time and may even have had some sort of impact on us (granted, Spielberg's WAR OF THE WORLDS only hints at this idea).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I am currently writing my own science fiction film about a Norwegian film music fan who doesn't favour chronological and complete presentations of film scores and who has been buried under the earth since the dawn of time. It is of course called Thor of the Worlds.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I'm sorry to say that he ends up getting the flu and dying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  5. Will he lay waste to Oslo with his heat beam?

Volker
  6. Southall wrote
    I am currently writing my own science fiction film about a Norwegian film music fan who doesn't favour chronological and complete presentations of film scores and who has been buried under the earth since the dawn of time. It is of course called Thor of the Worlds.

Don't you know, death is too good for this Norwegian. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote

Will it be scored with babbling brooks, celestes and soft pillows?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    No - too bombastic. The temp-track is one of the crowning musical achievements of the 21st century, Steve Jablonsky's Pain and Gain. (Actually I had already disposed of that album, so I asked a pair of mating walruses to climb over a keyboard. The results were a little more intellectually stimulating than Jablonsky's music, but otherwise pretty much interchangeable.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    tongue
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    applause
    Kazoo
  7. Southall wrote
    No - too bombastic. The temp-track is one of the crowning musical achievements of the 21st century, Steve Jablonsky's Pain and Gain. (Actually I had already disposed of that album, so I asked a pair of mating walruses to climb over a keyboard. The results were a little more intellectually stimulating than Jablonsky's music, but otherwise pretty much interchangeable.)

LOL!
  8. Southall wrote

punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Monuments Men - Alex D

This is somehow both unusually big by his standards, and yet unusually light and at times very witty. Superb stuff.