• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Space Battleship Yamato (2010) - Naoki Sato; Hiroshi Miyagawa

Gay ol' orchestral scifi romp. Great score!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014
    The Wolverine - Marco Beltrami

Typically stacked with solid action cues. The filler material is mediocre. The first of the good bits, 'Logan's Run', is possibly the best of the lot with its unusual rhythmic, percussive orchestrations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stalingrad Angelo Badalamenti

On second listen, this isn't so interesting. Not sure I understand the hype on this one. Even the highlight of the score, the heroic, power anthem type theme, sounds like something most RC composers could write.
  2. It sounds like something Morricone wrote decades ago.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True, it does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I hear more Trevor Jones in it than anything else. Combined with Badalamenti's CITY OF THE LOST CHILDREN. RC composers have a knack for power anthems, but not for good ol'fashioned long orchestral themes in the classical sense, such as Jones', and such as this score here; the themes are loveable and grand, instantly memorable and the score has a very nice structure; although i can see why some would consider it a bit dated as a listen.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014 edited
    David OC wrote

Typically stacked with solid action cues. The filler material is mediocre. The first of the good bits, 'Logan's Run', is possibly the best of the lot with its unusual rhythmic, percussive orchestrations.

I don't think that Beltrami, with the exception of Angel Eyes and the gorgeous I AM DINA, has a particular gift for melody. Now, action cues though, are his real forte. However, he rarely comes along as inspired as he was in the past anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I hear more Trevor Jones in it than anything else. Combined with Badalamenti's CITY OF THE LOST CHILDREN. RC composers have a knack for power anthems, but not for good ol'fashioned long orchestral themes in the classical sense, such as Jones', and such as this score here; the themes are loveable and grand, instantly memorable and the score has a very nice structure; although i can see why some would consider it a bit dated as a listen.

Yeah, I can hear that too! dizzy

Whatever it is, it's good - but not amazing. (At least not to my ears.)
  3. Steven wrote
    On second listen, this isn't so interesting. Not sure I understand the hype on this one. Even the highlight of the score, the heroic, power anthem type theme, sounds like something most RC composers could write.

True...and that's part of what makes it so great! You rarely hear those anthemic RC tendencies rendered in such an organically ballsy and kick-ass environment. That brass, that stomping percussion, I love it. And yeah, those sweeping themes and the Morriconean vocals? lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2014 edited
    Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag Freedom Cry Olivier Deriviere

Only five tracks from the promo, but what a magnificent five tracks they are. The most impressive Assassin's Creed music yet. I really hope this composer picks up more work, because he is a beacon of hope in an ocean of smaug.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Speaking of [spoiler]Morricone[/spoiler], this one's [spoiler]really rather good[/spoiler].
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Speaking of [spoiler]Morricone[/spoiler], this one's [spoiler]really rather good[/spoiler].

[spoiler]it's a genius score..... FACT!!!![/spoiler]
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

I don't think that Beltrami, with the exception of Angel Eyes and the gorgeous I AM DINA, has a particular gift for melody. Now, action cues though, are his real forte. However, he rarely comes along as inspired as he was in the past anymore.

Also Soul Surfer? Still one of my all-time favorite albums 3 years later.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hoosiers - Jerry Goldsmith

Now this one makes me feel [spoiler]good. That's right, I said[/spoiler] good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hoosiers is brilliant. Not so sure about Best Shot though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014
    Best Shot is [spoiler]like a ghost without his apparatus, like a diplodocus on a soap box[/spoiler] - need I say more?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Django - Luis Bacalov

I'm on [spoiler]a fucking roll![/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Best Shot is [spoiler]like a ghost without his apparatus, like a diplodocus on a soap box[/spoiler] - need I say more?

[spoiler]Oovavoo... iranoo[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh my, it's the [spoiler]dove from above[/spoiler].
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I always preferred the fox. He liked [spoiler]gin[/spoiler].
  4. What about: [spoiler]monkeys always look[/spoiler]
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER and LISA GERRARD - Bible mini series

Someone should forbid this kind of scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    HANS ZIMMER - Lone Ranger

Now this, this is good! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Non-Stop - John Ottman

Terrible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

God.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: HITCHCOCK (Danny Elfman)

I just got the CD. There are subtle hints to Herrmann, but mostly it's Elfman in his more minimalist style with discrete elements of his more melodic approach from yesteryear. It's very nice!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

God.

I've heard that the show is hilarious!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    They've turned it into a film now and the good news is that Zimmer and Balfe are back to adapt their appalling music. Wonder if they'll send me a promo this time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

Give me a break!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!