• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013 edited
    Continued from HERE

NP : CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE 3rd KIND - John Williams

Awesome score to start the new thread love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Hans Zimmer - Crimson Tide

One of my all-time favourites and commonly regarded (even by major detractors like Clemmensen) as a modern classic. Great score, awfully produced album, but as a film score definitely one of the best in this particular style, if not the best.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    Awfully produced? I think it's wonderfully produced.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. The length of the album is perfect, but there are highlights that should be utilized instead of that ambient sinking cue (including some action music, but I'd definitely have the sad and tense cue when Ramsey is relieved of command, which basically is the same film cue as what we have in Alabama). So I'd choose the material a bit differently and make the track length more manageable, though I guess that almost 30-minut mammooth reminds you of prog-rock?
  3. I meant to say, the sinking cue that is on album is a part of a much longer cue going all the way from relieving Ramsey up to actually the start of his own mutiny.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The length of the album is perfect, but there are highlights that should be utilized instead of that ambient sinking cue (including some action music, but I'd definitely have the sad and tense cue when Ramsey is relieved of command, which basically is the same film cue as what we have in Alabama). So I'd choose the material a bit differently and make the track length more manageable, though I guess that almost 30-minut mammooth reminds you of prog-rock?

It does, in a way. Same with those mammoth K2 tracks too. You know the music as it appears in the film far better than I; I'm just judging it as a standalone 'concept album' where it seems to do its trick perfectly.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. If Thor thinks it's a wonderfully produced album, it's sure to be an awful one. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Continued from HERE

Every. Goddamn. Note. punk
  5. NP: Gods and Generals Recording Sessions (John Frizzell)

Much longer than the wonderful 62 minute album, 3 CD's even in total and even though there's a lot of fine music that basically repeats the main themes, there's one track that simply should have been on the original score. The 7 minute track of "VMI Will Be Heard From Today". On the album, it's 2 and a half minutes short but this version here goes over 7 minutes and displays a wonderful additional sense of urgency, build up, heroic color in the middle and a return to that amazing atonal choral music from the 2 and a half minute cue.

Why this cue was partly used on the album is beyond me, but this would have elevated the experience even more. What a cue (especially because it's the only occasion Frizzell goes so chaotic and rhythmic
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Continued from HERE

But the old thread doesn't seem to be closed?
    confused
    Asymmetry! Paradoxes! Chaos! Disbalance! Entropy!
    Aspirin!
    Mental health care!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Da Vinci's Demons - Bear McCreary

It's very long. And it's very good.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Continued from HERE

Every. Goddamn. Note. punk

It should be - there are only five of them.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  7. Well, actually: Now ripping!

Timmer! Guess what arrived today!? That's right: The Book Thief

The bottle of beer in front of me right now I empty to your health!

The right treatment after parent's day.

Volker beer
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ook! shocked Parent-teacher conferences?
    I would need something rather stronger!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    NP: Gods and Generals Recording Sessions (John Frizzell)

Much longer than the wonderful 62 minute album, 3 CD's even in total and even though there's a lot of fine music that basically repeats the main themes, there's one track that simply should have been on the original score. The 7 minute track of "VMI Will Be Heard From Today". On the album, it's 2 and a half minutes short but this version here goes over 7 minutes and displays a wonderful additional sense of urgency, build up, heroic color in the middle and a return to that amazing atonal choral music from the 2 and a half minute cue.

Why this cue was partly used on the album is beyond me, but this would have elevated the experience even more. What a cue (especially because it's the only occasion Frizzell goes so chaotic and rhythmic

WHERE THE HECK DID YOU FIND THIS ONE? I adore the thematic materials that John Frizzell has came up with. It's pretty much the best score he's ever done. So, WHERE THE HECK DID YOU FIND THIS ONE?
  8. O, it was rather relaxed. Since most of my students are 16 years and older not so much parents came to see me. Those students take care of their own business. Or so they should. The get advice by their year tutors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Captain Future wrote
    Well, actually: Now ripping!

Timmer! Guess what arrived today!? That's right: The Book Thief

The bottle of beer in front of me right now I empty to your health!

The right treatment after parent's day.

Volker beer

I hear "Beautiful Mind" whenever I attend a Parent/Teacher conference.
  9. There was one conference with a father of Turkish descent who nearly broke into tears of thankfulness for the support I gave his son over the last two years. Aft that I felt an urge to listen to "Keating's Triumph". smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh my. What a wonderful feather in your cap, Volker.
    That, I would imagine, would really make the job and all the effort so worthwhile!

Well done! beer
  10. Yeah these are the moments! Generally we indeed have rather nice parents who appreciate our efforts. Of course there are disagreements from time to time. But those are in the nature of things and can be dealt with in a civilized way. Mostly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Ah - I didn't even realise he was scoring this. Was the news ever announced on the forum?
  11. It was over at Filmtracks and FSM. Not here? It sure was ...

Besides: You, James, and Jon are both spot on about Book Thief. Fine score, great reviews!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - James Newton Howard

Ah - I didn't even realise he was scoring this. Was the news ever announced on the forum?

crazy
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  12. I think what he meant was:

"Was the news ever announced on the"
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Harry Gregson-Williams - Spy Game

One of his best, I think, the electronics-orchestra marriage is very handled and there are some very intelligent ideas at work here.
  14. Meh. Give me Sinbad or Narnia or Kingdom of Heaven or Prince of Persia or Arthur Christmas over that one any day. wink
  15. NP: The Terminator (1984) - Brad Fiedel
    The Definitive Edition

The title theme is iconic and the whole thing is a very solid synthetic score. Even so I was never able to connect to it like to - say - Vangelis' "Blade Runner".

Volker robot
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    I think Timmer and me are in complete agreement it's one of the finest synthesizer scores ever that we never play. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013
    Lonesome Dove - Basil Poledouris

Lots of my Facebook friends seem to be giving thanks today, for whatever reason. So I'll give thanks for Lonesome Dove and deep fry a turkey in the process.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2013 edited
    Ah. Unwholesome Turkey.