• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. That score is regarded as one of the peaks of leitmotif-based score for a melodrama. (As we know, leitmotif has tended to take firmer footing in the fantasy/sci-fi/male-wish-fulfilment genres.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. "Jesus" (Patrick Williams)

Could it be worth it for five dollars? The samples on his site sounded like it would be. So I got it as a Christmas treat to myself.

Mainly orchestral, strings, timapni, and some brass. Unfotunately, some synth once in a while that are kind of dated now (at the time, 1999, they weren't). It's certainly not the Pat Williams you know of TV scoring fame, like "The Streets of San Fransico".

It's plesant enough, if not inoffensive.

Nothing really sticks in your head and unless you hear the theme again & again, you just kind of forget it; it never gets a prominent perfomance and play in such a way as to strike you. I can see some people enjoying this, though.

Its seems often the cues have no structure and just move with onscreen action. I'm so used to hearing Goldsmith's cues that seem to begin, go someplace, then end like a story within itself, you know.

Certainly based upon this, he could be getting more assignments and higher profile serious scoring. At least the score doesn't suck balls. I know if I go to movie-wave and if the score is reviewed there, it won't say "no stars". In fact, let me bounce over there...
    Nope, not reviewed there (or here)

The song (Andrew Llyod Webber), with a main solo by Sarah Brightman, is very plesant and was actually nice to hear. I have no idea if they are singing in another language or if it's wordless choir. Damnit, I forgot the theme again.

There is no grand finale or big statement. Perhaps there was an end credits piece that was left off. Who knows.

The name tags on the CD don't always match the artwork. For example, when the track "Jesus Has Risen" plays, the CD identifies it as the song, three tracks previous.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. I never regard synth sounds as sounding dated. For example in The Black Hole I rejoyce in the sound of the classic Moog, and Miami Vice is unthinkable withouth the sound of the DX7.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2013
    NP : THE LION IN WINTER - John Barry

love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Well, some synth can sound dated, most especially when inserted where it doesn't work and sounds at odds.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013
    NP : KING KONG - John Barry

Fantastic score! JB really knocked this out of the ballpark and FSM's second release of the score with loads of unreleased material just elevates this into the upper echelons of John Barry's achievements. Best Kong score to the worst Kong film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Captain Future wrote
    I never regard synth sounds as sounding dated. For example in The Black Hole I rejoyce in the sound of the classic Moog, and Miami Vice is unthinkable withouth the sound of the DX7.

Volker

I tend to agree. Or rather, I can tell when a synth sounds dated but it usually doesn't bother me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2013
    JB's KING KONG also uses synthesiser though, as with the majority of Barry's use of it, very subtly.
  6. NP: Ender's Game - (2013) Steve Jablonsky

This won't make my top 50. It's good though. It really is.

Volker
  7. ^ Continue to enjoy that opinion in complete solitude, mon capitan. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013
    Police Academy - Robert Folk

Ah. Almost the Patton march. Over and over and over and over and over and over again for 45 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2013 edited
    NP: Ultraviolet - Klaus Badelt

I love some of the action cues in this ... and I love the movie or maybe Milla Jovovich
    has something to do with this ... biggrin
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  8. Joe Hisaishi - Spirited Away

Preparing for my third watching of the film tonight. It's a fantastic score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  9. Love that score and film! smile The latter is probably my pick of the Miyazaki films, which is saying something.
  10. NP: The Tempest (songs by Elliot Goldenthal)

Strangely enough, I've lost the score from my original itunes purchase. That's not so bad, as the songs are the heart of the album, dreamy things with Shakespearean lyrics drifting through gentle ambient beds. Thor must have gone for this, surely?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2013 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: The Tempest (songs by Elliot Goldenthal)

Strangely enough, I've lost the score from my original itunes purchase. That's not so bad, as the songs are the heart of the album, dreamy things with Shakespearean lyrics drifting through gentle ambient beds. Thor must have gone for this, surely?

Of course. I bought it immediately upon release. It's an acquired taste (or 'artsy-fartsy', as Timmer would say), but quite rewarding.

The greatest pleasure, however, was when Goldenthal himself -- after my first interview with him -- pulled a copy (whose jewel case had clearly been bumped and scratched) up from his bag and gave it to me back in 2010. I kept that one and sold the brand-new one! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  11. NP: The Beastmaster (1982) - Lee Holdridge
    On Quartet Records; original album content.

This is a wonderful, orchestral fantasy album. Romantic 80s scoring.

The great main theme is oft said to be a rip-off of the Phillips/Larson theme from Battlestar Galactica of 1978. Well that might have been the temp track, but Holdridge's theme is independent enough.

Volker
  12. NP: The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Howard Shore

This production was recorded live in Bavaria, Germany. It was co-produced by the Bavarian PBO channel Bayerischer Rundfunk. The qualitiy of performance, recording and mastering is top notch. The live character of the recording provides a nice alternative to the score albums.
    I once experianced this concertant version live in concert myself. Fond memories!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2013
    TinkerBell - Joel McNeely

Okay, I knew this would be a fine score, considering it's by McNeely, but the fact that I have not seen the film and it being ...well, TinkerBell, a "faerie" flick, I just couldn't bring myself to give it a proper go.
    Today I finally "manned up" and gave it a spin.
    Oh boy! Just amazing! Completely sumptuous musical tapestry that never lets up and filled with ever changing musical ideas without a single dull moment! Quite simply one of the very finest scores written in the past six years!
    McNeely never disappoints but this one just blows me away! Bravo Mr. McNeely!
  13. yeah punk beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Atham wrote

Today I finally "manned up" and gave it a spin.

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : 100 Rifles - Jerry Goldsmith

Classic Goldsmith with a ooh so catchy main theme .
    Some of the sounds used throughout reminded me of Planet of the Apes ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  14. NP: The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970) - Miklos Rozsa
    On Quartet Records.

When I read the booklet beforehand about how the original tapes got lost and the CD had to be mastered from secondary copies, my expectations concerning the sound were lowered. I must say though, that given the cirumstances, the sound is really very good. Well done team Quartet!
    For the audiophile experiance I still have the suite on Varese's Themes from 221b Baker Street.

Volker
  15. NP: Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992) - Wojciech Kilar

This is one masterpiece of a score.

Death and the Maiden I ordered today.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2013
    Captain Future wrote
    For the audiophile experiance I still have the suite on Varese's Themes from 221b Baker Street.

Volker

You should get Tadlow's stunning re-recording.
    http://www.tadlowmusic.com/2010/11/the- … ck-holmes/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  16. ^ Possibly some time in the future. Just now I don't want to buy the same score twice.

NP: A Passage to India (1985) - Maurice Jarre
    On Quartet Records.

This is pure Jarre: melodic and energetic. Not too much percussion this time. Great!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE SALAMANDER (Jerry Goldsmith)

I have known the title for many years, but never seen the film or heard the score. Well, it's great stuff. Love the "Requiem for a General", in particular. This is the recent rerecording, btw.
    I am extremely serious.
  17. NP: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) - John Williams
    On Concord Records.

I love this score and this presentation. The original album was far too short.
    The Grail theme is vintage Williams.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I love this score and this presentation. The original album was far too short.
    The Grail theme is vintage Williams.

I agree with the last sentence and the first part of the first sentence.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013
    I love the grail theme love

Hey, is there a Best scores of 2013 topic? I can't find it.
    I got a 15,- iTunes coupon and need to decide which one to get.
    wink