• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. WP:
    Tepepa
    La Tenda Rossa
    Questa Specie D'Amore

Today appears to be Ennio Morricone day for me wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2014
    I really enjoy La Tenda Rossa ( aka THE RED TENT ), I'm not familiar with the other two.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Southall wrote
    I really enjoyed "Walking the Amazon" by Ed Stafford and suspect you would too (I guess you're familiar with the expedition?)

Nope! Not familiar with the story but sounds like my kind of thing. I'll look into it.

He walked the Amazon (as the name suggests, d'oh!) from start to finish. Took him two and a half years. Fascinating account, his determination to succeed coming at the expense of various friendships along the way.

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods which I expect you've already read? Great book. I love being entertained with many LOL moments and learning things at the same time.

I have read it and absolutely loved it, quite hilariously funny.
  2. I did get them based on your recommendations. (So thank you, Mr.Southall smile )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Under the Volcano - Alex North

A classic as far as I'm concerned, one of his very, very best.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Under the Volcano - Alex North

A classic as far as I'm concerned, one of his very, very best.

It's good to see some Alex North being played. I truly love North's music but I also really have to be in the mood for him too. Save for a tiny few of us Alex North's music isn't popular at this board.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : ANGELS & DEMONS - Hans Zimmer

Not as good as Da Vinci but it has some great moments, Science and Religion is a fans favourite and it's my favourite track too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Hidden Moon - Luis Bacalov

Absolutely charming new score from Bacalov, who must be about 200 years old at a guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Timmer wrote

Not as good as Da Vinci but it has some great moments, Science and Religion is a fans favourite and it's my favourite track too.

Five years ago I remember us having a conversation about it Tim and I was telling you that I listen to the specific cue which I love all the time because I felt I have to rely on both for thing to get well. Ironically enough I'm at the same point again for the same reason. It was summer back then too. Life is funny this way. Anyway, I think the best way to go around the fact that Angels and Demons is not as good as the DaVince Code is a very nice selection from both of them.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014
    I can't argue with that. cool beer
  3. NP: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper)

While it's not quite on the level of Desplat's 7.1 score (and light years away from Azkaban), this one is possibly more fun (than Desplat's), and I don't mind that Patrick Doyle's shrill brass did not sound in another Potter sequence again (as lovely as Doyle's thematic material is). 'Room of Requirements' is a lovely montage cue that could have been written by Williams.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    The Manchurian Candidate - Rachel Portman

Absolutely love the dark, ominous tones of this score, especially in the brilliant 'Deep Implant Behaviour Modification'. And it's like nothing else she's ever written.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Bobby Jones - James Horner

Solid if unspectacular drama score. A couple of really nice new themes amidst the odd Celtic flavoured noodling. But I must say on those 3 or 4 occasions when he drops that Braveheart theme in there, verbatim, it's a little distracting! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Hidden Moon - Luis Bacalov

Absolutely charming new score from Bacalov, who must be about 200 years old at a guess.

Does this man ever release anything that's not charming? I love his music smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    David OC wrote

Absolutely love the dark, ominous tones of this score, especially in the brilliant 'Deep Implant Behaviour Modification'. And it's like nothing else she's ever written.

Love it love it too; shame she didn't put out any other such score other than HUMAN STAIN (have you heard it? if not, do it asap; lovely theme, albeit repetitive (as all Rachel Portman scores anyway wink)

David OC wrote
    Bobby Jones - James Horner

Solid if unspectacular drama score. A couple of really nice new themes amidst the odd Celtic flavoured noodling. But I must say on those 3 or 4 occasions when he drops that Braveheart theme in there, verbatim, it's a little distracting! rolleyes

Whre is he btw?

Stavroula wrote
    Timmer wrote

Five years ago I remember us having a conversation about it Tim and I was telling you that I listen to the specific cue which I love all the time because I felt I have to rely on both for thing to get well. Ironically enough I'm at the same point again for the same reason. It was summer back then too. Life is funny this way. Anyway, I think the best way to go around the fact that Angels and Demons is not as good as the DaVince Code is a very nice selection from both of them.

Love those two scores. Might be derirative Zimmer but hugely enjoyable. Miss the old Zimmer to tell you the truth ; the one who ended with Dark Knight Rises. When he did his thing, his own style, unmistakable, grand, and larger than life, with all the positives and negatives. Now with all the douches he's hanging out with, listen to the results...some good stuff here and there, 1-2 amazing cues, the rest unbearable and unlistenable, every new score is a big mystery, how it'll sound. Although this has at least its interest, results are mostly disappointing so far. Hope he finds himself soon in the future.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    I haven't heard The Human Stain in ages mate! Will have to blow the dust off it and pull it out.

Her scores are generally repetitive to a large extent but her themes are so magnificent most of the time. Her gift for melody is a very rare one.

Just listening to the recent Bel Ami score and that opening cue of hers is an absolute stunner!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Wait 'till you hear BELLE, one of the best scores of 2014, imo. Look it up! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    JAMES HORNER - Black Gold

My, my, you must be a nutter not to like this gem...bold, generic yeah but who cares? grand leitmotif, class and elegance everywhere. Absolutely love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Says the man who doesn't like Andes to Amazon tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014 edited
    It's Hooper man....Whooper...

Followed up by JAMES HORNER - For Greater Glory: The True Story Of Cristiada. I remember this to be more upbeat and well, more interesting. Its largest part is slow underscore. Hm..
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not really a fan of Hooper, but I do love that score cool
  4. Demetris wrote

Followed up by JAMES HORNER - For Greater Glory: The True Story Of Cristiada. I remember this to be more upbeat and well, more interesting. Its largest part is slow underscore. Hm..

I think For Greater Glory is much more engaging than Black Gold...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Says the man who doesn't like Andes to Amazon tongue

Andes To Amazon is excellent! His Potter score is quite enjoyable, I like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

Both are... Meh!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. David OC wrote

If anything, it's like dark orchestral meditation on the harmonica motif from ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. Great score, I agree. (Really fine film too.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

I like both (obviously) but Black Gold is my favourite of the two (in fact only marginally behind Avatar as my favourite of his this century). "Horizon to Horizon" is one of the first things I'd put on a Horner compilation. For Greater Glory loses points only for the self-copying.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Solar Crisis - Maurice Jarre

Absolute shite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    I like both (obviously) but Black Gold is my favourite of the two (in fact only marginally behind Avatar as my favourite of his this century).

That's bananas.