• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Didn't he say 'no' to a few jobs so he could focus on his opera? Once you're out of the loop, it takes a nostalgic former collaborator to pull you back in.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  2. Maybe he's tired of it. That's always a possibility.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2014
    Copperhead - Laurent Eyquem

Gets a little monotonous in the second half but an incredibly moving and beautifully crafted score.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Dirty Harry - Lalo Schifrin

I love the eerie dissonance in this classic score. A template for the next couple of scores as well as Fielding's contribution.
  3. NP: Space Pirate Captain Herlock: The Endless Odyssey (2002) - Takayuki Hattori

I love this.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Brian Tyler - Eagle Eye

Still my favorite from his output, alongside Children Dune, Frailty and Iron Man 3.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    David OC wrote
    Copperhead - Laurent Eyquem

Gets a little monotonous in the second half but an incredibly moving and beautifully crafted score.

I don't understand the praise that was heaped on this one at all.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: Prisoners (Johann Johannson)

Can't believe I haven't noticed this until now... Arvo Part's Fratres. Of course.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Prisoners (Johann Johannson)

Can't believe I haven't noticed this until now... Arvo Part's Fratres. Of course.

I also recently noticed it in Harvey Two Face theme by JNH. It's quite vague in that piece but it isn't an accident, we all know JNH is well aware of Part's music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. NP: Il Cuore Nel Pozzo - Ennio Morricone

Sublime and beautiful cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Unknown Known - Danny Elfman

I really like what Elfman's done on this score, though I'm not sure how well it fits with the subject matter of this documentary. The score veers almost into Elfman's fantasy scoring, which seems at odds with 9/11 and the "War On Terror".

For those in the UK, I think that the film is on Sky Atlantic next week.

It plays perfectly to the film, although it's pretty much the same approach Morris has been having for years -- the Glass minimalism. He's basically just traded Glass for Elfman, and asked the latter to emulate his former collaborator.

Still, it's BY FAR my favourite score of the year so far. I'm so happy when one of my top favourite composers delivers like this and cements WHY I'm such a big fan of his in the first place.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : EVENT HORIZON - Michael Kamen & Orbital

Probably not to everyone's taste but I like it a lot.

I obviously like it (esp. because of the Orbital connection -- I have 90% of their albums), but I also think it's one of the most underrated films of the 90s and Anderson's best film to date.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Didn't he say 'no' to a few jobs so he could focus on his opera? Once you're out of the loop, it takes a nostalgic former collaborator to pull you back in.

Yeah, it's basically the GRENDEL/Goldenthal story (although in his case, he also had a severe head injury to recuperate from too). It took former companions like Taymour and Mann to pull him back in all those years later. And he's still not fully back, film music-wise.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: ARBITRAGE (Cliff Martinez)

I wasn't totally taken by this at first, but it's starting to grow on me. I'm finding some structure in the tracks. Martinez usually can't go wrong, no matter what he does.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    Oh my God! We've changed threads since the last time I wrote! Well... I can't say I didn't expect it.
    Today is the the first day I study for my finals on the 25th so I think I'll have a "Lord of the Rings"making of day with "The Hobbit" included. So,
    NP :The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey~ Howard Shore
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014 edited
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

love
  7. NP: Ghost in the Shell (1995) - Kenji Kawai

Brilliant! A wonderful companion to Shoji Yamashiro's Akira of 1988. I love both scores.

Volker
  8. NP: Game of Thrones, Season 3 (2013) - Ramin Djawadi

This keeps getting better with every outing.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    NP : BEYOND RANGOON - Hans Zimmer

love

#1 Zimmer score.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Emma - Rachel Portman

Very nice score and certainly one of her elegant best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Game of Thrones, Season 3 (2013) - Ramin Djawadi

This keeps getting better with every outing.

Volker

I second that!
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  9. I think Season 4 unfortunately doesn't continue that trend. slant
  10. WP: Africa - Sarah Class
    NP: Hidden Kingdoms - Ben Foster

These two just arrived in the mail today. Perfect for an evening play beer
  11. NP: Night Crossing (1982) - Jerry Goldsmith

Many decades ago I saw this film. I can't remember anything about it. The film is virtually unknown in Germany, curiously.

Anyway, the score sounds great on this new Intrada release.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : HARRY POTTER AND THE PHILOSOPHERS STONE - John Williams

It's been far too long since I listened to this.
  12. NIGHT CROSSIG gives a fairly good impression what a Goldsmith score for ST II WOK would have been like.

V.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NIGHT CROSSIG gives a fairly good impression what a Goldsmith score for ST II WOK would have been like.

V.

I was sourly disappointed that JG wasn't confirmed to score it at the time. In retrospect I'm so glad he didn't and it went to Horner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014 edited
    Prometheus

THIS FILM MAKES NO SENSE BUT IT'S SO GODDAMN PRETTY. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Oh, wrong thread. Fuck it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Prometheus

THIS FILM MAKES NO SENSE BUT IT'S SO GODDAMN PRETTY. crazy

First watch?