• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

Marvin Hamlisch wrote the line Nobody Does It Better in tribute to John Barry.

FACT!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Non-Stop - John Ottman

Terrible.

Like his entire output post 2000 and with few exceptions?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    The Wolverine - Marco Beltrami

Typically stacked with solid action cues. The filler material is mediocre. The first of the good bits, 'Logan's Run', is possibly the best of the lot with its unusual rhythmic, percussive orchestrations.

I don't think that Beltrami, with the exception of Angel Eyes and the gorgeous I AM DINA, has a particular gift for melody. Now, action cues though, are his real forte. However, he rarely comes along as inspired as he was in the past anymore.

Give me a break!

-Erik-

Which scores prove otherwise?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    They've turned it into a film now and the good news is that Zimmer and Balfe are back to adapt their appalling music. Wonder if they'll send me a promo this time.

Seriously, they're making a film out of this atrocity? Or are you joking?
  1. Yeah, a Christ biography.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2014 edited
    No, Pawel i was sure it was obvious that i didn't mean the Bible itself but this specific cheesy and awful production.
  2. Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

Typically stacked with solid action cues. The filler material is mediocre. The first of the good bits, 'Logan's Run', is possibly the best of the lot with its unusual rhythmic, percussive orchestrations.

I don't think that Beltrami, with the exception of Angel Eyes and the gorgeous I AM DINA, has a particular gift for melody. Now, action cues though, are his real forte. However, he rarely comes along as inspired as he was in the past anymore.

Give me a break!

-Erik-

A Good Day to Die Hard. FACT!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    No, Pawel i was sure it was obvious that i didn't mean the Bible itself but this specific cheesy and awful production.

biggrin

...I'm pretty sure that's what Pawel meant. wink
  3. Yeah biggrin

They're editing a cinematic feature out of the Christ episodes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote
    Non-Stop - John Ottman

Terrible.

Like his entire output post 2000 and with few exceptions?

Yes (and I'd throw pre 2000 in as well, but perhaps that's too cruel).
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    He's mostly generic and auto-pilotish. I never figured out what his style (if any) really is. And Superman Returns was one of the biggest disappointments i had with major scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote

Give me a break!

-Erik-

A Good Day to Die Hard. FACT!!!!

yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    face-palm-mt

Southall and Demetris have gone back to Weirdtardedland again.

JACK THE FUCKING GIANT SLAYER proves you both wrong concerning Ottman.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jack The Giant Slayer was one of last years best scores IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I found it both boring and grating.

The only Ottman I've truly liked is his first one -- THE USUAL SUSPECTS.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I found it both boring and grating.

Of course.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    face-palm-mt

Southall and Demetris have gone back to Weirdtardedland again.

JACK THE FUCKING GIANT SLAYER proves you both wrong concerning Ottman.

-Erik-

That's one of the few exceptions that was mentioned. It's not awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, we did mention few exception numerous times.
  4. Jack the GIant Slayer had some great cues and not so great cues for me. I am not a huge John Ottman fan myself, to be honest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Yeah, we did mention few exception numerous times.

And what are those few exceptions. He's had some misfires for sure but I'd say he's had a pretty solid track record post-2000.

-Erik-
  5. The gorgeous was the best thing about Superman Returns. The film wasn't that bad either. Only stubborn I-hate-all-prequels-and-sequels-that-deal-with-anything-I-liked-in-my-not-overcome-childhood-people can say otherwise.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I thought Superman Returns was actually quite good (the score, not the film) but generally I don't think that orchestral thing is a strength of Ottman at all. Much better when he's smaller-scale, "groovy" for want of a better word.
  6. Well, I am no Ottman expert at all but I have a nagging suspicion that people "want" his orchestral music to be mediocre at best because they regard him as an amateur composer. Maybe I'm wrong.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I think he writes some dynamite orchestral music. The issue I have with him at times is that his scores are pretty scatterbrained. A lack of cohesion. Supeman Returns is one of those all-over-the-bloody-place scores.

-Erik-
  7. Yeah. Even Jack the Giant Slayer had that issue. His music desperately needs some longer lines to it, but he does have great technique. I wonder sometimes if perhaps he isn't a better orchestrator than he is a composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I didn't care much for SUPERMAN RETURNS, but I loved Ottman's major-mode rendition of "Can You Read My Mind", by far the best thing about that score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah. Even Jack the Giant Slayer had that issue. His music desperately needs some longer lines to it, but he does have great technique. I wonder sometimes if perhaps he isn't a better orchestrator than he is a composer.

That's odd. The generic orchestration is one of the things that makes his music have little interest to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    I didn't care much for SUPERMAN RETURNS, but I loved Ottman's major-mode rendition of "Can You Read My Mind", by far the best thing about that score.

Now I think you are just doing this to bait people. Seriously.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah. Even Jack the Giant Slayer had that issue. His music desperately needs some longer lines to it, but he does have great technique. I wonder sometimes if perhaps he isn't a better orchestrator than he is a composer.

That's odd. The generic orchestration is one of the things that makes his music have little interest to me.

I don't think his orchestrations are generic. I think he comes up with some interesting ideas. I just don't think he knows how to clearly communicate those ideas sometimes or how to use them.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

Now I think you are just doing this to bait people. Seriously.

-Erik-

What? You don't agree? I didn't realize that was such a controversial proposition.
    I am extremely serious.