• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    He wants to work. People aren't hiring him.

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I was under the impression that he had simply gotten more picky about his projects. Yes, he had bad luck last year with rejections, but I don't think that means he's not wanted anymore. After all, Marc Webb apparently had to really strongarm him into getting to score The Amazing Spider-Man.

Why don't you believe it? He couldn't be more different from the Zimmer sound everyone is asking nowadays. And this is why he got rejected for Amazing Spiderman II, despite writing a gorgeous (imo) score for the first film.

Listen to the composers from his time and magnitude that still get works:

JNH: a tired, Zimmer copying composer.
    Doyle: an uninspired, weary, Zimmer copying composer. Somewhat sounding like Brian Tyler but without his zeal, excitement and vast energy.
    T.Newman: an unmistakable musical identity that still finds its way into certain type of films that can't be fitted with Zimmer-like music thankfully.
    Silvestri: an uninspired and tired Zimmer copying composer, with thankfully few exceptions.
    Giacchino: has his style, hired to do fantasy and sci-fi grand films that would previously require John Williams.

Horner has a very distinct 90's Hollywood style that sadly directors and studio execs think of as too 'old-fashioned' nowdays.

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man too but parts of it and Avatar do sound a bit Zimmer-like. So he's not as different as one would think.

Not as bad as the Zimmer lift in Karate Kid, where Horner basically rewrote the King Arthur main theme...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic (1948) - Ralph William Vaughan
    Re-recording on Chandos.

Timmer is right about this one. He is right about this one. wink

Volker

Class! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Scott of the Antarctic (1948) - Ralph William Vaughan
    Re-recording on Chandos.

Timmer is right about this one. He is right about this one. wink

Volker

Class! beer

Does anyone here know the origins of the OST of Scott of The Antarctic on Spotify? The sound is great and some pieces differ from the CHANDOS release. I'm surprised it hasn't been released on album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014 edited
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I loved The Amazing Spider-Man too but parts of it and Avatar do sound a bit Zimmer-like. So he's not as different as one would think.

Yer shitting me? It's like Shostakovitch and Prokofiev never existed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat

Oh, this is brilliant. So light and airy - and witty.

Fluffy too ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

That's not me you're quoting. I don't hear any Zimmer in Amazing Spider-Man, but there are a couple of anthems in Avatar indeed.
  3. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Fluffy too ?

Quirky. Severely quirky.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Kevin Scarlet wrote

That's not me you're quoting. I don't hear any Zimmer in Amazing Spider-Man, but there are a couple of anthems in Avatar indeed.

My apologies Pawel. Fixed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    It's great. Very catchy. The theme with the dulcimer (?) and the balalaika tunes are awesome.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DAWNING PROMISES (Icon)

Pretty standard and interchangeble collection of trailer music cues. Some it is nice enough (especially the more ethereal bits), but rather forgettable overall. I'm simply not that into this thing (and the Two Steps From Hell stuff).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Pretty standard and interchangeble collection of trailer music cues. Some it is nice enough (especially the more ethereal bits), but rather forgettable overall. I'm simply not that into this thing (and the Two Steps From Hell stuff).

I was listening to E.S. Posthumus UNEARTHED last night, it's been a long time since I last listened but I remembered quite enjoying it? Last night I didn't, in fact I found some of it downright cheesy, there's good cheesy and there's bad cheesy and this fell into the latter category.
  4. Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Fluffy too ?

In a sickly sweet sort of a way like candy floss?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

I was listening to E.S. Posthumus UNEARTHED last night, it's been a long time since I last listened but I remembered quite enjoying it? Last night I didn't, in fact I found some of it downright cheesy, there's good cheesy and there's bad cheesy and this fell into the latter category.

It's simply a "genre" that doesn't appeal to me, for whatever reason. But I realize it's very popular, especially here at Maintitles.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    E.S.Posthumus are much better than the average output of this genre ( i am with you on this one, other than E.S.Posthumus).
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : SWEPT AWAY - Michel Colombier

Some of the more overtly Greek tunes are a bit much for me but the rest of the score is very good.

As for the film? I am pretty sure I will die having never seen it.
  5. Demetris wrote
    E.S.Posthumus are much better than the average output of this genre ( i am with you on this one, other than E.S.Posthumus).

Must...not...talk...about...Thomas...Bergersen... crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Has this ES Promethues ever written anything like Bergersen's The Devil Wears Nada, or Two Steps From Heaven? Those two albums have some surprisingly 'traditional' filmmusic-type tracks.
  6. Posthumus, not Prometheus biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Makara E.S. Posthumethues

Almost at the end of the album. Not sure what all the fuss is about?
  7. But Steven, don't you know that E.S. Posthaste are the only trailer music group/composers worth knowing or caring about or listening to and that this is an undeniable FACT!?!?!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ed, calm yo tits mate, E.S.Posthumus weren't trailer music composers / group; they wrote studio albums out of which studios started using pieces as trailer music and thus trailer music was initiated in general, as a genre.

Steven, check out their first albums, Unearthed and Cartographer instead. Makara was too on the pop side of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Southall wrote

Fluffy too ?

In a sickly sweet sort of a way like candy floss?

I don't think fluffy is a word I'd use to describe it, really.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  8. Wolves generally are. Until you get too close. wink

Demetris wrote
    Ed, calm yo tits mate

Doesn't seem like I'm the one who needs to calm down, really...I was being lighthearted. But seriously, what if someone kept insisting that the only good (orchestral) game music composer was Michael Giacchino because he was one of the first and had a big influence on the genre? That's obviously not right. But that's kind of what you're doing with E.S. Posthumus. Just because they're first (and had a big influence on the sound of the genre) doesn't mean nobody else is worth listening to or that everyone else who followed is therefore inferior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    You learn something new every day. I assumed E.S. Posthumus was a person, not a group.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Steven, check out their first albums, Unearthed and Cartographer instead. Makara was too on the pop side of things.

Will do!
  9. Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Will do!

Just ckecked Unearthed. Well, OK ... anybody here remember Michael Cretu's Enigma back in 1999? Unearthed sounds like an update. The more orchestral parts sound a bit like Mike Batt.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I listened to Thomas Bergersen's ILLUSIONS earlier. I really enjoyed one particular track 'Immortal', I don't know why? It just had the kind of hook I like I guess!? The rest of it was....... :shrug:
  10. Timmer wrote
    I listened to Thomas Bergersen's ILLUSIONS earlier. I really enjoyed one particular track 'Immortal', I don't know why? It just had the kind of hook I like I guess!? The rest of it was....... :shrug:

That's not one of my absolute favorite cues from that album, but it's good. Then again, I couldn't name you a single cue off of that album that I don't really enjoy. Very consistent to me (which is why I'm surprised that one cue stood out to you so much).

Glad you at least liked some of it though. beer