• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2013
    NP : HOWARD THE DUCK - John Barry

An excellent score to a film I'm sure George Lucas would rather forget ( though he should be more proud of this than Star Wars 1, 2 & 3 ). There's only 20 minutes of score ( I've set up my deck to play this vinyl ) but a whole lot more in the film, I hope this see's a CD release one day.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. I saw the other day Disney is thinking about remaking HtD. Because apparently one crapbomb wasn't enough.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013
    Thor wrote
    NP: JOHNNY ENGLISH REBORN (Ilan Eshkeri)

This is quite fun, isn't it? (even though it taps into David Arnold quite overtly at times). I don't have the first one.

I much prefer Edward Shearmur's score for the first movie over this one. It has the right amount of cheeky fun and seriousness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Hours - Philip Glass

Bliss!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Hours - Philip Glass

Bliss!

-Erik-

Classic score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE RIGHT TO LOVE - AN AMERICAN FAMILY (Edwin Wendler)

Nice, breezy score by Peter Hackman's new 'beau'. (for those who don't know, Peter Hackman is the FSM member who hosts the Fans of Film Music gatherings in LA every year).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2013 edited
    NP : THE SANDPEBBLES - Jerry Goldsmith

Fantastic score! It's nice going through some of my old vinyl collection, a lot of which is more accessable to me than my CD's right now.

Not the version I'm playing ( the original ) but check this out...

Now THIS is a TUNE!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished watching a facinating documentary on the life and career of Ray Harryhausen. So, I just had to come down to my lair and blast...

NP: The 7th Voyage of Sinbad - Bernard Herrmann

This is John Debney's super re-recording of the score with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra. One of my all time favourite Herrmann scores and one of the rare complete Herrmann scores that I can get through from start to finish! Outstanding!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013 edited
    NP : TESS - Philippe Sarde

Great GREAT score! I'd forgotten that the LP version starts with a pop arrangement of the love theme performed by Larry butler, it has nothing to do with the original film score but it is very pleasant if cheesy as cheddar.

As you can SEE, the LP cover is far better than the Universal France CD release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2013
    NP: THERE'S A WHOLE LALO SCHIFRIN GOIN' ON (Lalo Schifrin)

I'm not sure what this is...a compilation, new interpretations of classic tracks or whatever. But I dig it! Great title too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE ODESSA FILE - Andrew Lloyd Webber

It's just as bad as I remember. I think I picked this up years ago for about 50 pence.

For me this is a good example of a really superb film ( starring Jon Voight and well worth watching ) nearly ruined by it's score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ...right that's enough of THAT!!!!

NP : DRACULA - John Williams

Glorious dark, gothic romantic score.
  2. NP: "Doctor Who: The 50th Anniversary Collection" - Various

A day of extremes. Started off this morning with Shore's The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug which was certainly more enjoyable that the first outing of The Hobbit.

And ending tonight with something completely different. This is a 4 CD set spanning "music" from the 1963 story "An Unearthly Child" right up to music by Murray Gold from series 7. This set is going to take a while to get through particularly when it comes to finding something that's actually worth listening to.

The set is more of historical value I think in terms of seeing how the soundtrack develops from the early days when sound effects doubles up as the score, the genesis and development of synth-driven scores and through to Debney and Gold's more orchestral approaches (there's no new music from the TV movie or Gold's previously-released CDs). Some of it - particularly the early stuff - I am finding unlistenable though I am intrigued to hear more of what Geoffrey Burgon composed for the show.

The most enjoyable part is hearing the various versions of the iconic theme for the show itself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Vibes - James Honrer

Still one of my all time favourite Horner scores!

-Erik-
  3. RUSH - Hans Zimmer

First listen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Played a few CDs today.

Cocoon (Deluxe) - Horner
    Just plain wonderful!

Black Beauty (Deluxe) - Elfman
    Sumptuous, lyrical score right up there with Edward Scissorhands and Sommersby!

The Paradise - Maurizio Malagnini
    Exquisite! One of the finest television scores out there!
  4. NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ( 2012) - Howard Shore
    Standard edition.

Fantastic!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey ( 2012) - Howard Shore
    Standard edition.

Fantastic!

Volker

yeah kiss
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Une Vie Ailleurs - Maximilien Mathevon

A promo, kindly made available to me by the composer (who tends to post on this very forum, by the way).
    Now this is a surprise! And a lovely one at that!
    Strong, modern, with just the right touch of lyricism, this score for a documentary (no idea what it's about!) is a VERY welcome and pleasant 70 minutes to spend!

There's a bit of a Jesper Kyd electronics vibe in there that really gells with me, but overall it's much less dark than Kyd's work: thematic, melodic, with some very interesting orchestrations.

I'll revisit this later on and try and write a more thorough review.
    It's VERY worthwhile!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013 edited
    NP: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Howard Shore

Listening with the much-mocked theme guide from jwfan forums. So far, everything he says is there, is very obviously there. If anything, there's even more than he bothered to write down. Shore rarely wastes a single note. Every musical moment, even the more atonal ones, are important bricks in the giant beautiful cathedral that is this Middle-Earth musical epic. And for the actual themes listed in the the theme guide, we're not just talking about "musical ideas" that are "groups of tones" or "repetitions of 1 or 2 notes" or any of that rubbish. No, every single one of them is a proper musical phrase of at least 4 or 5 notes and often many more. Whether you're referring to them as themes or motifs, I don't really care, to call this thing "themeless" is to be so overwhelmed by how many damn themes/motifs there are that you can't quite wrap your head around the fact that almost every phrase you're hearing is a repeating idea associated with a concept in the film. Which I suppose is understandable, because this music is so dense with constant leitmotif that its like being a kid in a candy shop for those of us who love the technique.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2013
    Well, that makes one of us.
    wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I even just heard a slightly modified version of Bilbo's theme in the 2nd minute of "Flies and Spiders" that the jwfan list completely omits. And that's a 15-note obvious melody. I am in awe of Shore's artistic integrity for continuing to even bother to further develop themes that were mostly omitted from the first film when some moron decided to replace vast tracts of Shore's brilliant work with inappropriate stuff from the original trilogy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Quick, let's add it to the copyrighted list! smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Quick, let's add it to the copyrighted list! smile

I can't, that would be a crime, in fact I'm probably risking being arrested just for talking about it without his permission wink

By the way, it just occurred to me, when you said "themeless" maybe you meant "lacking a single unifying main theme" the way the first score had the Misty Mountains theme; and did not mean "not containing any themes" which is the way it sounded to me and a few others when I read it...must be the language gap because the first interpretation makes much more sense!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Some further observations to be updated as I finish listening:

"The Forest River" might be the action cue of the year (for me). Stunning! Thrilling!

Several new themes for the elf maiden Tauriel played by Lost's Evangeline Lily, and they are all awesome, both in action mode and ethereal lovetheme mode.

It doesn't help this score's case that many of the new themes use the same old brass+string instrumentation over and over again. Unless you listen multiple times and are really paying attention, its hard to tell them all apart, because they all sound the same as far as which instruments are being used. There are fewer sonic textures in this score than there were in LotR. Fewer interesting, easily recognizable ethnic instruments. So its harder to listen to, harder to pick out the themes, I definitely understand the lukewarm reactions from many here. But I also appreciate the subtlety. These scores should NOT be bigger and broader than the LotR scores, in my opinion.

Laketown theme is exciting and adventurous, kind of a militaristic blend of the Rohan theme with Giacchino's "travelling theme" from Lost, or maybe I just have Lost on the mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    "The Forest River" might be the action cue of the year. Stunning! Thrilling!

Excellent cue... but it doesn't hold a candle to any of Beltrami's action cues in A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    So its harder to listen to, harder to pick out the themes, I definitely understand the lukewarm reactions from many here. But I also appreciate the subtlety. These scores should NOT be bigger and broader than the LotR scores, in my opinion.

You just described one of the biggest issues I have with modern day film scoring.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Erik Woods wrote
    Excellent cue... but it doesn't hold a candle to any of Beltrami's action cues in A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD.

Beltrami's action music has never done much for me. Not thematic enough. Not melodic enough. Whereas "Forest River" is teeming with action-mode variations of several of the new themes. I suppose I should have said "my action cue of the year"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Scribe wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Beltrami's action music has never done much for me. Not thematic enough. Not melodic enough.

The hell you say? shocked Kamen's themes are BRIMMING in A GOOD DAY TO DIE HARD.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I guess I'm just ignorant since I have no interest in those films whatsoever. I stopped watching the last one 2/3 of the way through because I was so bored. Thus I do understand the perspective of people who don't enjoy the Middle-Earth films enough to sit down and learn all the themes in these scores.