• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2014
    Timmer wrote

I like Marianelli's but Williams score is absolutely incredible! One of his very best, absolutely no contest whatsoever!

FACT!

Indeed. Not only one of JW's best, but IMO one of the best soundtracks of all time!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think a re-recording might change the Greek's mind. It badly needs one (even if there are some nice newly recorded suites/tracks out there).
  1. NP: Tarzan - David Newman

Enjoyable score for this 2014 animation. Updated story (I don't remember helicopters and comets in the original story) that's supposedly infused with Avatar-styled environmental messages. And this may explain the hints of Horner's score (to my ears at least.)

A digital release from Königskinder.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

I like Marianelli's but Williams score is absolutely incredible! One of his very best, absolutely no contest whatsoever!

FACT!

Indeed. Not only one of JW's best, but IMO one of the best soundtracks of all time!

I agree!

I also agree with Steven, I'd love this score to get a rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Martijn wrote
    Too bad the makers forgot the old Goldsmith adage: a marvelous score can save a bad film.

Or as Basil Poledouris once said:
    "The reason scores get changed so much is that the music is the last chance to 'save' the film. They can't go back and reshoot it, they can't recast it, they've re-edited it a hundred times. The only thing they can still do is change the music. They always think 'Maybe the music will save it,' but music can't save a bad film. Nothing can."
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. NP: The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) - Alfred Newman
    On Varese Sarabande.

This arrived today with the mail. Views vary on this score. Some love it, some find it mediocre. I am curious how this will fare in comparison to Rozsa's King of Kings.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) - Alfred Newman
    On Varese Sarabande.

This arrived today with the mail. Views vary on this score. Some love it, some find it mediocre. I am curious how this will fare in comparison to Rozsa's King of Kings.

Volker

I think it's absolutely wonderful.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) - Alfred Newman
    On Varese Sarabande.

Volker

I think it's absolutely wonderful.

I couldn't play it actually because I was called upon to assist with an electric installation. Now I had some beers celebrating the success of said installation. I'll return to the score tomorrow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Both scores are absolutely top notch.
    Whatever preference one has is purely a matter of personal taste.
    As far as professionalism, lyricism, strength and sensitivity go, both are truly magnificent.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Let us know what you thought of it. It's a bit unfair to compare it to Rozsa's KING OF KINGS, they're very different scores. I'd say Newman's was more "spiritual" and it's a far more subtle score.

Both, IMO are masterpieces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2014
    If I were to catch either score in one word, Greatest Story Ever Told would be 'reverence' and King Of Kings 'majesty'. Both scores -very differently- are spiritually powerful to me as fook.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    About the 3-CD Greatest Story... is the first CD (i.e. the original album) a re-recording (made at the time)? And then the other two discs present the score as recorded for the film?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    If I were to catch either score in one word, Greatest Story Ever Told would be 'reverence' and King Of Kings 'majesty'. Both scores -very differently- are spiritually powerful to me as fook.

That's better. Well said sir.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    About the 3-CD Greatest Story... is the first CD (i.e. the original album) a re-recording (made at the time)? And then the other two discs present the score as recorded for the film?

Yup!
  5. Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote

That's better. Well said sir.

That's it indeed! I could not express it any better than Martijn has. Newman's score is utterly beautyful. I wonder how it could fly under my radar for so long? I know "Man from Galilee" that is made of themes from The Robe and The Greatest Story Ever Told but I like both scores much better in their original form. There is a theme here that seems to remind me of the main theme from Ben Hur. That might be coincidence. It might also be a nod from Newman towards Rozsa.

A fantastic score and highly recommended for whoever likes religious themed music.

Volker

PS: I skipped the album version for now. I am referring to the OST.
    PPS: I just found out that all these "film music Newmans" are actually related to each other. I didn't know that. dizzy
  6. There's like seven of them that do scoring (counting the late Alfred).

Two names that I've noticed a number of composers have: Newman and Cohen.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Especially Newman Cohen, who ghostwrote for Mike Post for a couple of years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Greatest Story Ever Told - Alfred Newman

This is so good. The main theme is just sublime.
  7. NP: Miklos Rozsa: Film Music Vol. 1 Tribute series by Milan

When asked to do so, Rozsa arranged pieces from "Quo Vadis", "Ben Hur" and "King of Kings" for choir and church organ. These adaptations were intended to be used in Service. I think this recording is a bit of a hidden gem. These adaptations with organ instead of an orchestra provide a unique view on these famous pieces. The album also contains the original recording of The Power.
    The CD is offered for rediculous prices on the secondary marked but can be found reasonably priced as well.

http://www.soundtrackcollector.com/titl … usic+Vol.1

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2014
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Brilliant music, heartfelt and passionate and most worthy of the exceptional series.
  8. NP: The Gospel of John (2003) - Jeff Danna

Teriffic!

Volker
  9. NP: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1970) - Mikloz Rozsa
    Album version.

Vintage Rozsa!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1970) - Mikloz Rozsa
    Album version.

Vintage Rozsa!

Vintage Rozsa that DESPERATELY requires a rerecording: the available version is murky and sounds way too 'small'.
    Which is a massive shame: it's a fine oriental fantasy from Rozsa that I very much enjoy hearing (the film is great fun too).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah

Wasn't there something about not having the budget for a bigger orchestra?
  10. Yup. For a recording made 1970 it does sound weird.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2014
    1973 tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: THE MONUMENTS MEN – Alexandre Desplat

I'm LOVING this!!! cool
  11. NP: Fat Man and Little Boy - Ennio Morricone

I've never been able to like this very much even though it's a "typical" Morricone score. But, I am almost through the 100+ minutes of this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Romeo and Juliet - Abel K

It's pretty, but seems to go on forever.
  12. What, are even 50-minute albums too long now? wink