• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013 edited
    I think for the Book Thief score to have more emotional impact, needs the film to be seen or at least the story to be known. If the film finale is the same as the book, the "Finale" cue is a surprising emotional counterpoint to what's actually happening. I think it will be a tearjerker in the film, if they spotted it right.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2013
    Steven wrote
    Urgh. I can't stand brass on its own, it just reminds me of (as you say) Ground Force. I appreciate the warning! tongue

Fair enough. Horses for courses, eh what?
    Just finished up. What a GREAT theme. I really enjoy Goodwin's work!

Was playing The Book Thief John Williams
    I think I'll put the end credits suite into a playlist and leave it at that!

That's just what I did.
    As I said before, sadly my taste (and/or John's style) have developed such that a new Williams by no means is an automatic buy for me any more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Martijn wrote
    NP: The Witchfinder General - Paul Ferris

A release that was VERY long in the making, having been announced and then canceled or postponed numerous times.
    But here it is, Paul Ferris' outstanding score for what arguably is Vincent Price's best film.
    The score, from 1968, is monaural, which is no surprise, but DeWolfe Music has cleaned it up beautifully.

The only little niggle I would have is that the compression seems a bit over the top: the trebble seems very condensed, but this may well simply be my headphones playing tricks on me. The sound is overall very clear.

The score is excellent. For a horror film (well, it's not really a horror film in the classical sense as there are no supernatural goings-on. But the mood is very dark and grim and very reminiscent in style and tone of the best of Hammer House.) the music is overall surprisingly melodic. Even the obligatory tension and terror cues are generally not in the dissonant vein that dominates sixties and seventies horror scoring.

In fact the overall feel -with some exceptions- is rather Romantic, if anything!
    Mainly though that's to do with the absolutely gorgeous main and secondary themes.
    I remember especially the secondary theme being repeated throughout the film a zillion times, but its re-appearance on the CD only becomes really noticeable in the second half. Which isn't a bad thing: it's so lovely I wouldn't want it to outstay its welcome.

Clearly DeWolfe has tried to scrounge as much from the original sound track as possible, as there are quite a few very brief ((well)under a minute in length) cues I could have done without. However, within the "musical narrative" (for lack of a better word) of the CD they don't annoy. In fact overall the whole thing is an amazingly well-balanced listen.

And those themes...they really are phenomenal.

I found that it's the romantic aspect of the score that appeals to me. Some of these romantic cues are quite excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: DE TØFFESTE GUTTA (THE TOUGH GUYS) (Eirik Myhr)

Our own PlingKong's music for the Norwegian children's film. Some great stuff here, although I would have maybe have focussed the listening experience a bit more.

I agree. It's a fun score, very entertaining. I also like that the banjo plays the lead in so many tracks and main theme. Not often used in (super) hero scores. And the rock song approach often is great. Love the Mojo Trip! :p

Fun stuff, loved it too and i am not usually a fan of this genre.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Steven wrote
    Urgh. I can't stand brass on its own, it just reminds me of (as you say) Ground Force. I appreciate the warning! tongue

Fair enough. Horses for courses, eh what?
    Just finished up. What a GREAT theme. I really enjoy Goodwin's work!

Was playing The Book Thief John Williams
    I think I'll put the end credits suite into a playlist and leave it at that!

That's just what I did.
    As I said before, sadly my taste (and/or John's style) have developed such that a new Williams by no means is an automatic buy for me any more.

The saccharine films aren't challenging him enough anymore; Spielbergh is heading into this territory that doesn't fit Williams' artistic creativity anymore; look at how differently he performs with darker movies and or complex atonal stuff like his concert works.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    NP: "The Scroll Carries The Man" by Blake Neely from Space Shuttle Columbia

Its amazing how similar it sounds to a lot of Ludovico Einaudi's music. I keep thinking I'm listening to Einaudi when I hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    NP: JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN (Ilan Eshkeri)

This is quite fun, isn't it? (even though it taps into David Arnold quite overtly at times). I don't have the first one.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yeah, I like that score. There's a bit of Arnold in there, sure (it's a Bond parody score, after all), but the main theme strikes me as rather Alan Silvestri-like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2013
    There is a bit too much bombast for my taste, though. That's my only caveat.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Hmm, yes, well. tongue
  4. NP: The Words (Marcelo Zarvos)

Like many a film about a fictional artist (in this case, a novellist), the film is pretty pretentious. (This is coming from me!) But it did free up Zarvos to write one of his more nuanced and compelling scores. It doesn't always help the film, but it is a fine standalone listen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2013 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: The Witchfinder General - Paul Ferris

A release that was VERY long in the making, having been announced and then canceled or postponed numerous times.
    But here it is, Paul Ferris' outstanding score for what arguably is Vincent Price's best film.
    The score, from 1968, is monaural, which is no surprise, but DeWolfe Music has cleaned it up beautifully.

The only little niggle I would have is that the compression seems a bit over the top: the trebble seems very condensed, but this may well simply be my headphones playing tricks on me. The sound is overall very clear.

The score is excellent. For a horror film (well, it's not really a horror film in the classical sense as there are no supernatural goings-on. But the mood is very dark and grim and very reminiscent in style and tone of the best of Hammer House.) the music is overall surprisingly melodic. Even the obligatory tension and terror cues are generally not in the dissonant vein that dominates sixties and seventies horror scoring.

In fact the overall feel -with some exceptions- is rather Romantic, if anything!
    Mainly though that's to do with the absolutely gorgeous main and secondary themes.
    I remember especially the secondary theme being repeated throughout the film a zillion times, but its re-appearance on the CD only becomes really noticeable in the second half. Which isn't a bad thing: it's so lovely I wouldn't want it to outstay its welcome.

Clearly DeWolfe has tried to scrounge as much from the original sound track as possible, as there are quite a few very brief ((well)under a minute in length) cues I could have done without. However, within the "musical narrative" (for lack of a better word) of the CD they don't annoy. In fact overall the whole thing is an amazingly well-balanced listen.

And those themes...they really are phenomenal.

NP : WITCHFINDER GENERAL - Paul Ferris

Not much more I can add really? It's just wonderful to finally have a score that had so many false release dates that it looked like it was going to be some kind of poor taste joke on fans.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013) - Howard Shore
    Standard Edition

I'm going to aquaint myself to the shorter version first.

Volker

Edit:
    Wow, this is like listening to a new STAR WARS album! I love the new themes that Shore has found. I love, how the style slowly veers more and more towards LotR. At the same time it's like the score is holding its breath in places, as if to prepare for the final that is yet to come. Sparse choir for instance. A great score, easily *****.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. Mark Mancina - Speed 2 - Cruise Control

A classic MV score with PROPER orchestrations (woodwinds and all)? I'm in! I love it and glad I got it from La La on a discount (they were selling it for 9.99$ and got sold out not much later).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  7. NP: 'Solomon' 12 Years a Slave (Zimmer)

I have tried to notice this piece of music. Somehow, and I'm now listening to it the 5th time or something, by the end of the cue, I've lost track of it and am always thinking about something else. (Which makes it great to work to, but I don't know that's a musical compliment.)

EDIT - darn, lost track of it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2013
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: 'Solomon' 12 Years a Slave (Zimmer)

I have tried to notice this piece of music. Somehow, and I'm now listening to it the 5th time or something, by the end of the cue, I've lost track of it and am always thinking about something else. (Which makes it great to work to, but I don't know that's a musical compliment.)

EDIT - darn, lost track of it again.

Wow, that is EXACTLY my experience with it smile
  8. I know! I want to know what happens -- it's only 3 minutes wink
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

Still haven't made it through this entire thing yet but the highlight cues are something else. "My Armor is Iron" is truly stupendous, maybe one of the best things Shore has written. What he does with Smaug's theme is revelatory.
  9. I listened through the shorter standard edition only once yet and probably without due attention. When time alows I will return to the score and eventually hold the special edition against it in order to find out if there are any diverging arrangements this time.
    My fist impression though was very very positive.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    There are seven seconds of music that are unique to the standard edition. tongue
  10. Ha! I knew it! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Jim Ware wrote
    There are seven seconds of music that are unique to the standard edition. tongue

Don't tease Jim, they'll all want it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Patton - Jerry Goldsmith

Masterpiece.
  11. Jim Ware wrote

crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

Actually rather relieved.
  12. NP: Crossed Swords (1978) - Maurice Jarre

A really nice orchestral romb. Very 70s, very classy. To be honest I would have guessed Mancini rather than Jarre. There are few Jarre mannerisms here. Suprisingly scarse drums and percussions for instance. The chord progression of one theme slightly reminds you on "Lara's Theme".
    The renaissance style music comes across light hearted and in places with a splash of irony.

I got "The Tin Drum" this year and "A Passage to India" is ordered. That makes Jarre one of my composers of the year. If only they could release "Shogun"...

Thanks, Timmer, for the tip!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    smile beer
  13. Captain Future wrote
    I listened through the shorter standard edition only once yet and probably without due attention. When time alows I will return to the score and eventually hold the special edition against it in order to find out if there are any diverging arrangements this time.
    My fist impression though was very very positive.

Volker

I do think that, as a listening experiance, I prefer the shorter version.

Of course I have to justify my double purchase ... biggrin
  14. NP: High Noon (1952) - Dimitri Tiomkin

One of the best western scores ever. Fabulous! The title song is legendary.

I have to watch the film again. Gary Cooper with one of his finest performances. And of course there is Grace love love love Kelly!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
    Groundbreaking film!
    Seen it a dozen times. And WHAT a score. A tour de force for Tiomkin.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
    Gravity Not David Arnold

It's all very tense and atmospheric, and I can imagine it working wonders in the film... but this is my fourth attempt, and I'm finding it very hard to reach what are supposedly the highlights of the score.