• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014
    If anything, I think even the original album would benefit from a slight trimming.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Nope, it's just fine as it is.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Meh. Give me more of the floating, ethereal stuff.

More ethereal stuff? Here you go!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009) - Nicholas Hooper

I must say I was alway a bit biased against Nicholas Hooper's contributions for the series, having read many infavourable comments. Now I found both Hooper scores bargain priced and I bought them to complete the series.
    I must say - what I hear so far is very nice.

Volker
  3. Hooper's scores aren't really bad, and he has the odd nice theme or idea...they just don't carry the weight that they need to in order to suffice as Harry Potter scores. Parts of Order of the Phoenix in particular sound better suited to a Jane Austen movie...and if that music had actually been in an Austen movie it would have been better received (but much less talked-about).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Any release of a score that fails to neglect a cue like "Quaritch Down" is resolutely not "more than enough."

I have no idea what is, but I presume it's the final battle between Jake and Quaritch. I also presume it's a straight-out action cue, which I have no need for (plus there's plenty of it on the original album already).

It's probably the best cue of the score. You're insane not to want that on the album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014 edited
    I listened to the clip that Timmer provided above of that cue. It's OK, but I really feel there's enough of that kind of music towards the end of the album. And it's not reallly THAT kind of music which makes this a personal favourite of mine in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. I just realize I said "fails to neglect" - derp.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    So I finally got around to trying Intrada's recent release of Horner's Cocoon.
    Holy Melba mother of peche but this is good!

It's issues like these that really, thunderously, hit home how poorly off we are generally with recent soundtracks.
    The careful craft and consideration that's gone into creating this music, these themes, the beautiful and clever jazz counterpoint, the lyrical -yet joyfully light- strength that doesn't lose itself in either quick-n-easy pathos or humdrum hyperbole. It's so rare to find anything even remotely like a vintage Horner soundtrack these days.

Even the silver masters themselves -the Horners, Silvestris, Elfmans- seem rushed these days.

Yes, it's a discussion done to death.
    Yes, I'm well aware of the "everything used to be better in the olden days" fallacy.
    But I do miss this tone. This quality.
    It's worth hearing this CD for a very good representation of a very good time in soundtracks.
    Even if it's for a light comedy.
    Starring, heaven help us, Steve Guttenberg.
    It's not like I miss him, but he was positively ubiquitous in the eighties. Whatever happened (and, you know, how can we make sure it stays that way? shame )?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah x 10

I think my fave Gute role was him in THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL where he got snuffed pretty quickly.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Steven wrote

My own edit from the original album and the unnecessarily-long-but-ultimately-useful 3 disc complete score. Nothing that has come out since this score has topped it. (For me, I should add.)

Just now there is a documantary about Tarzan on TV that is scored with Avatar.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I listened to the clip that Timmer provided above of that cue. It's OK, but I really feel there's enough of that kind of music towards the end of the album. And it's not reallly THAT kind of music which makes this a personal favourite of mine in the first place.

You're insane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

You're insane.

Probably.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cabo Blanco - J Goldsmith

The most obscure and gem-like of obscure gems, this one is as obscure as much as it is a gem. Blistering main theme (see recent post on Facebook by J Southall for evidence), dynamite action music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Cabo Blanco - J Goldsmith

The most obscure and gem-like of obscure gems, this one is as obscure as much as it is a gem. Blistering main theme (see recent post on Facebook by J Southall for evidence), dynamite action music.

Gods I haven't played that in years. I can't even remember what it's like? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ransom - J Goldsmith

My trawl through Goldsmith scores I haven't played for ages continues. This is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    Ransom - J Goldsmith

My trawl through Goldsmith scores I haven't played for ages continues. This is great.

Excellent score, I've always loved this one.

Probably an indication of what he might have done with a Bond film around this time? ( oh, hang on, this was the Roger Moore era )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yes, probably. I remember he once said that nobody other than John Barry should score a Bond film.

Now, of course The Chairman - J Goldsmith

More Goldsmith dynamite. Fantastic oriental-flavoured action score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014
    I haven't played ANY Goldsmith in ages. Too much other stuff to go through, like this:

NP: DOCTOR WHO - SEASON 7 (Murray Gold)

Some fantastic stuff, some rather meh. But when he's on in that lush, thematic mode, it's truly wonderful.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. You must hate that album, Thor. Even I think it's too long. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Breakout - J Goldsmith

Terrific south-of-the-border thriller score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You must hate that album, Thor. Even I think it's too long. tongue

Not really, because it's made up of individual episode scores, like a compilation of suites -- each different from the other.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. crazy moon rolleyes confused spin dizzy

I give up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he...it's never the length that matters (she said!), but how the whole thing is organized.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Oh Thor, behave! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dead Again - Patrick Doyle

This is great.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Who'd have thought that 36 years later this superhero score would never be bettered by any superhero score since.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : SUPERMAN - John Williams

Who'd have thought that 36 years later this superhero score would never be bettered by any superhero score since.

Not so strange, perhaps, since it's really the first time a superhero movie was made that would form the benchmark for all later ones -- both in terms of music and film.

I do have a couple of personal favourites that at least rival it, though -- especially Elfman and Goldenthal's BATMAN scores.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not even close ( IMO anyway )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014 edited
    On Ennio Morricone mode today, the 2nd most important living film composer after John Williams, perhaps.

COME UN DELFINO -TV Series - Ennio Morricone
    ULTIMO 4 lOCCHIO DEL FALCO

from 2013, gorgeous music

Also senso '45
    fateless - one of the best scores written post-2000
    legend of 1900 (legend of the pianist)
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.