• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Well, she is always credited as a composer, whether she works with Hans Zimmer or Klaus Schulze, or in this case with Klimek and Heil. I have no reason to doubt that.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Sometimes iTunes doesn't recognize these things correctly, though. For example, when I imported the regular one-CD albums of the Lord of the Rings scores from the CDs, way back when, it would list Renee Fleming, Isabel Bayrakdarian or even Fran Walsh/Philippa Boyens as artists alongside Howard Shore. This could have been a situation like that, and I just wanted to be sure. smile
  3. You might say she composes her own part. Her collaborators don't always know what they're going to get when she sits in front of the mic. Much like jazz albums where significant elements are 'composed' by performers in performance (rather than the usual composer-as-Moses-receiving-stone-tablets model), the credit is appropriate, but as a result Gerard probably wouldn't be regarded as a 'proper composer' by many here in her contributions to the scores of others.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2014 edited
    I have an idea what we'll get when she sits in front of the mic.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Yes! (and I suspect everyone else does too)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. ooooOOOOOooooo aaaaaAAAAAhhhHHHH ooooooooo! <--- Lisa Gerrard impressions
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2014
    Jon Broxton wrote
    ooooOOOOOooooo aaaaaAAAAAhhhHHHH ooooooooo! <--- Lisa Gerrard impressions

That just about sums it up! Can't stand that woman.

The Salamander - Jerry Goldsmith

Hard to believe there was yet another score of this quality in his back catalogue that so few had heard for the last 30 years. First class from beginning to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Jon Broxton wrote

biggrin
  6. I'm always surprised to encounter the occasional hate for Lisa Gerrard. She's a bit of a one-trick pony, yes, but I don't think there's anything unpleasant about her vocals or anything...
  7. I find those cues of Gladiator that she was inwolved in the most interesting by far.

Also her work with Klaus Schulze where she improvises over a minimalistic electronic sound design is quite impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u65bjtwU9xc
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Jon Broxton wrote

biggrin

She seems a wee bit pretentious too. rolleyes

Compare that to the eminently likeable and down to earth Desplat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm always surprised to encounter the occasional hate for Lisa Gerrard. She's a bit of a one-trick pony, yes, but I don't think there's anything unpleasant about her vocals or anything...

Me neither. I love her work. She's a fine composer in her own right too. Just listen to WHALERIDER -- a great score which she did all on her own!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

She seems a wee bit pretentious too. rolleyes

...only a wee bit, she comes across as likeable and humorous too.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'm always surprised to encounter the occasional hate for Lisa Gerrard. She's a bit of a one-trick pony, yes, but I don't think there's anything unpleasant about her vocals or anything...

Me neither. I love her work. She's a fine composer in her own right too. Just listen to WHALERIDER -- a great score which she did all on her own!

Yeap, i love that one; it was the only good score she ever did on her own.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SPITFIRE GRILL - James Horner

Really lovely, a gorgeous score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Assassin's Creed IV - Olivier Deriviere

This is, how you say, good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Assassin's Creed IV - Olivier Deriviere

This is, how you say, good.

It's awesome! smile There's a bright future ahead of Deriviere i am sure, he's writing for vocals and orchestra but also the musicianship and freshness of the combinations he makes and his arrangements, are not of the kind you hear every day.
  8. NP: Der Medicus / The Physician (2014) - Ingo Ludwig Frenzel

Not earth shattering, but nice, really nice. A fully orchestral (Film Orchester Babelsberg) thematic score with occasional oriental mannerisms.

Volker
  9. STANDING UP - Brian Tyler

Tyler seems to have become Hollywood's non-RC action composer of choice, but I really love it when he scores dramas. This, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED, and PARTITION are just really good. That's the type of music I enjoy most from Tyler.
  10. The Best Years of our Lives - Hugo Friedhofer
    The London Phiharmonic Orchestra; Franco Collura

I'm not sure about the CD I have here. The lable is "Membrane", based in Germany. The CD was manufactured in Greece. No information about the sources used or the original rights holders are given.
    These Membrane CDs are all over the place here in Germany, so they are not illiegal here. It feels a bit fishy anyhow.

Great score btw. !

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Der Medicus / The Physician (2014) - Ingo Ludwig Frenzel

Not earth shattering, but nice, really nice. A fully orchestral (Film Orchester Babelsberg) thematic score with occasional oriental mannerisms.

Volker

It's lovely ain't it? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    christopher wrote
    STANDING UP - Brian Tyler

Tyler seems to have become Hollywood's non-RC action composer of choice, but I really love it when he scores dramas. This, THE GREATEST GAME EVER PLAYED, and PARTITION are just really good. That's the type of music I enjoy most from Tyler.

Yeap, loved it too, very melodic and sentimental, although repetitive.
  11. Demetris, do you have any idea, why is he channeling Thomas Newman so much? I mean, OK, Standing Up is fairly understandable, the bits in Lazarus Project are as well... but what the hell is American Beauty doing in Final Destination 5?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, do you have any idea, why is he channeling Thomas Newman so much? I mean, OK, Standing Up is fairly understandable, the bits in Lazarus Project are as well... but what the hell is American Beauty doing in Final Destination 5?

Tyler's temptrackistis isn't anything new.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    NP : John Barry - The Collection - 40 Years of Film Music - Nic Raine

Some very fine interpretations of the Barry material ...
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
  12. NP: The Year of Living Dangerously (1982) - Maurice Jarre

Music from the score is to be found on the score CD of Dead Poets Society.

I never payed any attention to this score, neither did I ever see the film.
    The music is broody and quite atmospheric. It's actually a good companion to DPS.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The film is good Captain, worth a watch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under Fire - Jerry Goldsmith

This one gets a TEN FROM LEN and an ELEVEN FROM ME for a total score of 21/20.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014 edited
    NP: Sherlock (Series 3) - David Arnold & Michael Price

I suppose that this was never going to be as good as I'd hoped because of the expectation I had for a great album. But this first listen is turning out to be a mirror of my disappointment with the actual shows.

It starts off quite good but after a couple of tracks I was beginning to get a bit frustrated by the balance between orchestra and electronics: to much of the latter and not enough of the former. I find the quirky sonic embellishments to be annoying. And there seems to be - on occasion - a veering off into Murray Gold/Doctor Who territory with the dramatic strings/brass combo.

I'm about halfway through and it needs to pick up significantly for me to end up having had a positive first listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. NP Skyfall (2012) - Thomas Newman / Paul Epworth / Adele

Song and score won the Grammy tonight and deservedly so. I don't really understand the Grammy modalities and man, do they have a plathora of categories. Does anyone go home without a trophy?

Volker