• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    King of Devil's Island - Johan Soderqvist

This is outstanding music, an eerie and distinctively Scandinavian calm running throughout. A harsh but strangely beautiful musical landscape. I could listen to it all day.
  1. Is it on Spotify?

Christopher Young - An Unfinished Life

Just what I need at the moment smile .
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2014
    I just looked. Not here it isn't, plenty of other Soderqvist scores though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: The Film Music of Miklos Rozsa (2014) on Chandos

- Sahara
    - Ben-Hur

This album is a marvel!

I wonder if anyone has obtained both this album and The Man in Half Moon Street (Intrada). Both contain suites from "Sahara" and a comparison would be interesting.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2014
    Funnily enough Captain...

NP : KING OF KINGS - Miklos Rozsa

The film is on TV right now but I thought it better to switch off and play the music instead. Awesome AWESOME work.

Happy Ishtar everyone.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER - John Barry

Brrrrrrrilliant!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    Funnily enough Captain...

NP : KING OF KINGS - Miklos Rozsa

The film is on TV right now but I thought it better to switch off and play the music instead. Awesome AWESOME work.

It's a VERY good film as well, I think.
    The only Jesus biopic I find not only passable, but in fact powerful and thought-provoking (thanks in no small part to Rozsa's awe-inspiring (the term is bandied about too much. THIS is an example of where it is TOTALLY appropriate.) score: whenever the theme plays, or during the scoring of The Lord's Prayer, I suddenly understand perfectly the force and seduction of unwavering faith).

To be sure: it was never so powerful that my militant atheism ever waivered for even the barest microsecond, but it certainly made me a little milder.
    I think.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I know exactly what you mean. I think?
  3. I wish there was a movie that would address faith proper in a contemporary setting in a moderate and thought-provoking manner. Films featuring religious are either preaching theism or atheism (the power of faith vs. radicalism).

I think films have discussed religion as an institution quite interestingly (Flesh + Blood or in a misguided manner these same points are made in Kingdom of Heaven), but personal faith is not something discussed often in a quite even-handed manner. That's quite interesting.

And I don't quite think I'd like to see yet another biography or Christ or a Biblical epic as a discussion of faith (I think what I loved about the animated Prince of Egypt was that it's just a psychological drama of epic proportions, yeah, Moses was inspired by God and all that, but at the core of it is the relationship between Moses and his "brother", it's addressed quite deeply).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Night Games - John Barry

Excellent score for one of the great films.
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    I wish there was a movie that would address faith proper in a contemporary setting in a moderate and thought-provoking manner. Films featuring religious are either preaching theism or atheism (the power of faith vs. radicalism).

I think films have discussed religion as an institution quite interestingly (Flesh + Blood or in a misguided manner these same points are made in Kingdom of Heaven), but personal faith is not something discussed often in a quite even-handed manner. That's quite interesting.

And I don't quite think I'd like to see yet another biography or Christ or a Biblical epic as a discussion of faith (I think what I loved about the animated Prince of Egypt was that it's just a psychological drama of epic proportions, yeah, Moses was inspired by God and all that, but at the core of it is the relationship between Moses and his "brother", it's addressed quite deeply).

I found The Passion of the Christ, both film and score, to be quite masterful. The only Jesus narrative I genuinely enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There's also Scorsese's LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST or Pasolini's THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO ST. MATTHEW. Neither are 'preachy' and do -- in fact -- contain a fair amount of criticism and controversy.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I wish there was a movie that would address faith proper in a contemporary setting in a moderate and thought-provoking manner. Films featuring religious are either preaching theism or atheism (the power of faith vs. radicalism).

Hmm, I'm not sure there are many films that actually preach atheism? (In Hollywood at least.)

In fact, I think it's still the fashion (i.e. safer, less taboo, more likely to appeal to the masses) to show faith in a positive light in mainstream movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Amaze Balls Spider-Man 2 Hans Zimmer and Co.

Its brilliance has yet to reveal itself to me...
  5. Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Hmm, I'm not sure there are many films that actually preach atheism? (In Hollywood at least.)

In fact, I think it's still the fashion (i.e. safer, less taboo, more likely to appeal to the masses) to show faith in a positive light in mainstream movies.

So you'd say that there are anti-religious, but pro-faith film?

You'd never make me believe that an epic like Kingdom of Heaven shows religion in a good light.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Night Games - John Barry

Have you seen the film James? ( I haven't and suspect you're pointing out that it's not good )

Bloody good score though. And some of the best track titles ever wink
  6. Steven wrote
    The Amaze Balls Spider-Man 2 Hans Zimmer and Co.

Its brilliance has yet to reveal itself to me...

Steven, do you like electronica in general?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE UNKNOWN KNOWN (Danny Elfman)

Just gorgeous...and a natural followup to S.O.P. -- one of the best scores of the 2000s. Embroidered minimalism at its best.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    Night Games - John Barry

Have you seen the film James? ( I haven't and suspect you're pointing out that it's not good )

Bloody good score though. And some of the best track titles ever wink

I haven't. i'd quite like too, though wink
  7. NP: Krabat (2008) - Annette Focks

Probably the finest German fantasy score since Doldinger's Never Ending Story.

Volker
  8. Captain Future wrote
    NP: Krabat (2008) - Annette Focks

Volker

I heard it several years ago, and it was good. Have you heard the one I reviewed a couple of days ago Volker? The Three Investigators? Really wonderful orchestral score
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Krabat (2008) - Annette Focks

Volker

Now you made me curious. I like her OSTWIND and NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON, both of which I have.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. @Thomas:
    No, I haven't yet. I have just started to discover Annette Focks.

@Thor:
    As the story demands, the tone is much darker than in Never Ending Story. Stylistically it references Shore's LoR.
  10. NP: Play it Again: The Classic Sound of Hollywood (2014) - Various Artists

The additional material by Charles Gerhardt that is not contained in his classic anthology has prompted me to buy this compilation in spite of what I said earlier.

The other recordings not by Gerhardt are also first rate. The compilation is nicely put together and makes for a fine listening experiance.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2014 edited
    NP: Lair - John Debney and Kevin Kaska

Got the new La La Land release last week, which gave me an excuse to play this symphonic masterpiece again. This is one of my all time favourite video game scores... hell, it's one of my all time favourite scores, period! I've played this score to death since its digital (and demo CD) release in 2007 and plan on playing it for the many years to come.

Really pay attention to the Kaska material, folks. Like most talented young symphonic composer these days he's been sadly over looked by Hollywood directors and producers. Hopefully one day Kaska gets his big break. He's too talent to be sitting on the sidelines. Maybe he should score a Spanish produced and/or directed film. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Fuck Hollywood. I'd rather he remain in video games. It would be nice to hear more from him though, regardless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I agree with fuck Hollywood as well but it would be great for another Hollywood blockbuster symphonic film score revival led by people like Kaska.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That is an awful website for someone so talented.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I have his harp concerto, which was released alongside Williams' trumpet concerto, if memory serves.

I also seem to remember he composed something for the Olympics in the US.

But film-wise, I don't know anything about him.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: John Barry - The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music (Silva)

My playlist, containing music from films not represented in my collection in any other way: 26 tracks.

Volker