• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014
    franz_conrad wrote
    Snake eyes is a beauty, agreed on that.

Demetris, I mostly liked how I live now. Quite a strong central character journey there, and the score made an impression on me too. smile

Scribe wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Scribe, there's room for both of you in the world. You can both be right, and each of you can fill the world with work that's worthy, whatever aesthetic constraints are applied. He doesn't have to emotionally-underdeveloped to have those views any more than you would be for writing that post.

NP: How I Live Now (Jon Hopkins)

Except that one of us' breed is currently dominating the world and pretty well succeeding in ridding it of the art I love. If it was a 50/50 split I would be perfectly happy, but when it's like 90/10 (and rapidly worsening) in favor of scores that are emotionally underdeveloped wallpaper, there's something for me to be legitimately upset about.

Yes, I see what you mean. This Dutch editor must be emotionally underdeveloped.

Michael, did you watch WE ARE WHAT WE ARE? Very eager for your review, film and score wise! :cheers:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    I barely noticed the music before this season. I wonder what prompted the change. Very unusual direction to go, but it works very well in the show, even if it would irritate Martijn's friend because it has such personality.

What prompted the change? well i watch the show with my wife, she's a huge fan, it's evident, the show itself. The turn of events [spoiler]well after the murder of Will Gardner. [/spoiler] and the events prior to that event; there was a lot of stress and tension even before[spoiler] Will's Murder[/spoiler], 'cause she left the previous firm and opened her own company, a lot of personal and business conflicts. Buckley's score very clever and spot-on in this season, the music driving the tense events, whilst in the previous seasons it was all smooth and calm underscore, the music didn't have a significant role (i.e. mostly snoozefest). Buckley's a very talented composer; remember THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Godzilla Alexandre Desplat

It takes no hesitation to call this my favourite Desplat score. Even with Powell's wonderful, brilliant and magnificent score to the imaginatively titled How To Train Your Dragon 2, this remains my favourite of the year so far....but only just.

It is right-spot-on, grand and leitmotific. Old-school, proper action scoring which kicks-ass. Desplat is one of the finest composers, one of the modern Grands if you will. Williams of our generation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Couldn't agree more with you here. Excellent style and own musical identity which is not frequently met these days; and he combines the old ambient / minimalism elements with his own signature, creating something modern and new.

Have you also checked out Johann Johannson's Prisoners and McCannick? I think the same applies to this composer as well.

Yes, I have! I like both of those scores (PRISONERS more than MCCANNICK...it was one of my top 10 favourite scores of last year). Glad to see we agree on something. We've disagreed a lot this year. smile

Awesome! Great composers, very fresh new voices, love them.,
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Couldn't agree more with you here. Excellent style and own musical identity which is not frequently met these days; and he combines the old ambient / minimalism elements with his own signature, creating something modern and new.

Have you also checked out Johann Johannson's Prisoners and McCannick? I think the same applies to this composer as well.

Yes, I have! I like both of those scores (PRISONERS more than MCCANNICK...it was one of my top 10 favourite scores of last year). Glad to see we agree on something. We've disagreed a lot this year. smile

Oh and McCannick is this year i think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    Demetris wrote
    David OC wrote
    September Dawn - William Ross

What a brilliant score! Begins with a first-rate main titles piece but then continues with fresh ideas and clever variations in nearly every cue. This one's a real revelation - been buried way too long in my stacks.

Absolutely mesmerizing. Loving it, do you think any other Ross score to date, reaches this quality?

Not that I've heard mate. I only have about half a dozen of his scores but this is easily the best of the them. What can you recommend?

Only Ladder 49

Haven't heard to many Ross scores, huh guys?

The Amazing Panda Adventure is a sweeping adventurte score.
    My Dog Skip is an emotional tear jerker. One his best.
    My Fellow Americans is a first rate comedy score with a dynamite action cue - "Horse Chase" - that is one of my most played tracks... acorrding to iTunes.
    T-Rex: Back to the Cretaceous is superb. It's a massive score
    The Tale of Despereaux is full of swashbuckling goodness
    Tin Cup is one of my all time favourite sports scores.
    and of course we have this years 50 to 1, which is a good old fashion heart string puller.

-Erik-

My Dog Skip, too indeed. We were talking down-right mesmerizing and sentimental stuff, to the melancholic side; indeed most of the many other scores you mentioned are top too, but different genres and with not so much an emotional impact as the three scores mentioned before, imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Deep in the Darkness - Matthew Llewellyn

This is good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Thor wrote
    Demetris wrote

Oh and McCannick is this year i think?

Yes. I was talking about PRISONERS. One of my top 10 favourites last year. We'll see how MCCANNICK can hold up once the year is over. I wasn't quite as taken by that, although it's good.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

It takes no hesitation to call this my favourite Desplat score. Even with Powell's wonderful, brilliant and magnificent score to the imaginatively titled How To Train Your Dragon 2, this remains my favourite of the year so far....but only just.

It is right-spot-on, grand and leitmotific. Old-school, proper action scoring which kicks-ass. Desplat is one of the finest composers, one of the modern Grands if you will. Williams of our generation.

I think he will need to do a few more scores like this before I call him Maestro.
  2. Southall wrote

This is good!

Did you get an email from Top Dollar too? wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2014
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

This is good!

Did you get an email from Top Dollar too? wink

You bet your bottom dollar he did.

I have no idea what you guys are talking about
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote

I think he will need to do a few more scores like this before I call him Maestro.

I have to agree. He's a fine composer, but he's not Williams. He's the Desplat of our generation.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. I've gone and made a schoolboy error - started listening to a few of my favourite TV themes before calling it a night. Now I can't stop listening to them!

Callan (Trombey)...Dr. Who (Grainer & Gold)...Hawaii Five-O (Stevens)...Merlin (Lane)...Star Trek: Amok Time (Fried)...
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've gone and made a schoolboy error - started listening to a few of my favourite TV themes before calling it a night. Now I can't stop listening to them!

Callan (Trombey)...Dr. Who (Grainer & Gold)...Hawaii Five-O (Stevens)...Merlin (Lane)...Star Trek: Amok Time (Fried)...

Good man! punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. It's a great way to relive my childhood! 400+ TV themes, 13 hours of memories! Though, I didn't manage to hear them all last night.
  5. Demetris wrote
    Williams of our generation.

rolleyes
  6. Speaking of Williams,

WP: The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn - John Williams
    --> Really love the cue 'Sir Francis and the Unicorn' punk

NP: A Time of Destiny - Ennio Morricone
    cool
  7. NP: King Kong (1976)
    Reprise LP master on FSM.

As much as I love the Deluxe Edition FSM released in 2011, this album master with its infamous sound effects is a calssic in its own right.
    For the film itself: I like the film much better than many people seem to do. In my view it's suprior to the overlong version by Peter Jackson. I like the story, the photography and the cast, the ape suite doesn't really bother me.

A great film and a legendary score.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The FSM deluxe edition is fantastic. Such a brilliant score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

rolleyes

Double rolleyes and a uhm for good measure.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote

rolleyes

Double rolleyes and a uhm for good measure.

-Erik-

I don't think it's inconceivable. Desplat's just not there yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's impossible.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote

punk beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer beer punk

devil
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think "X is the next Y" is generally a pretty meaningless statement anyway, although I can understand (and am guilty of) the temptation. Thinking about it, can this statement really apply to anyone?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's a ridiculous statement really but I've heard it bandied about for years. I don't think any great composer worth his or her salt would want to be known as the John Williams of their generation other than emulating his success. Nobody wants to be labelled in someone else's shadow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I would love to be known as the next John Williams. But I'm not quite a great composer yet. (I'm getting there though.)
  9. Maybe you play the guitar? wink
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014
    I've tried. It's not for me.