• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014
    That's part of the charm of Doctor Who. I also like the fact that the biggest and scariest monsters, the arch nemesis of the Doctor, i.e. the Daleks, basically look like someone took a garbage can, attached a sink plunger to its side and put wheels on it.

Peter smile
  1. NP: I Mongoli - Mario Nascimbene

This 2-CD version is way too long to listen to in one sitting (~120 minutes). Listening to a selection of tracks that are reminiscent of his One Million Years B.C. score (in terms of orchestration). Sound is excellent considering how old the film is (and where the film was probably recorded) - I wish One Million Years B.C. sounded so good!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOST: THE FINAL SEASON - Michael Giacchino

The show was an overrated waste of time but the scores are good.

Overrated waste? More like best tv show for me, and Giacchino's highest moment.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: I Mongoli - Mario Nascimbene

This 2-CD version is way too long to listen to in one sitting (~120 minutes). Listening to a selection of tracks that are reminiscent of his One Million Years B.C. score (in terms of orchestration). Sound is excellent considering how old the film is (and where the film was probably recorded) - I wish One Million Years B.C. sounded so good!

Want!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : LOST: THE FINAL SEASON - Michael Giacchino

The show was an overrated waste of time but the scores are good.

Overrated waste? More like best tv show for me, and Giacchino's highest moment.

I loved the show, but it did test my patience. The writing really let down a great premise. But it did have a great premise. But it had shit writing. But a great premise. (But shit writing.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited
    I haven't seen such a show that made me felt that awe and excitement before or since Lost, every new show i try to initiate is a disappointment (including production values, and music, and mystery - wow factor at the end of every friggin single episode)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Nothing has replaced Lost but it's not to say there haven't been great shows - Breaking Bad for instance, and I'm just starting The Walking Dead.

That said, I do miss Giacchino not working in TV and agree Lost still is his finest score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    I haven't seen such a show that made me felt that awe and excitement before or since Lost, every new show i try to initiate is a disappointment (including production values, and music, and mystery - wow factor at the end of every friggin single episode)

Pity, there's some great shows out there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Pity, there's some great shows out there.

...and all far better than LOST.

I'm sorry D, I just got thoroughly pissed off with it at some point, I didn't like the writing and I couldn't care about the characters, to me it was over-convoluted rubbish.

To those of you who loved it? :shrug: confused
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2014 edited
    Demetris wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: I Mongoli - Mario Nascimbene

Want!

I've never heard this and really want to.

...and have just seen it's available on Spotify along with a good selection of Nascimbene's work.

I like the sound of ONE MILLION YEARS B.C., it adds to a primitive "guttural", "primeval feel.

His wonderful score to THE VIKINGS on the other hand could really do with a rerecording.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Nothing has replaced Lost but it's not to say there haven't been great shows - Breaking Bad for instance, and I'm just starting The Walking Dead.

That said, I do miss Giacchino not working in TV and agree Lost still is his finest score.

Nothing comes close to me. I tried watching Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, the zombies' thing, nothing has the excitement and agony of each Lost episode; and their music doesn't even come close.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Are you giving other shows a chance? I found immediately after Lost and 24 finished (within weeks of each other) I struggled to find things to fill the gap. I frequently watched one or two episodes of a show and tossed it aside, when really I wasn't committed to Lost or 24 that quickly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am trying. 24 is definitely not my thing. I found FRINGE a cheap intolerable copy of Lost too.
  2. NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    on Chandos

Great pastoral music!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    on Chandos

Great pastoral music!

Volker

One of the great film scores. I would say it's grandiose, bleak and foreboding. Not pastoral.
  3. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic - Ralph Vaughan Williams
    on Chandos

Great pastoral music!

Volker

One of the great film scores. I would say it's grandiose, bleak and foreboding. Not pastoral.

I agree, yet some parts (The Depature) seem pastoral in nature. High pathos and all.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Lost was great in its heyday, but it quickly became apparent that they would write themselves into a corner, and lo and behold thst was exactly what happened. The ending was one of the worst of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lost was utterly execrable - great concept but terrible, terrible writing. And yet I watched every single episode. I have never been able to explain that conundrum.
  4. As Linda Aronson would say, you can make codswallop irresistable through structure. And this, is the pot of gold.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Winter's Tale - Zimmer and Gregson-Williams

For those who almost bought a pair of beige trousers but decided they were a little too racy. Bland, as they say, is grand.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is that the one starring Colin "oim Oirish" Farrell that had stinky reviews?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony wrote

Nothing comes close to me. I tried watching Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones... nothing has the excitement and agony of each Lost episode; and their music doesn't even come close.

How many episodes of each one did you watch? If you managed to watch the first seasons of both and remained unimpressed, you truly are lost! dizzy
  5. Timmer wrote
    Is that the one starring Colin "oim Oirish" Farrell that had stinky reviews?

Neil Gaiman seemingly loved it.

I'd give it a star more, but Southall's review is quite appropriate. It's nice music, but it doesn't go anywhere. Just an exercise in pure blandness, even if sometimes very pretty.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2014
    NP: Papillon - Goldsmith

Classic! Far from bland! cool
  6. I just finished my first listen of Shigeru Umebayashi's THE GRANDMASTER. I apparently decided my top 10 of 2013 a little too soon. This is very nice. I can see myself liking it more and more with repeated listens, too.

NP: EL TIEMPO ENTRE COSTURAS - Cesar Benito

Another very good score from last year.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris wrote
    I am trying. 24 is definitely not my thing. I found FRINGE a cheap intolerable copy of Lost too.

Like James said, 24 is another show with terrible writing and yet I found myself watching every single episode. I don't view Fringe particularly negatively but I've just never had the interest to watch it all. I think I got up to the beginning of season 4.

There is a new series of 24 coming out in May. I hope it's good but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Anthony wrote

Nothing comes close to me. I tried watching Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones... nothing has the excitement and agony of each Lost episode; and their music doesn't even come close.

How many episodes of each one did you watch? If you managed to watch the first seasons of both and remained unimpressed, you truly are lost! dizzy

2-3 each
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Winter's Tale - Zimmer and Gregson-Williams

For those who almost bought a pair of beige trousers but decided they were a little too racy. Bland, as they say, is grand.

Read your review biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Demetris wrote

Like James said, 24 is another show with terrible writing and yet I found myself watching every single episode. I don't view Fringe particularly negatively but I've just never had the interest to watch it all. I think I got up to the beginning of season 4.

There is a new series of 24 coming out in May. I hope it's good but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I thought 24 started very strongly (the concept was quite original at the time, quite refreshing) though it became too predictable later on. I still watched every episode, and in fact I have just started watching it for the second time, since Sky made it all available on demand.