• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014 edited
    Erik Woods wrote

Out of his league? What league? confused

Trying to sound like Copland. Way out of his league and this is why it came out so bad, imo.

Erik Woods wrote

He doesn't... unless he's working on stuff that's forcing him to do this RC/MV sound that he is clearly not comfortable doing.

-Erik-

Well if he's forced to sound like that, then you're right.

But what if he himself actually tries to 'catch up' in hopes of staying 'modern' and therefore still working, by sounding like that? Same goes for JNH and Silvestri. Are they forced or do they choose the easy-simple-way out to get the paycheck and off to the next one? I mean that or them being forced to sound like that is probably a 50-50 chance of happening, i imagine?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. Well, look at their roots. Both JNH and Silvestri actually started with the 1980s electronica, at least to an extent (Silvestri even worked in the Harold Faltermeyer realm a bit, in terms of projects, Delta Force ain't no Forrest Gump). Did Doyle?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. NP:
    Batman Begins (2005)
    The Dark Knight (2008) - both by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Trying to decide which of both to put on my ipod. Maybe both, but then I will also add Elfman's Batman Returns for good balance.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  3. NP: Deep Blue Sea (1999) - Trevor Rabin

The film is no JAWS* but a solid action movie to pass an evening with. It's certainly one of the better shark films.
    (*Lots of references though.)

The score isn't earth shattering but a very solid contribution by Rabin. Whoever likes Armageddon won't go wrong with this one. Where has Rabin gone to?

Volker
  4. PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, look at their roots. Both JNH and Silvestri actually started with the 1980s electronica, at least to an extent (Silvestri even worked in the Harold Faltermeyer realm a bit, in terms of projects, Delta Force ain't no Forrest Gump). Did Doyle?

Silvestri started in the '70's with song arranging, then moved on to two TV series, one with a beat, another another disco paradise.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well, look at their roots. Both JNH and Silvestri actually started with the 1980s electronica, at least to an extent (Silvestri even worked in the Harold Faltermeyer realm a bit, in terms of projects, Delta Force ain't no Forrest Gump). Did Doyle?

freezing

I remember all that. Back then Silvestri was a name that meant zilch and JNH was even lesser, they were both Z-list composers.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : IMPRESSIONS OF AMERICA - Patrick Doyle

I know this should be on the other ( and far more interesting ) Off Topic NP thread but for this exception since it was being discussed here...

Demetris wrote

Impressions of America is supposed to convince me otherwise? I found it awful, childish and out of his league.

There's not many Copland-ish moments here. It's fine to have your own opinion that it's awful D but I don't understand your added scorn? It's neither childish ( childish? eh!???? confused ) nor out of his league.

I think it's a lovely album and a very pleasurable listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Timmer wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

freezing

I remember all that. Back then Silvestri was a name that meant zilch and JNH was even lesser, they were both Z-list composers.

I mentioned it, because in case of Silvestri, JNH and actually Zimmer, the more electronic scores recently COULD be interpreted as a sort of "return to roots" movement. Not in case of Doyle. In other words, JNH and Silvestri do not necessarily "listen to producers" and an ambient score/electronic action score could be very much an artistic choice on their side. Doyle never really went into electronica to that extent before.

It's actually interesting in terms of how lambasted that score was, because JNH is seemingly (stated that many times) very proud of Bourne Legacy and how he handled electronics there.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I know this should be on the other ( and far more interesting ) Off Topic NP thread but for this exception since it was being discussed here...

Demetris wrote

Impressions of America is supposed to convince me otherwise? I found it awful, childish and out of his league.

There's not many Copland-ish moments here. It's fine to have your own opinion that it's awful D but I don't understand your added scorn? It's neither childish ( childish? eh!???? confused ) nor out of his league.

I wouldn't use the word 'awful' to describe it. However, it does MEANDER on with endless chord-stop effects (enter sustained chord, hold it, crescendo it, dimminendo it, repeat) that Doyle is so fond of. Considering the subject matter and the composer, I had expected a LOT more.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's an okay album with impeccable sound quality, but I agree with Thor, I expected more. More melody, mostly.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  6. Southall wrote
    Why would I want to listen to Henry Jackman?

Because Gulliver's Travels, Puss in Boots and Wreck-it Ralph are all excellent scores! biggrin

Captain Future wrote
    In my books Thor isn't a bummer. But of course I like Ender's Game and Man of Steel ...

I like Thor. I do not like Man of Steel or Ender's Game. That is all.

This may be my least productive post ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Out of his league? What league? confused

Trying to sound like Copland. Way out of his league and this is why it came out so bad, imo.

This is not Doyle trying to sound like Copland. We've been over this before at the IFMCA message board, D.

Doyle distinct sound is all over this piece. It's Doyle's musical interpretation of what the sound of America is to him from his own travels to the country and stories told to him by visiting relatives. Doyle takes the listener on a journey from the joys of eating pumpkin pie to the grandeur of the Grand Canyon. The score ranges from gentle simplicity to epic symphonic sweep and everything in between. Not everything has to be complex with thousands of notes. Sometimes just a few notes can say a lot!

You call the pieces childish. Well, he did made the piece "playable" as it was initially written for and premiered for a children's/student orchestra. However, it still has some rather difficult parts that can challenge the great symphony orchestras of the world.

One track that I was REALLY curious about was "Pumpkin Pie." Doyle recalled that he had "never had a cinnamon-based pie before and I’ll never forget the first time I smelt that in New York, it was wonderful." I can tell by listening to the track (and experiencing the deliciousness of Pumpkin Pie first hand) that his first experience was nothing but delightful, joyous, and memorable. Almost childlike in his appreciation of the dessert.

This is how Doyle sees and hears America. I get it and he paints a clear musical picture of those impressions. It's just lovely, easy listening programme music.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

Because Gulliver's Travels, Puss in Boots and Wreck-it Ralph are all excellent scores! biggrin

I should always add a footnote when talking about Henry Jackman*.

*Scores for animations good, other scores not (no exceptions)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Baczynski - Bartosz Chajdecki

Superb.
  7. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

That does seem to be the general tendency with him, although I have enjoyed parts of X-Men: First Class, the Kick-Ass scores and even Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (one or two decent action cues in that one, I thoght). Also, Gulliver's Travels wasn't animation...easy to forget, I know. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't really remember Gulliver's Travels, but I don't think I particularly liked it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP: Ip Man 2 - Kenji Kawai

For me a grand score ...
    Action cues mixed with subtle and beautiful themes ...
    For some this may sound generic , but I love it ... smile
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote

You've heard his score to THIS IS THE END, right? One of my 2013 honourable mentions.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Stop mentioning how good that score is; it's completely impossible to find. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    You'll hate it, Edmund. Horror music galore!

-Erik-
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    You'll hate it, Edmund. Horror music galore!

applause

But is it stingers or is it actual listenable horror music?
  10. NP: Sphere (1998) - Elliot Goldenthal

The score is by far the best about this mercifully forgotten film.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Oh my, Volker. I think the film is fantastic!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Sphere (1998) - Elliot Goldenthal

The score is by far the best about this mercifully forgotten film.

Volker

Saw it once but I can honestly say I can't remember any of it? Still, I can remember the score no problem, it's bloody excellent!

As is my next play...

NP : HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER II - Christopher Young

One of the greatest horror scores ever! ( even if it does contain a big nod towards Goldsmith's 'Rebirth' from POLTERGEIST )
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Oh my, Volker. I think the film is fantastic!

-Erik-

I found the conclusion utterly rediculous. I admit that I saw the film a long time ago. Maybe I should revisit it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Demetris wrote

I wouldn't use the word 'awful' to describe it. However, it does MEANDER on with endless chord-stop effects (enter sustained chord, hold it, crescendo it, dimminendo it, repeat) that Doyle is so fond of. Considering the subject matter and the composer, I had expected a LOT more.

It's draft, the compositional levels are all kept at very basic, others have done this style way more inspired and complex; sounds like a first year composition college student's work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Stop mentioning how good that score is; it's completely impossible to find. crazy

Very good score indeed, a surprise!
  12. NP: Vendredit Soir (Tindersticks)

Thor, you'd have to buy this track-by-track off iTunes (it's out of the Claire Denis boxset by Tindersticks), but I'd listen to the samples. A blend of melodic sweetness and ambience that works quite well. The rhapsodic final of 'Sunrise' feels earned.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Stop mentioning how good that score is; it's completely impossible to find. crazy

Very good score indeed, a surprise!

Y'all are mean. sad

Also, Jackman's Winnie the Pooh contains about 5 minutes worth of the most beautiful music I've ever heard, in between a lot of meandering mickey-mousing. Inspiration...that ought to be my next suite! I made one of Balfe's Girl Rising last month, and it's fabulous to have such a smoothly connected collection of scorgasmic highlights in one track. I'm getting really good at suites.

If anyone has a score that mixes highlights you adore with really annoying sections that discourage you from listening, feel free to ask me to make a suite. Only open to actual MT members :P
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  13. I'd like to hear these suites, are you posting any of them when you finish them?