• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Billy: Ol' Pat... Sheriff Pat Garrett. Sold out to the Santa Fe ring. How does it feel?
    Garrett: It feels like... times have changed.
    Billy: Times, maybe. Not me.

NP: Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid (1973) - Bob Dylan

I love this film to pieces! Sam Peckinpah's failed masterwork. Few other films reflect my own outlook upon life the way this film does.
    Dylan's score is mentioned next to never on film music boards. Nevertheless it's marvelous.

Volker

PS: O, and "Young Guns" is pretty cool, too.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    I haven't yet found the stamina to listen to the soundtrack. I'm dreading it will be similar to the first one, which I deleted from my computer in pure annoyance! smile

[insert argument about 2CD extended presentation being perfectly valid here]

The Smaug album is worth it for the end credit suite.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013
    ...and the rest of it Jim?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ( though Horn of Plenty is another of those rare shining moments in JNH's ever decreasing ability to deliver great, memorable scores )

...but that's not by JNH!

Ah, Greenaway's contribution I presume?

Actually, it's JNH's arrangement of a melody by Arcade Fire.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I learn something new every day cheesy

Do you know the name of the Arcade Fire track it's based on?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I believe Arcade Fire wrote the hymn for the film and Howard adapted the tune for his score. The same thing that happened in the "Hobbit" score where Shore adapted a melody by Plan9.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Memoirs of a Geisha - John Williams

Very lovely indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    I haven't yet found the stamina to listen to the soundtrack. I'm dreading it will be similar to the first one, which I deleted from my computer in pure annoyance! smile

I hope someone posts a suggested playlist for the second score at some point for those of us with a little less time on our hands. I think it was Erik who provided me/us with the one for the first score (I still didn't think it was very good - but it's hardly fair to blame Erik for that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Timmer wrote

It's all good. Full of marvellous woodwind writing - Mirkwood is tremendously creepy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    Demetris wrote
    LSH wrote
    NP: PARKLAND - JAMES NEWTON HOWARD

Just found this on Spotify - I had no idea about this project. First listen...

And last? wink

Good God, yes. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Time for something worthwhile....

NP: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK - JOHN WILLIAMS

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Time for something worthwhile....

NP: THE LOST WORLD: JURASSIC PARK - JOHN WILLIAMS

cool

By the gods YES! A much more exciting and more entertaining ( for me ) score than Jurassic Park.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's all good. Full of marvellous woodwind writing - Mirkwood is tremendously creepy.

I love 'creepy'. I decided not to listen to any samples and have pre-ordered the deluxe version from Amazon.
  4. Timmer wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Timmer wrote

I love 'creepy'. I decided not to listen to any samples and have pre-ordered the deluxe version from Amazon.

Good man. cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW - Oscar Araujo

Wonderful stuff! Great orchestral/choral writing with some of it being gorgeously subtle. An obvious influence is Howard Shore's LOTR scores but that's no bad thing in my book.
  5. NP: Aliens - James Horner

I love every aspect of this score: the atmospheric cues, the action scoring and the "classical" references.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. Timmer wrote
    NP : CASTLEVANIA: LORDS OF SHADOW - Oscar Araujo

Wonderful stuff! Great orchestral/choral writing with some of it being gorgeously subtle. An obvious influence is Howard Shore's LOTR scores but that's no bad thing in my book.

punk punk punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Coming up in my random-within-parameters foobar playlist is "Sparkles at Last" by Carter Burwell from the Breaking Dawn Part II score. Usually I delete tracks from those scores when they come up, but I will leave this one, because it has the best title in the history of both titles, and things that are the best.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Aliens - James Horner

I love every aspect of this score: the atmospheric cues, the action scoring and the "classical" references.

I must have mentioned it some time ago, but am I the only one thinking that the Gayane quote in Horner's score is a quite direct reference to 2001?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Aliens - James Horner

I must have mentioned it some time ago, but am I the only one thinking that the Gayane quote in Horner's score is a quite direct reference to 2001?

I know what you mean, I was wondering if 'A Fighting Chance To Live' from Horner's Star Trek III was a quite direct reference to Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013 edited
    NP: The Witchfinder General - Paul Ferris

A release that was VERY long in the making, having been announced and then canceled or postponed numerous times.
    But here it is, Paul Ferris' outstanding score for what arguably is Vincent Price's best film.
    The score, from 1968, is monaural, which is no surprise, but DeWolfe Music has cleaned it up beautifully.

The only little niggle I would have is that the compression seems a bit over the top: the trebble seems very condensed, but this may well simply be my headphones playing tricks on me. The sound is overall very clear.

The score is excellent. For a horror film (well, it's not really a horror film in the classical sense as there are no supernatural goings-on. But the mood is very dark and grim and very reminiscent in style and tone of the best of Hammer House.) the music is overall surprisingly melodic. Even the obligatory tension and terror cues are generally not in the dissonant vein that dominates sixties and seventies horror scoring.

In fact the overall feel -with some exceptions- is rather Romantic, if anything!
    Mainly though that's to do with the absolutely gorgeous main and secondary themes.
    I remember especially the secondary theme being repeated throughout the film a zillion times, but its re-appearance on the CD only becomes really noticeable in the second half. Which isn't a bad thing: it's so lovely I wouldn't want it to outstay its welcome.

Clearly DeWolfe has tried to scrounge as much from the original sound track as possible, as there are quite a few very brief ((well)under a minute in length) cues I could have done without. However, within the "musical narrative" (for lack of a better word) of the CD they don't annoy. In fact overall the whole thing is an amazingly well-balanced listen.

And those themes...they really are phenomenal.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  8. NP: Conan The Barbarian - Basil Poledouris

Intrada's presentation of the complete original soundtrack. Excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, it's OK.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  9. I've heard worse, I suppose.
  10. Martijn wrote
    Yeah, it's OK.

wink

Everything else not now matching The Witchfinder General now that you have it in hand?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    That Williams scifi thingy.
    What's it called again?
  11. Star Trek
  12. No, surely he means Mork & Mindy?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013 edited
    Stavroula wrote
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Space Shuttle Columbia: Mission Of Hope - Blake Neely

This may -quite unexpectedly- well be my favourite score of 2013.

It has become one of my favourites too! wink kiss

Imagine that!
    wink

NP: La Ragazza Con La Valigia - Mario Nascimbene

No idea what the film is about, and the (non-existent) track titles are no help ("seq. 2"; "seq 16"...), although the cover certainly has its merits ...but it's a score for mostly classical guitar...and harpsichord.

I've died and gone to heaven.