• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    The Monuments Men - Alex D

This is somehow both unusually big by his standards, and yet unusually light and at times very witty. Superb stuff.

Some of it sounds horrible: e.g., "Basic Training" and the "End Credits". I can't even get through the audio clips!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Summer In February Rachel Port... Benjamin Wallfisch

Chance would be a fine thing. But no, this is quite lovely.
  2. Southall wrote

This is somehow both unusually big by his standards, and yet unusually light and at times very witty. Superb stuff.

I've only heard the 10 minute suite that the label put up, but it's great to hear a Ron Goodwin style war-adventure score with modern recording quality and the detail of Desplat's orchestrations. I'm not terribly into this genre of film score, but I can take a good one every decade or so. smile
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  3. Southall wrote
    Really!?

Yes, I am afraid so. There sounds as though there are some dramatic cues that I would enjoy. But, "light" and "witty" (comedic) tracks are usually a no-no for me and the whistling here just annoys me.

Hoping for a promo so I can listen to it because I won't be buying this one.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Indeed. Very Williams-esque too, at points. Loved it.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

I've only heard the 10 minute suite that the label put up, but it's great to hear a Ron Goodwin style war-adventure score with modern recording quality and the detail of Desplat's orchestrations. I'm not terribly into this genre of film score, but I can take a good one every decade or so. smile

It's good!

Steven wrote

Gorgeous score, glad you're liking it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

If Rachel Portman had scored it, it would just be same theme (albeit lovely theme) over and over again.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Indeed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote

Ron Goodwin!? Now dems the magic words. Desplat in a Goodwin style. I MUST hear this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's on Spotify already Tim!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

If Rachel Portman had scored it, it would just be same theme (albeit lovely theme) over and over again.

The only score i remember i loved from Portman was THE HUMAN STAIN and parts of the Manchurian candidate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    CHOCOLAT and THE CIDERHOUSE RULES have gorgeous themes, but a bit too repetitative
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : STALINGRAD - Angelo Badalamenti

What can I say? How about that I agree with others here that it is the score of 2013.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : STALINGRAD - Angelo Badalamenti

What can I say? How about that I agree with others here that it is the score of 2013.

Welcome aboard! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The tenth best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Not sure it's the score, but it's definitely one of the better ones!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    CHOCOLAT and THE CIDERHOUSE RULES have gorgeous themes, but a bit too repetitative

I would say that about a lot of her scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

The only score i remember i loved from Portman was THE HUMAN STAIN and parts of the Manchurian candidate.

You also liked Never Let Me Go, which was wise, because it's brilliant.
  5. Don't forget a great little score from her called "Benny & Joon"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  6. my favorite of her remains The Legend of Bagger Vance, works wonders in the film too
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. My favourite is The Cider House Rules. Probably because I am a big fan of John Irving.

And I have a soft spot for Beloved. Probably because I am also a big fan of Tony Morrison.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    My favourite is The Cider House Rules. Probably because I am a big fan of John Irving.

That theme is absolutely fantastic in its Delerue-ian sentiment. Too bad it's repeated a little too often. But when I play it just once -- in a compilation or something -- it never fails to give me the goosebumps. If memory serves, I played this in my Celluloid Tunes episode on female film composers.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lovely theme, but I liked it better in Rudy.
  8. confused Can't hear even a faint resemblance.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2014 edited
    I'd never actually picked up on it before, but they are very similar, certainly in tone at the very least.. (Though I wouldn't go as far as saying Portman 'stole' anything from Goldsmith. More a coincidence I would imagine, and a pleasant one at that.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Temp-track at a guess. No stealing, but if one wasn't written after studying the other, then I'm a Dutchman. And nobody would want that, especially the Dutch.
  9. Well, the general style is somewhat similar, that's true. Temp-treck it might be.
  10. Rachel Portman has done some great work, but I would say the idea of a single theme -- two at the most -- is pretty intrinsic to her notion of scoring. Only CHOCOLAT (several themes) and MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE (her most Herrmanesque motif driven score) come to mind as breaking the pattern. I think she shows that as far as a film is concerned, one solid idea is all you need (something which much of the career of Barry also exhibits, and to some extent 70s Goldsmith). It's in the album that it always wears thin.

NP: Queen of Carthage (Brian Byrne)

Playing off this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQVhQcKAyEg
    I like it. Nice score going on these samples.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Captain Future wrote
    confused Can't hear even a faint resemblance.

Volker

Not even close!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!