• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Hybrid Soldier? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014 edited
    I felt a bit sorry for Jackman when I thought that he had somehow felt obliged to write this garbage which is so obviously beneath him and makes him look like such a hack because that's what the filmmakers asked him to do. If you're saying it was actually his choice to churn this Bourne/Dark Knight/Man of Steel generic crap out then feeling a bit sorry for him suddenly becomes something else.
  2. Yes. biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The thing about Jackman I was told by a guy who talks to everybody in RCP.

?
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. There's a guy on hans-zimmer.com who talks to most of composers there and regularly checks out the cue sheets to precisely credit cues on every RCP soundtrack possible.

He goes beyond that, I shouldn't probably mention it here, but he's got stuff that's downright illegal...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I still don't understand where you are going with this.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    In this case, if that is true, it could be assumed that Jackman, of whom I have heard that, while he is very proficient in orchestral writing, he prefers to actually write electronica whenever he can, that doing the score the way he did it, was his own decision and whatever was demanded of him, he did without trepidation.

Yes, it was Zimmer himself who said that.

Jackman is a fascinating fellow to me -- he has a background in, and is capable of composing very traditional orchestral music, but has leaned more towards house and other electronica genres.

Granted, the only Jackman I currently have is PUSS IN BOOTS (which is excellent, btw!), but I'm eager to explore more, if only because of the capabilities described by Zimmer.

Of course, I'm definitely going to check out what all this fuss is about re: CAPTAIN AMERICA. Maybe it's another PAIN & GAIN, which I absolutely adored and found to be one of the best scores of 2013, but which everyone else and their grandmother hated.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    I still don't understand where you are going with this.

-Erik-

That RCP people told a guy who told me that he loves doing electronica.

Then again, maybe we do overrate Hybrid Soldier indeed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor, you will absolutely love it. I have never been more certain of anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote

I can only speak personally, but I don't believe I am guilty of doing that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Star Trek: First Contact Jerry & Joel

Just awful. Didn't Jerry and Joel realise this was a dark film about cybernetic alien creatures? Where's the low, uninteresting growling? The repetitive string ostinati? The harsh electronics? And why are there themes!? Why would you make something memorable, when clearly the film needed something generic?

Not that I'm bitter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    'Dark' and 'Star Trek' are two mutually exclusive terms.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Umm... First Contact actually has almost horror moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    'Dark' and 'Star Trek' are two mutually exclusive terms.

If this film was made today, you can just imagine the excuses composers would come up with to justify giving it an unmemorable score.

"I wanted to do something really different for this film, and just go ahead with this idea I had. Score it as though I didn't give a shit about good film music. It's going to sound like nothing you've heard before!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As Mark Twain said, there are only three certainties in life - death, taxes, and that any film score whose composer describes it as being unbelievably bold and daring and like nothing you've ever heard before will actually sound completely soulless, generic and be generally crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I hate STAR TREK.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I remember the name but not from which message board? Certainly not overrated or even barely remembered by me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    As Mark Twain said, there are only three certainties in life - death, taxes, and that any film score whose composer describes it as being unbelievably bold and daring and like nothing you've ever heard before will actually sound completely soulless, generic and be generally crap.

Didn't Oscar Wilde also say something about film composers to the effect of the unmentionable in defence of the undefendable? Or something like that.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I ate STAR TREK.

My goodness!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    I hate STAR TREK.

That's nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    I hate STAR TREK.

Christ on a bike.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote

Didn't Oscar Wilde also say something about film composers to the effect of the unmentionable in defence of the undefendable? Or something like that.

I think it may have been Whistler.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I remember the name but not from which message board? Certainly not overrated or even barely remembered by me.

He's brave - a Zimmer and RCP fanboy writing on FSM.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2014 edited
    FSM is hardly devoid of Zimmer fans. And like here there are plenty of reasonable people. I would say the silly and pointless hater trolls are in a minority if anything.

p.s. anybody can be a "brave" message board warrior. I'll consider him a tiny bit "braver" when he posts under his real name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Silvestri would have probably regergitated Red 2, which is probably one of the worst scores of his career.

This shitty effort is clearly on the director and producers of the film. I can't believe that this film was an enjoyable experience for Jackman.

Lowest common denominator music was asked for and that's what we got.

-Erik-

Yeah, Red 2 was utterly horrible.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    What a way to advertise a score... of course I HAD to listen to Henry Jackman's "Winter Soldier" when I read all the comments here. Listened last night, and continuing this morning!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    http://www.tasteofcinema.com/2014/the-2 … ma-history what do you think? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think we should ask Robert Folk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    So do I. Glad to see John Barry is alive and well, though. Clearly a very well-informed person who came up with that list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

OSCAR ARAUJO - Castlevania: lord of shadows 2

Awesome, massive, grand. Love Oscar's style. The choral and orchestral nature of this score surely puts it amongst 2014's bests so far and he also shows how you can write in a modern style without imitating RC.