• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormarkrayen
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2013 edited
    NP - Maximilen Mathevon, 'Un Vie Ailleurs'

The production value here is top notch. Percussively driven, energetic, fun, unpretentious, with some interesting orchestrational ideas in the percussion that give it a unique feel of its own. Great work!
  1. I just listened to the Silva Screen suite of Toto's DUNE. It's on one of the "Above and Beyond" albums.

Man is this a great recording!

Eight minutes of sheer awesomeness!

Suites like this really are an art of it's own.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013
    Hmm? Never heard the Silva Suite, I'll have to give it a listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. DURANGO - Mark McKenzie.

Multiple gorgeous themes, lush orchestration - pretty much everything I like in a film score album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    But it doesn't have as many themes as The Desolation of Smaug, so it sucks.

wink
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Having re-watched An Unexpected Journey yesterday (still a mediocre film but was much better on my second viewing) I have a better appreciation of Shore's score. It's still not great. Like the film, the score still drags and meanders. Lots of unnecessary filler. But when it's good it's really good. I really like the Misty Mountains theme... could have used more of a variation of it in the film, though. Seems like the same performance was being used over and over again for every heroic action. The other theme, which I think it as just as good as any of THE LORD OF THE RINGS themesn is the Erebor theme! SPECTACULAR! I wish there was a concert suite of just that theme!

Anyway, I'm now looking forward to giving the second film a viewing. Doubt I'll see it in the theatre so I'll wait for the Blu-Ray. I'm sure I'll have a better appreciation of the new score after hearing the score in context.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2013 edited
    oops! wrong thread shame
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not a fan of The Hobbit, but I thought the Gollum/Bilbo scene was brilliant. Props to Andy Serkis for another great performance, and to the visual effects team behind it all. A truly great use of CGI!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I'm not a fan of The Hobbit, but I thought the Gollum/Bilbo scene was brilliant. Props to Andy Serkis for another great performance, and to the visual effects team behind it all. A truly great use of CGI!

The scene could have used a trim... TOO MANY riddles... but it was very well acted!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yes, perhaps within the context of the film, but as it's the only part of the film I like to revisit, its length is not a problem for me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Well, it was better than watching that fat Goblin/Troll/Whatever sing another song. freezing

-Erik-
  3. Scribe wrote

wink

Those aren't themes. They're motifs. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    The other theme, which I think it as just as good as any of THE LORD OF THE RINGS themesn is the Erebor theme! SPECTACULAR! I wish there was a concert suite of just that theme!

Now that statement got my mind racing away... how wonderful it would be if Shore came up with an album of concert versions of all his main themes from LOTR and (when it's done) The Hobbit - I'm talking about the kind of arrangement Williams did of his Star Wars themes for those albums. What a spectacular album that would make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Prancer - Maurice Jarre

Hideous, unlistenable. Can't believe I spent money on this.
  4. Steven wrote

yeah

Compared to the rest of the film, that scene crackled. The length didn't bother me at all. I didn't want that scene to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The other theme, which I think it as just as good as any of THE LORD OF THE RINGS themesn is the Erebor theme! SPECTACULAR! I wish there was a concert suite of just that theme!

Now that statement got my mind racing away... how wonderful it would be if Shore came up with an album of concert versions of all his main themes from LOTR and (when it's done) The Hobbit - I'm talking about the kind of arrangement Williams did of his Star Wars themes for those albums. What a spectacular album that would make.

Addendum: but make it fit on one bloody CD, for Christ's sake.
  5. christopher wrote
    Scribe wrote

wink

Those aren't themes. They're motifs. tongue

I thought Motif was a YAMAHA workstation. tongue tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - Henry Mancini

The new Intrada album. It's often stated that Mancini made great albums that were poor representations of his film scores and that if only people listened to the film tracks they would see how good a dramatist he was, so much more than just the easy listening master. I'm not sure this album would support that claim. By the time you get to "Moon River (light instrumental arrangement 3,650)" even possibly the most attractive melody ever written for film is starting to wear rather thin.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Addendum: but make it fit on one bloody CD, for Christ's sake.

I agree! A lost art these days unfortunately.
  6. NP: The Desolation of Smaug (Shore) -- THAT 50 minute version

That's more like it. That's an album.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. NP: Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957) - Dimitri Tiomkin
    On LLL

Great release. This score is the direct forerunner of Morricone's Dollar scores. I love it.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2013 edited
    NP : DIE SPIONIN - Nic Raine

Probably known to most as the conductor of so many fine Silva Screen recordings but Nic Raine is one very fine composer, this is full bloodedly thematic and melodic. I'm really enjoying this score.

I'm listening to this on Spotify but I'm definitely buying the album. One of the scores of the year for me.
  8. And it could be a good film too.

http://www.daserste.de/unterhaltung/fil … n-100.html
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yes, it definitely looks like my kind of film.
  9. Timmer wrote

Probably known to most as the conductor of so many fine Silva Screen recordings but Nic Raine is one very fine composer, this is full bloodedly thematic and melodic. I'm really enjoying this score.

I'm listening to this on Spotify but I'm definitely buying the album. One of the scores of the year for me.

Could you expand a bit on the style it's written in? His previous score harkened at John Barry quite a lot and I wonder if he goes deeper into that style or tries to instill something different as well?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I would say he's still in that Barryesque sound. Check it out for yourself Pawel, the score is on Spotify.
  10. Will do.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Timmer wrote

Listening to this now and it is rather good.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  12. NP: Event Horizon (1997) - Michael Kamen / Orbital

Now, that score is quite a trip. Excelent!

Volker
  13. Just finished JOYEUX NOEL by Philippe Rombi.

This is a really lovely score. Not to mention very seasonally appropriate. There is not a better Christmas-themed score in my collection.

NP: LADIES IN LAVENDER - Nigel Hess.

I wish this man would score another film. And get Joshua Bell to play again. This score is so gorgeous, and Bell is just fantastic.