• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014
    Southall wrote
    But who's that bloody irritating journalist rambling on with the filmmakers at the end?

shame
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: METSÄN TARINA (Paanu Aaltio)

This is just brilliant, and a deserved winner of the IFMCA award in the documentary category that year (2012). It has that George Fenton thing going on, but at the same time more restrained, in typical North-European fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Bregt wrote
    I am here to say that The Grand Budapest Hotel is a fine place to be at. The events during the Cold Blooded Murder of Deputy Vilmos Kovacs are very realistic though.

Cheeky boy. No Chimeau bleu for you today. smile

Franz, have you seen La Grande Bellezza already?

No good beer for me either. I am still waiting for that clean 3 hour block when my wife feels like watching it too. I should just watch it alone. shame

Southall wrote
    King of Devil's Island - Johan Soderqvist

My word, this is good. Paging franz_conrad.

What? Who? How? Where? (iTunes don't have it)

PawelStroinski wrote
    Hmm, I wouldn't say they are very realistic... except the fingers. It's still done with quite a bit of black humor.

I assumed Bregt was joking. If he isn't, there's a sense of what realism is in film prevailing here that's a bit different to what I've been teaching... which I guess is good, if it means a very attentive audience doesn't notice the artifice.

PawelStroinski wrote
    I'd agree that he's not a realist at all. Maybe slightly the acting convention, but there is quite a bit of theatricality to that too. What makes the film antirealistic to me is the overly conscious use of camera movement. These 90 degree pans done before the character even gets there and things like that. Realism fakes narrative transparency, tries to "mirror" the world in a mimetic sense... Anderson doesn't seem to be interested in that.

Yeah. I'm not even sure I'd let the acting convention get away unscathed. Neither the behaviour, the language of the dialogue, nor the delivery (deadpan or comic distance) feel like the way real people talk.

Perhaps by realism Thor means - 'these things could really have happened'*, as opposed to how the style of filmmaking fits on a realist/formalist spectrum? Because the style is as artifice-driven as Burton. And that he find the stylised film language is at odds with the content? If that's the case, he shouldn't have a problem with Grand Budapest Hotel, since the action is a long way from reality, even if it alludes to history.

Or is it that serious films are allowed to be so styled? So Stalker is allowed... hmmm... no that can't be it. Because apparently Tim Burton is meant to be funny, although personally I've never seen it.

* It can't be that, surely. The Life Aquatic? Mr Fox? Only in a couple of his films -- Tennenbaums? -- does it feel like these things could have actually happened.

NP: Stalker (Edward Artemyev)

Mystical.

Now THIS one is great, both film and score. No quirk; just straighforward, serious mysticism.

May we never get trapped on a desert island together. The occasional agreements are hard won.
    (And there is a little bit of quirk there -- Tarkovsky has a feint sense of humour too. wink )
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If there is quirk in Tarkovsky, I have yet to see it. But of course I wouldn't rule it out.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2014 edited
    NP: The Hobbit - Parts I & II (Special Editions) - Howard Shore

A lot of movies would KILL to have such magnificent scores.
  2. I think it's a language thing. Do you mean 'humour' by 'quirk', or just 'oddness'?

(The woman - the two that are there - are mostly caricature before the end rolls around.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think it's a language thing. Do you mean 'humour' by 'quirk', or just 'oddness'?

(The woman - the two that are there - are mostly caricature before the end rolls around.)

Oddness, mostly, but it's a mix of both. Granted, it's been ages since I saw STALKER last.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Ralph Kruhm wrote

A lot of movies would be able to get such magnificent scores if they just let the composers do what they're best at instead of leaning on temp tracks and/or trying so hard to do something "crazy" and "radical" and "new".
  4. NP: Cosmopolis (Howard Shore)

The best Howard Shore musical experience since The Departed, and not bettered since. There's more to life than a million motifs. Hypnotic mood has to count for something over sturm und drung.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    As far as Shore & Cronenberg is concerned, I have to say that I don't really like.......oh, forget it. biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  5. biggrin I bloody hate the film, don't get me wrong. But it's a great album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    This is the politest internet flame war I've ever witnessed.
  6. I burn for...

Wait, now that I've got your attention -- that Soderqvist score you mentioned. Do elaborate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Ah yes. It's being released by Caldera Records. Very impressive atmospheric scoring that I'd imagine would sit ell with you. I shall expand tomorrow following a second listen.
  7. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Inside Llewyn Davis (T Bone Burnett, Oscar Isaac and others)

Few films in the last year put music at their centre quite like Llewyn Davis did. 'Fare thee Well' is moving - particularly in its solo performance by Oscar Isaac at the end of the album. 'Five Hundred Miles', with Justin Timberlake and Carey Mulligan joining Stark Sands on vocals, longs for a better world.

It hurts my head a little that filmmakers can make a film around music, threading the themes through their script, and most film music fans would never think twice about it. (Because it's not a score, because it's got lyrics, because it's folk music and not that curious rock-orchestral-electronica hybrid idiom that now passes for most film music.)

I couldn't stand that score, to be honest. Irritating, non-stop folk songs that were played out in full at all times. There's something very aggravating about a certain type of bluegrass and other folksy genres when there's too much of it (I didn't like O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU either, although the tone of that film made it easier to swallow). Drove me up the wall eventually.

Then again, I didn't like INSIDE LLEWYIN DAVIS that much as a film either; I found it rather overrated and "hipster-y".

I have yet to read or hear a clear definition of "hipster." But I guess I don't care that much.
  8. Sneakers and The Spitfire Grill - James Horner

Scores like these are why I miss Horner greatly. Was he really exiled from Hollywood?
  9. Enemy at the Gates - James Horner

Ugh...please come back, Horner. sad
  10. NP: The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014) - Hans Zimmer

Again.

Brilliant combination of electronica and orchestral elements in the best tradition of Edgar Froese, Chris Franke and Vangelis. Quirky, intelligent, creative. Zimmer in top form.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

A lot of movies would be able to get such magnificent scores if they just let the composers do what they're best at instead of leaning on temp tracks and/or trying so hard to do something "crazy" and "radical" and "new".

That´s why I said "the MOVIES would kill". I didn´t write "directors" and "producers" on purpose.
  12. Blockbuster movies have become so expensive that one failure might be the end even of a major studio. The other thing is that film studios are fighting a desperate battle with video game companies. Therefore they play it save, promote viedo game aesthetics, use the most popular composer in town, do reboots upon reboots. Don't take any creative risks. It might be your end.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KATMANDU (Pascal Gaigne)

I have several Gaigne albums. I just dig his atmospheric, "artsy" approach to things. Combine it with ethnic elements, like in this case, and we have a winner.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Sneakers and The Spitfire Grill - James Horner

Scores like these are why I miss Horner greatly. Was he really exiled from Hollywood?

I think that it's kind of a self-imposed exile. Many people wondered why didn't he come back for Spider-Man 2. I wouldn't take him again myself after he basically publicly stated "I didn't really want to do it, I hate the genre, so they had to basically beg me. I agreed only because the director was an old friend". And as far as I remember, my paraphrasis isn't that far off what he originally said about it.

After the Romeo & Juliet ordeal (when he reportedly wasn't exactly the nicest to the producers when they approached him to rescore it), he is taking a year off, but he might score the new Annaud and he's still got the Avatar sequels on his belt.

That said:

Hans Zimmer and the Magnificent Six - The Amazing Spider-Man 2

I dug Rush a lot, but when it comes to pure blockbuster I am the most happy camper with this one since Inception. Creative, smart, combining the Horner blueprint (the theme is not far off, there's a traditional thematic structure to it as well), while adding some pure creativity to it. To me it's a winner.

I settled for the regular edition this time. The stories of unpacking the Deluxe are of the horror kind. Not to mention that it's almost twice as expensive, though I managed to get a free copy somehow (nobody in RCP involved, if you wanna know), even if it's not for a review. I'll just keep the suites really smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Regarding your description of Zimmer's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Pawel, well said!!
    I love my traditional full orchestral fare but when a modern, predominantly synthetic score is done as well as this one I'm impressed! Good fun. Great album!
  14. But there is quite a traditional backdrop to it, isn't there? Whatever is *not* Electro is not that far off from Horner. The only real difference is their education. smile
  15. franz_conrad wrote
    Yeah. I'm not even sure I'd let the acting convention get away unscathed. Neither the behaviour, the language of the dialogue, nor the delivery (deadpan or comic distance) feel like the way real people talk.

Perhaps by realism Thor means - 'these things could really have happened'*, as opposed to how the style of filmmaking fits on a realist/formalist spectrum? Because the style is as artifice-driven as Burton. And that he find the stylised film language is at odds with the content? If that's the case, he shouldn't have a problem with Grand Budapest Hotel, since the action is a long way from reality, even if it alludes to history.

Or is it that serious films are allowed to be so styled? So Stalker is allowed... hmmm... no that can't be it. Because apparently Tim Burton is meant to be funny, although personally I've never seen it.

* It can't be that, surely. The Life Aquatic? Mr Fox? Only in a couple of his films -- Tennenbaums? -- does it feel like these things could have actually happened.

Yeah, it's quite theatrical and non-realistic, but what I mean that it is still that bit more low-key than it would be in theatre. That's why I say the acting is more "realistic" than the rest of the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    For the record, I'm not denying Anderson is heavily stylized. He simply doesn't take it far enough for my taste. The only way I can deal with 'quirk' (the way I define it) is if it's taken all out into almost fantasy-land, like Burton often does. In Anderson's films, it's all supposed to be so friggin' devious and subtle, especially in the dialogue, that I fall off. The mise-en-scene, while stylized (especially in terms of colour), is just slightly off the realist realm that the subtle comedy comes off as ad hoc and annoying.

But again, this may relate to my distaste of genre mixing, especially in terms of comedy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    PawelStroinski wrote
    But there is quite a traditional backdrop to it, isn't there? Whatever is *not* Electro is not that far off from Horner. The only real difference is their education. smile

Indeed. Have you noticed track 8: "You Need Me" sounds like a very close cousin to the Horner theme!
  16. It is also quite obviously modeled upon Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man". Which is not such a bad thing, since Peter Parker is supposed to represent the common US boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SWORDFISH (Paul Oakenfold)

punk
    I am extremely serious.
  17. What about Christopher Young? wink