• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Synchrotones wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    What is it about TMNT you don't like?

Maybe I heard it at the wrong time. After Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 and whatnot... it was just too much. I'm kinda Tylered out for now. Yes, his writing is topnotch, I can't fault him for that... I'm just in a different place right now. ..... It's not him, it's me! cheesy

Yeah, I can see that. A year ago, when Tyler was pulling in all sorts of accolades and being pretty much everyone's pick for composer of 2013, I was sort of in the same place with being tired of him. But it was actually TMNT that revitalized his voice for me. Certainly of the three scores you mention, I think TMNT is handily the best.
  2. If only one title from a certain category appears in the "Best Overall Score" does that mean that it wins its own category?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. I'd think it would be a shoe-in. wink
  4. After much ado, procrastination, some secret editing, and what-not.... here are the winners of the Synchrotones' Soundtrack Awards 2014.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  5. Very good. your list has give me some scores to seek out, so thank you! One slight correction: Powell scored two films this year (RIO 2).
  6. christopher wrote
    Very good. your list has give me some scores to seek out, so thank you! One slight correction: Powell scored two films this year (RIO 2).

Yeah ...Rio 2... whoops!

Didn't really like that one anyway. :-p
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  7. I think your reasoning for picking Zimmer for Composer of the Year is interesting, but I can't say I particularly agree with it. Yes, of course his scores from this year are likely to have the most influence going forward, but name a year in the last 20 or so where that wasn't true for Zimmer, regardless of the actual quality of his output.

I think The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is creative and fun, think Interstellar is refreshing and thought-provoking, and think Zimmer did have a very good year - but not as good as Desplat or Powell (or Thomas Bergersen) for me.
  8. Here we go.... the Synchrotones' Soundtrack Awards 2015: The Nominees!!

It will probably raise a few eye brows, and some of the entries surprised even me. But.. I picked those scores that *I* liked. smile Enjoy...
  9. Great choices, from the ones I've heard. I think documentaries have become my favorite film scores, generally.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    Here we go.... the Synchrotones' Soundtrack Awards 2015: The Nominees!!

It will probably raise a few eye brows, and some of the entries surprised even me. But.. I picked those scores that *I* liked. smile Enjoy...

Will there be red carpets, champagne and backstage schmooching?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. And who'll host the show? Billy Crystal?
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  11. Captain Future wrote
    And who'll host the show? Billy Crystal?

No STEVE HARVEY tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  12. Thor wrote

Carpets will be grey, with a hint of brown.
    No champagne, but I can sort out some Presecco.
    Schmooching is an optional extra at £50 (to be paid in full in advance).

Ladies and gentleman... your host for tonight is.... Paaaa-trick Duyn-slae-gheeeeeeer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote

Carpets will be grey, with a hint of brown.
    No champagne, but I can sort out some Presecco.
    Schmooching is an optional extra at £50 (to be paid in full in advance).

Ladies and gentleman... your host for tonight is.... Paaaa-trick Duyn-slae-gheeeeeeer!

LOL! biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Synchrotones wrote

That's right Thor. You don't see the point of "awards" if there's no ceremony or statuette, etc., do you?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Synchrotones wrote

That's right Thor. You don't see the point of "awards" if there's no ceremony or statuette, etc., do you?

Somewhat, but only jokingly.
    I am extremely serious.
  14. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Thor wrote
    Synchrotones wrote

Thor does not approve of expanded ceremonies. The regular ones are sufficient. wink
  15. Captain Future wrote
    Thor does not approve of expanded toilet breaks. The regular ones are sufficient. wink

You said whaaat?! biggrin
  16. Either way is probably true. smile
  17. And here are the 2015 Synchrotones' Soundtrack Awards WINNERS!

Bracing myself for some hate-mail, lol...
  18. Giacchino not in the top 11 composers of the year? An oversight, surely?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynchrotones
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    Yes, and I have now added him. I'm not a huge fan of his work, but yeah... he's had a very prolific year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Giacchino not in the top 11 composers of the year? An oversight, surely?

No, a relief!
    I am extremely serious.
  19. Thor wrote
    No, a relief!

Glad I'm not the only one. I do actually like a lot of his music, but I think he's a bit overrated a lot of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Synchrotones wrote
    Thor wrote
    No, a relief!

Glad I'm not the only one. I do actually like a lot of his music, but I think he's a bit overrated a lot of the time.

Just in case people don't speak weirdtarded here is a translation of the comments above.

"Da Derp Dee Derp Da Teetley Derpee Derpee Dumb"

wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  20. Actually, in Poland, Giacchino isn't always regarded as the hope for orchestral writing that he tends to be perceived as he is here or in the US. The general opinion is that while Lost is (usually regarded as) fantastic and it's great that he offers the return of leitmotivic writing of the yesteryear, he could be a better thematic writer and could have a better sense of structuring an action piece, which rarely has an overarching idea.

That said, I don't really agree with it. But you can't say that the praise for Giacchino is, generally, universal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2016 edited
    PawelStroinski wrote
    He could be a better thematic writer and could have a better sense of structuring an action piece, which rarely has an overarching idea.

uhm

I couldn't disagree with you more. I don't know how any one can listen to "The Shadow Chase" and not hear an overarching idea. And what more do you want from his themes? dizzy Ok... I could have used more variation from his thematic material in stuff like Jurassic World and Tomorrowland but for the most part I usually like Giacchino's themes.

Did I just set myself up to read a 10,000 word response? shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually, in Poland, Giacchino isn't always regarded as the hope for orchestral writing that he tends to be perceived as he is here or in the US.

Is that actually a thing in Poland? uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Did I just set myself up to read a 10,000 word response? shocked

Yes. I read one of his replies once. It took a while.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And I'm sure Thor will DERP in here somewhere...

-Erik-