• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    If he was to score movies and if this ever happen he will be another rc clone. E.S.posthumus had structure very tight form excellent vocal arrangements and themes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Thomas Bergersen has structure, very tight form, excellent vocal arrangements and themes as well. Sometimes even all in the same track, believe it or not. What exactly are you trying to say?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014 edited
    What's all this obsession with Thomas Bergersen? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy my fellow Norwegian gets a lot of exposure, but I'm just flabbergasted by the popularity of him/Two Steps from Hell and all that around these parts. Their music doesn't do anything for me.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Something about his music just clicks with me. I find his long-lined melodies (even when in full-on power anthem mode) to be extremely affecting. I think he's a masterful genre-bender, and not afraid to combine styles in unusual ways. I think he's one of the best at combining orchestral, vocal and electronic elements without allowing any of them to overwhelm the others. I love how he sometimes tips his hat to his own favorite composers and scores. I love the complete lack of restraint and subtlety in his music, the willingness to just cut loose and go all out. I love how every single piece of his is a self-contained entity and worth listening to on its own merits (unlike in film scores where a lot of cues are just filling space). I love him for the bombast, Thor, which is probably automatically where our opinions on him split. There is - at least for me - a certain joie de vivre in his writing that I rarely feel so strongly or frequently from other composers. I'm afraid I can't really qualify or "prove" why I think he's so great, other than to say that he has an uncanny ability to push every single one of my buttons. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2014
    Well, thanks for the reasoning. It's always fascinating how the same piece of music can affect people so differently.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Yes, well I find Cliff Martinez to be a dreadful bore, so there! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Something about his music just clicks with me. I find his long-lined melodies (even when in full-on power anthem mode) to be extremely affecting. I think he's a masterful genre-bender, and not afraid to combine styles in unusual ways. I think he's one of the best at combining orchestral, vocal and electronic elements without allowing any of them to overwhelm the others. I love how he sometimes tips his hat to his own favorite composers and scores. I love the complete lack of restraint and subtlety in his music, the willingness to just cut loose and go all out. I love how every single piece of his is a self-contained entity and worth listening to on its own merits (unlike in film scores where a lot of cues are just filling space). I love him for the bombast, Thor, which is probably automatically where our opinions on him split. There is - at least for me - a certain joie de vivre in his writing that I rarely feel so strongly or frequently from other composers. I'm afraid I can't really qualify or "prove" why I think he's so great, other than to say that he has an uncanny ability to push every single one of my buttons. smile

Very well put.
  4. NP: The Playbook - Stephen J. Anderson

Thoroughly enjoyable score from an Australian sports drama that I think has a "message". Quite low-key but there are some nice action tracks mixed in with the emotion-dripped piano passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. The Missing - James Horner

I forgot how amazing "The Long Ride Home" is. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Bergersen has structure, very tight form, excellent vocal arrangements and themes as well. Sometimes even all in the same track, believe it or not. What exactly are you trying to say?

No way near E.S.Posthumus. He's an ok trailer music composer. So far he hasn't showecased more. I am not trying to say anything more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yes, well I find Cliff Martinez to be a dreadful bore, so there! wink

I love Cliff's work. You don't see us getting mad about your opinion on him, do you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I love Cliff's work. You don't see us getting mad about your opinion on him, do you?

But if you do, I'll fight Edmund's corner!

<line in the sand>
    <gaps widening>
    <division apparent>
    <pointing cannons at Fort Sumter>
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Patrick Doyle Jack Ryan

This is offensively dull.
  6. Steven wrote
    Patrick Doyle Jack Ryan

This is offensively dull.

It opens up a bit towards the end, but yeah, there's only really one cue worth revisiting from that score, "Ryan, Mr. President".
  7. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

I'm not mad, I'm just presenting my case. smile
  8. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Bergersen has structure, very tight form, excellent vocal arrangements and themes as well. Sometimes even all in the same track, believe it or not. What exactly are you trying to say?

No way near E.S.Posthumus. He's an ok trailer music composer. So far he hasn't showecased more. I am not trying to say anything more.

But you're wrong! Bergersen has written much more than just "trailer music" (the whole Carmina Burana on steroids rag). He's done John Williams-style action, romantic comedy style pieces (that are usually better than any romantic comedy score I've ever heard), Bourne-type stuff, swashbuckling orchestral action, acoustic guitar pieces, New Age pieces...how do you even describe this one? It's like if Bollywood were to make a Bourne movie.

Say what you want about him but don't pigeonhole him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd be surprised if D sticks to his guns after hearing those tracks. Bergersen, although perhaps not to everyone's cup of tea given that his albums are mostly 'compilations', is clearly a very talented composer.
  9. Thank you! I was starting to feel like I'm ranting at a wall. beer
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    The Missing - James Horner

I forgot how amazing "The Long Ride Home" is. cool

Yes! And as soon as I read your post that music came into my mind. That score was overlooked by a lot of folks when it came out, but I think it's wonderful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014 edited
    NP: WHITE SQUALL (Jeff Rona)

What a beautiful score this is! Seriously underrated. It's a shame Rona's career never took off, not even after having Ridley Scott as your employer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Quinkydink!
    I listened to White Squall just the other day after a hiatus of many years.
    But interestingly I remember it to be far better!
    I found it rather bland on my latest listen.

I'll leave it lie for a while and try again. It's interesting to try and figure out if it was just my state of mind at the moment or whether my tastes have changed/evolved.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2014 edited
    I'm not sure I would have liked it back in the 90s. But my taste has actually changed to EMBRACE this particular sound now -- the ethnic, melodic soundscapes with lovely synth textures. Slow, calm and soothing for the win!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'd be surprised if D sticks to his guns after hearing those tracks. Bergersen, although perhaps not to everyone's cup of tea given that his albums are mostly 'compilations', is clearly a very talented composer.

Talented for sure but it's all somehow lacking for me, I don't find it a satisfying listen at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. I like listening to the odd Two Steps From Hell track now and again, but an entire album is too much for me.
  11. That's a shame. Why do you think that is, Timmer? Personally I find it hard to imagine what one would or could fault. I guess this is just a case of it either resonates with you or it doesn't, in which case there's nothing more I can do. *shrug*
  12. Steven wrote
    Yeah, I can understand where you're coming from. I like listening to the odd Two Steps From Hell track now and again, but an entire album is too much for me.

This on the other hand I agree with. I don't think I've ever listened to their albums from beginning to end but when shuffle throws up one of their (or I should say Bergersen's) cues, I almost always find myself enjoying it immensely. But that's because their cues are so self-contained - which is one of the things I like!

Illusions is probably the only Two Steps album that I feel works well as an extended listen.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JP : POMPEII - Clinton Shorter

There's some nice bits in this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Indeed smile I liked: 'My people were horsemen', 'I won't leave you', the excellent The opening cue (main title, "Pompeii") is a very good piece, including the choral rendition in the end "Praying for Help". I wish we heard this main theme more often in the score.
  13. Playing Pompeii as well. It's fun, sort of... 'Celtic Rebellion' is a highlight for me.
    It's gonna be a short review though, methinks.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  14. Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Indeed smile I liked: 'My people were horsemen', 'I won't leave you', the excellent The opening cue (main title, "Pompeii") is a very good piece, including the choral rendition in the end "Praying for Help". I wish we heard this main theme more often in the score.

So both of you like this but not Two Steps? confused