• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    I'm honestly surprised how a fan of film music would have anything but praise for Newman's score to Finding Nemo! (As an album it doesn't quite stand up so well, but as a film score it's nothing short of, well, perfect.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    I'm honestly surprised how a fan of film music would have anything but praise for Newman's score to Finding Nemo! (As an album it doesn't quite stand up so well, but as a film score it's nothing short of, well, perfect.)

It works... I'll give you that... but I'm waaaaaay more impressed with what he did with Wall-E, which along with Ratatouille are my favourite Pixar scores.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You might still feel the same way now of course, but it might be worth giving it another listen. It's a bit different from his other Pixar scores, with several long-lined themes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    You might still feel the same way now of course, but it might be worth giving it another listen. It's a bit different from his other Pixar scores, with several long-lined themes.

I pretty sure it was the themes that really bothered me. I'll give it another spin, I promise.

EDIT - Ooooooh.... shit yeah. The theme that pops up at 1:25 of the suite. Yeah... no... I can't do it. I can't. Don't make me, man! Lay off...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Southall wrote

yeah

It's less obviously animated-y than his others; at times it plays like a full-blooded Western or adventure score.

With The Incredibles, I have the bad fortune of having heard and enjoyed it for a long time before even being aware of OHMSS, and I'm ashamed to say that I've gotten so used to Giacchino's version of it that Barry's always sounds slightly "wrong" to me. I realize how messed up that is but thanks to residual memory I can't get over it. I have a similar problem with 300 and Titus. shame
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    EDIT - Ooooooh.... shit yeah. The theme that pops up at 1:25 of the suite. Yeah... no... I can't do it. I can't. Don't make me, man! Lay off...

While I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to be so awful about that theme, it's far from my favorite from that score. Listen to "Building the Bird" - that's probably my favorite R. Newman cue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

While I'm not entirely sure what's supposed to be so awful about that theme, it's far from my favorite from that score. Listen to "Building the Bird" - that's probably my favorite R. Newman cue.

It's the "The Time of Your Life" theme. All I hear is Newman's irritating voice singing " Wuz A Buuug... blah, blah, blah..." suicide

-Erik-
  3. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I pretty sure it was the themes that really bothered me. I'll give it another spin, I promise.

-Erik-

That's the tune from the song. Doesn't really come up much within the score. More representative is the main theme, which starts at 4:18 in that track. But don't worry, I won't make you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

I do understand where you're coming from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    NP: Jakten På Nyresteinen (Body Troopers) - Ragnar Bjerkreim

A fantastic little score for a 1996 Norwegian family film that's a bit like Fantastic Voyage: a little boy shrinks and goes into the body of his grandfather in order to destroy a kidney stone!

I was going to ask Thor for a translation of the track titles because I was just getting back various body parts in the translation but now it all makes sense!

I encourage people to take a listen to the clips:

http://www.7digital.com/artist/ragnar-b … y-troopers
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Steven wrote

Nemo and WALL-E are some of his best works. Nemo especially convinced me that there was more to Newman than small family dramas (as much as I love those).
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    beer

I'm with Edmund and Thor here.

V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd don't think there's such a thing as a bad Doyle score.

I used to think this way then he yacked out Thor and Jack Ryan. Those two scores, in my books, are bad.

-Erik-

Btw i watched THOR:2 the other day; very enjoyable movie and fun (although forgettable) Score. Works very good in the movie.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

It's the "The Time of Your Life" theme. All I hear is Newman's irritating voice singing " Wuz A Buuug... blah, blah, blah..." suicide

-Erik-

Randy Newman: not many people's cup of choice wink

The Steven-linked family guy clip above is hilarious; everyone's onto him it seems hehe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Jakten På Nyresteinen (Body Troopers) - Ragnar Bjerkreim

A fantastic little score for a 1996 Norwegian family film that's a bit like Fantastic Voyage: a little boy shrinks and goes into the body of his grandfather in order to destroy a kidney stone!

I was going to ask Thor for a translation of the track titles because I was just getting back various body parts in the translation but now it all makes sense!

I encourage people to take a listen to the clips:

http://www.7digital.com/artist/ragnar-b … y-troopers

That's a good one. Bjerkreim is one of the most powerful composers in Norway (being the leader of the composer organization NOPA), but also a great film composer in his own right. He wrote his master thesis on Goldsmith, and I think I can hear some of JG's influence in the action music of this film. I always thought it was called CHASING THE KIDNEYSTONE in English, though, not BODY TROOPERS. So I learnt something new today too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PYJAMAS (James Horner)

One of my favourite and most personal Horner scores. I'm glad I got the opportunity to talk a bit about it in my interview with him last year. Feels even more personal now. "An Odd Discovery Beyond the Trees" goes to my heart and soul every single time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    ^ Is he dealing exclusively with Avatar sequels right now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't know. He wasn't specific about future film projects at the time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Demetris wrote
    ^ Is he dealing exclusively with Avatar sequels right now?

It appears that way, but isn't his choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Hmm what do you mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    He wants to work. People aren't hiring him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Cosmos - Alan Silvestri

Really enjoying this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    CHAD SEITER - Star trek: the game, 2013

Fucking awesome too!
  6. Southall wrote

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I was under the impression that he had simply gotten more picky about his projects. Yes, he had bad luck last year with rejections, but I don't think that means he's not wanted anymore. After all, Marc Webb apparently had to really strongarm him into getting to score The Amazing Spider-Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I was under the impression that he had simply gotten more picky about his projects. Yes, he had bad luck last year with rejections, but I don't think that means he's not wanted anymore. After all, Marc Webb apparently had to really strongarm him into getting to score The Amazing Spider-Man.

Why don't you believe it? He couldn't be more different from the Zimmer sound everyone is asking nowadays. And this is why he got rejected for Amazing Spiderman II, despite writing a gorgeous (imo) score for the first film.

Listen to the composers from his time and magnitude that still get works:

JNH: a tired, Zimmer copying composer.
    Doyle: an uninspired, weary, Zimmer copying composer. Somewhat sounding like Brian Tyler but without his zeal, excitement and vast energy.
    T.Newman: an unmistakable musical identity that still finds its way into certain type of films that can't be fitted with Zimmer-like music thankfully.
    Silvestri: an uninspired and tired Zimmer copying composer, with thankfully few exceptions.
    Giacchino: has his style, hired to do fantasy and sci-fi grand films that would previously require John Williams.

Horner has a very distinct 90's Hollywood style that sadly directors and studio execs think of as too 'old-fashioned' nowdays.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

yeah

It's less obviously animated-y than his others; at times it plays like a full-blooded Western or adventure score.

With The Incredibles, I have the bad fortune of having heard and enjoyed it for a long time before even being aware of OHMSS, and I'm ashamed to say that I've gotten so used to Giacchino's version of it that Barry's always sounds slightly "wrong" to me. I realize how messed up that is but thanks to residual memory I can't get over it. shame

wow! dizzy shocked dizzy

My favourite Barry homage in the film is this very You Only Live Twice/Space March like piece...

KRONOS UNVEILED
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Demetris wrote
    Why don't you believe it? He couldn't be more different from the Zimmer sound everyone is asking nowadays. And this is why he got rejected for Amazing Spiderman II, despite writing a gorgeous (imo) score for the first film.

I heard he declined to score the sequel - he wasn't rejected.

Demetris wrote
    JNH: a tired, Zimmer copying composer.
    Doyle: an uninspired, weary, Zimmer copying composer. Somewhat sounding like Brian Tyler but without his zeal, excitement and vast energy.
    T.Newman: an unmistakable musical identity that still finds its way into certain type of films that can't be fitted with Zimmer-like music thankfully.
    Silvestri: an uninspired and tired Zimmer copying composer, with thankfully few exceptions.
    Giacchino: has his style, hired to do fantasy and sci-fi grand films that would previously require John Williams.

Disagree with Silvestri. He may not be producing music as memorable as he used to, but he doesn't ever sound like anything other than himself to me - I haven't heard him copying Zimmer. Even when he uses electronics, it sounds like Silvestri with electronics - he's not very good at it, but it's still identifiably HIS style and nobody else's.

I'd take Thor and Rise of the Planet of the Apes over 80% of Brian Tyler scores.

And you're forgetting Elfman, who is still doing his own thing and getting plenty of work. I haven't been too impressed with his recent work but like Silvestri, it just sounds like less memorable Elfman and not like Zimmer or anything.

Demetris wrote
    Horner has a very distinct 90's Hollywood style that sadly directors and studio execs think of as too 'old-fashioned' nowdays.

Nonetheless I find it hard to believe that nobody is asking for him. Surely the respect people have for him in the industry must still be high enough to warrant that. He's not like a Joel McNeely who we know is talented but who never really got a break in the mainstream - people know who Horner is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Horner writes music that tends to be very upfront in the film and is never afraid of overt emotional manipulation. I think it's as simple as that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Remember that while a lot of people like us enjoyed his Spiderman score, a lot of reviews of the film were highly critical of it - old-fashioned, too noticeable, too bright, whatever.