• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2014
    Timeline - Jerry Goldsmith

My own recent listening has been all about him and I have loved rediscovering a lot of music I hadn't listened to in a while, such as this one. I miss Jerry Goldsmith.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2014
    Many of us do.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I've been listening to The Mummy a lot recently. I always knew it was good but I'd forgotten just how good it was. I do wonder though, considering all the terrible films Goldsmith had the misfortune to score, why is this the one where he drew the line? I find it honestly quite enjoyable, if hardly high art (and the CGI doesn't hold up in the least).
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited
    Balto - James Horner

Possibly his best animated score, though there are a few contenders. Definitely a personal favourite though, just nosing out The Land Before Time and American Tail 2. The main theme is, typically, spectacular - as is the action music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    I wonder if that's how it went. Newman has worked with these filmmakers before and not done it. I am told that it was Patrick Doyle's decision and nobody else's to go the way he did on Thor and then Jack Ryan, a way of showing Hollywood that he could do that stuff if that's what they really want (and evidently it is), to ensure he can still get high-profile work outside of his reliable collaborator Branagh. Maybe Newman - whose assignments have rather been drying up in recent years, though of course that may be his own choice - decided to do the same thing.

I think the person to blame for all this is fairly clear and it isn't Patrick Doyle or David Newman or Kenneth Branagh or whoever directed Tarzan. Whether it was his intention or not, everything is now about him.

Wise words. Although i find that Tarzan is highly superior to Thor or the awful Jack Ryan.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2014
    NP : ALICE IN WONDERLAND - Danny Elfman

Excellent!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. It is.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: Isabel (Federico Jusid)

Which I discovered while going through Erik's 'Best of 2012' collection. I think Erik got the best of it into his suite, but it is a good listen even in the longer form. smile Shades of the romantic side of El Cid and Alatriste, other Spanish epics.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2014
    JCVD - Gast Waltzing

Sensational jazzy score with memorably muscular brass writing. Certainly tips the cap to Fielding and Shire's Pelham but is thoroughly entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Tarzan David Newman

Not particularly original, and the Four Chords are everywhere (though not necessarily a bad thing since its themes aren't based entirely around them), but this a joy to hear. Even if there is a bit of Zimmeritis going on, it's nice to hear a new David Newman score and which isn't just comedy fluff.
  4. NP: The Hound of the Baskervilles (1983) - Michael J. Lewis
    Promotional release.

I was made aware of this score some days ago. I must say I never took any notice of Lewis before. This will change now since this is a beautiful TV score. I've known the film for decades bat havent seen it in along while. I'll have to dig up the DVD and pay special attention to the score in context.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Police Academy - Robert Folk

The new Intrada release. It has a good theme. A VERY good theme! ...but it's pretty much the basis for each and every track, and thusly wears out its welcome much quicker than it deserves.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    Police Academy - Robert Folk

The new Intrada release. It has a good theme. A VERY good theme! ...but it's pretty much the basis for each and every track, and thusly wears out its welcome much quicker than it deserves.

La La Land Records.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quite right, quite right.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Pompeii - Clinton Shorter

I, like, this(?) not?. There a bunch of temp-track influences throughout which gives me a sense of dejavu, which troubles me so because I can't identify the original sources for these temps, but I'm sure a most of them are related to Hans Zimmer/RC group somehow. In short, nothing new.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ This was expected!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2014
    lp wrote

I, like, this(?) not?. There a bunch of temp-track influences throughout which gives me a sense of dejavu, which troubles me so because I can't identify the original sources for these temps, but I'm sure a most of them are related to Hans Zimmer/RC group somehow. In short, nothing new.

I hear around that this is actually good smile
  6. This morning has been rather good. Just gone through the Dollars Trilogy:

A Fistful of Dollars - Ennio Morricone
    For A Few Dollars More - Ennio Morricone
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - Ennio Morricone

Great to listen to them back-to-back

And then iTunes shuffle threw up another gem:

NP: Titus - Elliot Goldenthal

Yes, the composer throws up an eclectic mix of styles, but there's just so much emotion and drama that this score is definitely propelled up into my Top 5 Goldenthal scores. It could even be top of the pile.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Yes, the composer throws up an eclectic mix of styles, but there's just so much emotion and drama that this score is definitely propelled up into my Top 5 Goldenthal scores. It could even be top of the pile.

I would agree with that assessment.

Incidentally, how wonderful you have the time to be able to spend that much into listening to those scores back to back! I'd love to do that, but the nature of my work won't allow it. sad
  7. I would prefer to be in the situation where I DIDN'T have the opportunity to listen to them all! But, today, what I am doing means that I can have music in the background: data inputting rather than writing!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I would agree with that assessment.

Incidentally, how wonderful you have the time to be able to spend that much into listening to those scores back to back! I'd love to do that, but the nature of my work won't allow it. sad

Incredibly good score, but doesn't top final fantasy for me smile It's 2nd though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote

To be honest, it's not bad. You can't really hate a score that has some really nice sounding choral bit. But the fact that each cues remind me of some other score, is really annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's a bit like david hirschfelder then? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Demetris wrote
    It's a bit like david hirschfelder then? wink

LOL. I didn't care for Australia very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The opening reminded me of E.S.Posthumus
  8. Mozart reminds me of Haydn. Must have been the temp track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    lp wrote

It's not!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Captain Future wrote
    Mozart reminds me of Haydn. Must have been the temp track.

Not sure if trolling or serious wink
  9. Demetris wrote
    Captain Future wrote

Not sure if trolling or serious wink

Mild irony. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote

All Classical period compositions sound the same after Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. That WAM sound needs to die.