• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Southall wrote
    The Monuments Men - Alex D

This is somehow both unusually big by his standards, and yet unusually light and at times very witty. Superb stuff.

Listening to this at the moment. So far I've heard people calling this Desplat via Goodwin or Elmer Bernstein. The "Opening Titles" reminds me more of Chicken Run. Very uneven for me this one. The dramatic tracks are good (when he's actually Desplat) but I just keep skipping the lighter stuff - which luckily isn't too much.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote
    Summer In February Rachel Port... Benjamin Wallfisch

Chance would be a fine thing. But no, this is quite lovely.

If Rachel Portman had scored it, it would just be same theme (albeit lovely theme) over and over again.

The only score i remember i loved from Portman was THE HUMAN STAIN and parts of the Manchurian candidate.

You also liked Never Let Me Go, which was wise, because it's brilliant.

Yeah, that one too, gorgeous score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

This is somehow both unusually big by his standards, and yet unusually light and at times very witty. Superb stuff.

Listening to this at the moment. So far I've heard people calling this Desplat via Goodwin or Elmer Bernstein. The "Opening Titles" reminds me more of Chicken Run. Very uneven for me this one. The dramatic tracks are good (when he's actually Desplat) but I just keep skipping the lighter stuff - which luckily isn't too much.

If you read the movie's review (which doesn't seem to be too good btw), it all makes sense (the wacky opening etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Why in the actual fuck do I not listen to this more often? It sounds far better than the taste of all the shit food I ate over American Gluttony Weekend of February.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014 edited
    NP: MATKA EDENIIN - A JOURNEY TO EDEN (Pascal Gaigne)

Very interesting, stringdriven score from 2011. "Artsy", but not so much that it becomes alienating.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    It's on Spotify already Tim!

So it is.

NP : THE MONUMENTS MEN - Alexandre Desplat

smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I'm inclined to mostly agree with you. The opening titles reminded me more of John Addison's A Bridge Too Far than Chicken Run.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    NP: The Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer

Why in the actual fuck do I not listen to this more often? It sounds far better than the taste of all the shit food I ate over American Gluttony Weekend of February.

Gorgeous indeed!

Thor wrote
    NP: MATKA EDENIIN - A JOURNEY TO EDEN (Pascal Gaigne)

Very interesting, stringdriven score from 2011. "Artsy", but not so much that it becomes alienating.

Loved it, also all of Gaigne's works this year are very notable, especially the operatic THE LAST LIFE OF LUCIFER
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    RoboCop - Pedro Bromfman

This is, well, a bit, you know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Let me some that one up for you, James.

vomit
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    That's putting it kindly. It's dire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I note that Gavin Greenaway was the conductor but am not sure if Bromfman received the full array of Remote Control "help" - it sounds like he may have done.
  2. Who is this Bromfman anyway? He's not associated with RC as far as I know and I've never heard of him until now - how did he land himself such a relatively high-profile gig? Did the director bring him along for the ride?

I haven't heard the score but I have heard that the best thing to be said about it is that it briefly tips the hat to Poledouris' theme at one point. I'll give him some props for that alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I haven't heard the score but I have heard that the best thing to be said about it is that it briefly tips the hat to Poledouris' theme at one point. I'll give him some props for that alone.

"Hey guys, I can't come up with my own memorable theme so here's Poledouris' original to remind you how much more awesome the original film and score was."

Pfffffffffffffft!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Well, that's more than Bates did for Conan...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

Who's this guy btw? "Vallon's Warehouse" is kinda nice. The whole thing sounds like horribly dated RC junk from the gutter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    BUT I LIKE ALL RC THINGS STOP MAKING FUN OF IT WAHHHH

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Who's this guy btw? "Vallon's Warehouse" is kinda nice. The whole thing sounds like horribly dated RC junk from the gutter.

No imagination or creativity whatsoever.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorLars
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Who is this Bromfman anyway? He's not associated with RC as far as I know and I've never heard of him until now - how did he land himself such a relatively high-profile gig? Did the director bring him along for the ride?

bromfman was brought in by the director. he also scored the movies Tropa De Elite 1 and 2 for the director in the past. 2 fantastic movies btw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LA MULA (Oscar Navarro)

Nice, traditional, romantic score with a Hispanic De Falla thing going on and some militaristic elements.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2014
    The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

Not too many boring scores from the ever consistent Desplat, to be honest, but this is surely one of them.

Now onto Zathura - John Debney

One of the best things he's ever done; brilliant action music, almost as good as any he's written. A highly enjoyable romp of an album too.
  3. Thor wrote

Nice, traditional, romantic score with a Hispanic De Falla thing going on and some militaristic elements.

I love that opening track, "Love Story." That's big and romantic and old school. The whole album was pretty good, but that first track really made me sit up. I love being surprised by great music and that cue did it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Lovely, gorgeous score. Same goes for Cesar Benito's EL TIEMPO ENTRE COSTURAS

n.p. JAVIER NAVARETTE - Byzantium

Hypnotic, mesmerizing, beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Lovely, gorgeous score. Same goes for Cesar Benito's EL TIEMPO ENTRE COSTURAS

Yeah, they belong somewhat in the same category.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: The Abyss (Deluxe Edition) - Alan Silvestri

Yep, it's great. Wonderful stuff. So glad Varese finally released a deluxe version.
    I made my own album edit for a single disc version.
    Minor gripe being the (choral) film version of "Bud On The Ledge" being omitted
    from this release, which is strange considering how otherwise thorough this set is!
    So I took the album version of the cue then overlaid the audio from the DVD featuring
    the choir, dropped it a notch and now I have the missing version of the cue.
    Yeah, too much time on my hands. Sad I know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DIE NORDSEE - UNSER MEER (Oliver Heuss)

I think this is a German documentary about the North Sea, but interesting to hear their take on Scandinavia and Norway through the music (although there isn't really anything in terms of local colour). It's nice and melodic, with appropriate sweep when needed. Not as good as some of my film music colleagues make it out to be, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : PLAYING BY HEART - John Barry

Normally this is more late night listening but I just fancied some smooth jazz. love
  4. Partly inspired by a certain Facebook post? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Spot on Pawel.
  5. Thor wrote
    NP: DIE NORDSEE - UNSER MEER (Oliver Heuss)

I think this is a German documentary about the North Sea, but interesting to hear their take on Scandinavia and Norway through the music (although there isn't really anything in terms of local colour). It's nice and melodic, with appropriate sweep when needed. Not as good as some of my film music colleagues make it out to be, though.

crazy

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn