• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. ... Hidden away within the rocks of these deserts are a people known as the Fremen, who have long held a prophecy that a man would come, a messiah who would lead them to true freedom. The planet is Arrakis, also known as - Dune.

NP: Dune (1984) - Toto

This is why.
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2014 edited
    Dune is borderline unfilmable, but I do have a soft spot for Lynch's film and the 2000 miniseries despite its incessant fetish for silly hats.

NP: The 13th Warrior - Jerry Goldsmith

I decided to extend the Goldsmith birthday celebrations for another day. Sue me. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014 edited
    NP: "No Good About Goodbye" - Shirley Bassey

http://youtu.be/qA1K5h1GvIs

Fantastic Bond song.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014
    The Education of Little Tree - Mark Isham

One of his very finest, from a film that about 11 people have ever seen.
    Lyrical, poignant; just gorgeous music.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2014 edited
    NP : THE HAMMER LEGACY : THE VAMPIRE COLLECTION - Various Artists

Thank you Spotify. Unable to access my own CD's this is most welcome. Lots of great James Bernard tracks represented here as well as Harry Robinson, David Whitaker and Laurie Johnson.

A shame some of the sources for these recordings leave something to be desired ( and it's the same on the compilation CD's under different titles that I have ), in particular I absolutely love Harry Robinson's erotically charged deliciously dark gothic score for LUST FOR A VAMPIRE but the sound here is poor.

In fact, Robinson's LUST FOR A VAMPIRE is one of my more obscure "grails" along with David Whitaker's equally erotic, deliciously dark gothic score DOCTOR JECKYL AND SISTER HYDE which was supposed to have been released by GDM a number of years ago...and still counting slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014
    Rugby World Cup Something or Other Christopher Gordon

Much like David Arnold (the one who worked on Stargate and Independence Day), I wish this composer worked on more films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorManwe
    NP: Troy - Gabriel Yared

How I wish that the film would have been as good as this score seems to indicate... I guess that this score perhaps is "larger" than the finished Troy film actually became - and Horner's score might be more in sync with the finished film, perhaps... But listening to this, I can imagine such a breathtaking film, something that does not really compute with my memory of the finished Troy film.

But, maybe - if Yared's score had been allowed to remain in the film, maybe the film had been more of the breathtaking experience I hear in the score. And, musically speaking, the depth and quality in Yared's music is in so many ways superior to what Horner produced - which of course is no surprise since a few weeks simply is not enough to reach the same qualities as when you have invested a whole year.

On a side note - this makes me wonder how Shore's King Kong score would have sounded. There too, I am sure, many hours of work was invested and I am sure that is audible in the finished product. Such a waste - at least until we all can hear it.
    - What matters is the music -
  2. RISE OF THE GUARDIANS - Alexandre Desplat

I'm finally getting around to this one. I dismissed it despite all the praise it was getting because the parts of it I had heard never grabbed me. This surprises me. I didn't know Desplat had it in him! I was wrong about this score.

And the track "Moon" makes me wonder what a Desplat Star Trek score would sound like.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Desplat you say?

NP : L'ENNEMI INTIME - Alexandre Desplat

Lovely!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat you say?

Lovely!

Absolutely, gorgeous! Tim, have you heard Afterwards ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat you say?

Lovely!

Maybe my favourite by Desplat.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat you say?

Lovely!

This is the 2nd time I've listened to L'Ennemi Intime, frankly I'm surprised I spent so long between listens, I absolutely love it.

As to AFTERWARDS, no I haven't heard it but if you're recommending it then I'll make a point of giving it a go.
  3. christopher wrote
    RISE OF THE GUARDIANS - Alexandre Desplat

I'm finally getting around to this one. I dismissed it despite all the praise it was getting because the parts of it I had heard never grabbed me. This surprises me. I didn't know Desplat had it in him! I was wrong about this score.

And the track "Moon" makes me wonder what a Desplat Star Trek score would sound like.

Great. great score!

Volker
  4. Manwe wrote

How I wish that the film would have been as good as this score seems to indicate... I guess that this score perhaps is "larger" than the finished Troy film actually became - and Horner's score might be more in sync with the finished film, perhaps... But listening to this, I can imagine such a breathtaking film, something that does not really compute with my memory of the finished Troy film.

I found the director's cut much stronger than the theatrical one. It had some of Yared's score but I think it was mainly because the story just made more sense.

I'd love to see a director's cut of "Poseidon".

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat you say?

Lovely!

This is the 2nd time I've listened to L'Ennemi Intime, frankly I'm surprised I spent so long between listens, I absolutely love it.

As to AFTERWARDS, no I haven't heard it but if you're recommending it then I'll make a point of giving it a go.

smile It's very similar, this is why i recommended it smile Not the stuff you usually hear from Desplat; it's way darker than usual.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Mmmmmmmm! I love Desplat dark lick

I will definitely give it a listen beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Desplat you say?

Lovely!

Maybe my favourite by Desplat.

Funny enough Thor, the wonderfully subtle jazz elements in this score remind me of works by Scandinavian jazz artists such as Terje Rypdal and Jan Garbarek. And that's no bad thing in my book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I think I know what you mean.

NP: THE PARADISE (Maurizio Malagnini)

What a nice, gentle, romantic score from last year -- totally unknown to me and probably overlooked by most.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : AFTERWARDS - Alexandre Desplat

About a 1/3 of the way through. I see what you mean D and I'm liking this a lot.
  5. Thor wrote

What a nice, gentle, romantic score from last year -- totally unknown to me and probably overlooked by most.

Not overlooked by me! It's in my top 20 from 2013. It's a very nice score. I particularly like "The Final Kiss."
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : JANE EYRE - John Williams

S'alright I suppose.
  6. You suppose correctly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous score, made it to my *yet to come :sigh:* best 2013 list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

S'alright I suppose.

Prefer Marianelli's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Manwe wrote

But, maybe - if Yared's score had been allowed to remain in the film, maybe the film had been more of the breathtaking experience I hear in the score.

yeah
    Absolutely!
    I found there's much of value in the film, but it was all *just* off the mark.
    Yared's score would have elevated the whole thing tremendously.
    Too bad the makers forgot the old Goldsmith adage: a marvelous score can save a bad film.

Oh, and HI Adam!! wave
    Long time no see!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Manwe wrote

But, maybe - if Yared's score had been allowed to remain in the film, maybe the film had been more of the breathtaking experience I hear in the score.

yeah
    Absolutely!
    I found there's much of value in the film, but it was all *just* off the mark.
    Yared's score would have elevated the whole thing tremendously.
    Too bad the makers forgot the old Goldsmith adage: a marvelous score can save a bad film.

Oh, and HI Adam!! wave
    Long time no see!

Wise words, you two. Of course the music measures in the final impact it leaves to the viewer in general. Horner's score was serviceable at best, light and generally non-engaging. With Yared's the good movie would have shined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

S'alright I suppose.

Prefer Marianelli's.

You take that back. You take that back, NOW!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote

Gorgeous score, made it to my *yet to come :sigh:* best 2013 list.

One of my favorite scores from last year. Love it! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

S'alright I suppose.

Prefer Marianelli's.

You take that back. You take that back, NOW!

-Erik-

biggrin

I like Marianelli's but Williams score is absolutely incredible! One of his very best, absolutely no contest whatsoever!

FACT!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2014
    christopher wrote
    RISE OF THE GUARDIANS - Alexandre Desplat

It's so good in the film too (which is lightweight but entertaining).