• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014
    To answer your question I really enjoyed "Behold Hawaii" one that I recently reviewed as part of the Basil Poledouris collection.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/t … ion-vol-1/

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/t … -1991band/

Another listed above is Richard Band's Pit and the Pendulum so you can see that I'm not against electronics at all just selective.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2014
    PawelStroinski wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Second I just have never been able to get excited over the electronic score. If it had been written, orchestrated, and arranged for the concert hall I would give it another listen as the theme is catchy. There is so much more to listen to that is satisfying to my eardrums.

Tom

I wanted to ask you if there is any electronic film score you got to like.

sdtom wrote
    To answer your question I really enjoyed "Behold Hawaii" one that I recently reviewed as part of the Basil Poledouris collection.

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/06/14/t … ion-vol-1/

http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2014/07/02/t … -1991band/

Another listed above is Richard Band's Pit and the Pendulum so you can see that I'm not against electronics at all just selective.
    Tom

Just to make your post a bit clearer Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Close Encounters:

I dug out my old CD and discovered, that it is actually not by Arista, but by Alhambra. On its back cover it says: "By courtesy of BMG Ariola München GmbH / Arista Records Inc.".
    I did some research now: The German Alhambra album is legitimate, released simultaniusly with Arista back in 1986. The original vinyl LP was released by Arista. All CD releases feature that LP master, only the 1998 Arista edition features a 70+ minutes program mastered from the original tapes.

smile V.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014 edited
    The Big THREE-OH.

One of my favorite Jerry Goldsmith scores (PSYCHO II) was in the queue for the 30th position.
    However, I disqualified it since all I have is the MCA LP (which contains only 8 selections - one of which is Bernard Herrmann's 'shower murder' motif) and this short album program does not satisfy enough.
    Besides, I prefer to make room for other lesser-known gems and refuse to have a Top X list containing only a handful of A-listers with large fanbases.

I have not yet purchased Intrada's expansion of PSYCHO II (it's still on my wish list, though), so my #30 is granted upon something rather unique ...

... #30: BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW (1970) by Marc Wilkinson, on Trunk CD (2007).

Within the audio commentary of Anchor Bay's Region 2 DVD of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW (released in 2004), one guys asks if there's a soundtrack for this flick.
    At that time, there was none. Indeed, the film itself was not easy to catch. Out of distribution for a long while since its premiere in 1971, BLOOD ON SATAN's CLAW was issued onto DVD at first only in the U.K.

It also took years for the tapes from the recording sessions to finally surface onto digital media, which it did via the Trunk label in late '07.

I have always suspected that recordings in London for British productions are not all lost (as we've been lead to believe), and here's proof that Marc Wilkinson's soundtrack for this Tigon flick is not lost but had a long route to traverse before arriving legit on CD.

I think the 'cult' status of BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW greatly helped its music to get issued. Consumer interest needs to be detected before the complex untangling of rights ownerships and/or estates are satisfied.

BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW is 2nd only to WITCHFINDER GENERAL as a well-regarded horror opus from Tony Tenser's Tigon production company (a competitor to Britain's Hammer Films, as was Amicus).

This would be enough to make this soundtrack unique. Yet, Wilkinson's music is absolutely striking in its melodic contours and its instrumentation.

This score features 2 idiosyncratic instruments as its chief aural identity: the cimbalom and the Ondes Martenot. The main meldoy sounds as if it is a genuine English folk-tune, but it's an entirely original composition by Marc Wilkinson, who was also a director of music for Theatre.
    [as a side note, the Ondes Martenot models made between 1953 and 1971 used valves and could sound rather different than the transistor-based models utilized in more familiar soundtracks from the 1980s by Bernstein or Jarre].

Prior to this disc, the only other soundtrack by Wilkinson that I'm aware of was the TER LP of ENIGMA ('83).
    [Another reason for uniqueness because Wilkinson is so under-represented on disc]

Lots of stand-out tracks in this album, not least of which is Wilkinson's underscoring of Linda Hayden's full-frontal disrobing in front of a vicar portrayed by Anthony Ainley (who went on to play "The Master" in DOCTOR WHO serials during the 1980s). smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    I see Blood On Satan's Claw is on Spotify so I'll give it a listen. I've seen the film many many years ago but I don't remember the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2014
    I'm sure I saw the film also many years ago. I'll give a listen to some of it on Spotify.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    Two JB's in a row....

# 31 THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - JOHN BARRY

My 2nd and last James Bond entry. Other John Barry JB scores may be more classic and have some of my very favourite cues of the series but this one, like ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE, I can play beginning to end and enjoy every moment, classics like YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE, GOLDFINGER, THUNDERBALL etcetera all have moments I have to skip. Barry gets three major songs to play with in this score and all are great, from the infamous collaboration with a~ha on the title theme to the two brilliant and far better songs written with Chrissie Hinde of The Pretenders, the thumpingly aggressive 'Where Has Everybody Gone' and gorgeous love ballad 'If There Was A Man', the score itself is full of thematic greatness including a menacing synth groove based on Where Has Everybody Gone, the Opium music, the Russian music, the Jailbreak music....I could go on and on! John Barry pulled out all the stops on what would turn out to be his swan song on the series and a fan like myself could not have asked for a better farewell from the series musical genius.

I've owned the album numerous times from its LP incarnation to the RYKO expanded "complete" edition. It is the RYKO I chose here, more really is better concerning this score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014
    ....and done with only twenty minutes of Monday left wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Just for Cobweb I shall point out that there are no more John Barry choices over the next few weeks. biggrin
  2. The Living Daylights is my favourite bond score!

No. 31:
    The Miss Marple Films by Ron Goodwin

Murder She Said, Murder at the Gallop, Murder Must Foul and Murder Ahoy!
    These films enjoy cult status in Germany. The blessed Margaret Rutherford defined the character of Miss Jane Marple for all those people who never actually read a novel by Agatha Christie. Margaret Rutherford's image is so strongly connected to the character that people are actually disappointed when they discover that the films are in many ways different from the novels. I have heard that this is the main reason why these films, dircted by George Pollock, are not nearly as popular in England as they are in Germany.
    Famend British composer Ron Goodwin scored the four films. The main musical identity he created, a jolly and catchy melody, is among those few film tunes that nearly every German will recoginze.
    To my knowledge there has never been a proper release of the actual film scores. I also don't know about the status of the original source material. What I do know is, that no proper sheet music survives. The suite on the above named album was reconstructed by the composer from the films themselves. Ron Goodwin conducts the Odense Symphony Orchestra. The Miss-Marple-Suite is accompanied by suites from Lancelot and Guinevere and Force 10 From Navarone. In total the album is a splendid listening experience.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited
    The films are still shown on UK TV occasionally , usually in a Saturday/Sunday morning slot.

Good to see Ron Goodwin appear on this list, he did so many great themes and scores. I met him a number of times in the late 70's - early 80's and he was a real gentleman always happy to converse with fans. A much missed talent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    One that I wouldn't have chosen Volker but remember my head is back into the 30's and 40's.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's still some Goodwin I would like to have. ONE OF OUR DINOSAURS IS MISSING, a 1970's Disney film with Kung-Fu grannies, is a must-have for me, a great score! ( a possible from Intrada perhaps? )

I'd also like his early horror efforts Village/Children of The Damned but I hear this is extremely unlikely.
  3. Walhalla! Walhalla!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Just for Cobweb I shall point out that there are no more John Barry choices over the next few weeks. biggrin

OK.

But next few weeks are only #32 and #33.

I think there's another Barry comin' before the big Four-O.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Actually no! Just looked through my written list, no more John Barry until the 40's.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Walhalla! Walhalla!

Time for your pills Captain?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    That's Valhalla, single V!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    As usual, I don't care particularly for Barry's LIVING DAYLIGHTS score, but I love the a-ha/Barry title song!

MISS MARPLE is a famous television icon in Norway as well, although I can't say I remember much of the music. Sounds good, though. Goodwin was a wonderful tunesmith.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

31. CRIMSON TIDE (Hans Zimmer)

God, how I love Zimmer in his 90s power anthem mode. THE ROCK is far higher on the list, but this one surfs on its wonderful 'delicious darkness'. So massive and foreboding, yet melodic and actionpumping at the same time. Love the 'muffled' version of the psalm "Eternal Father, Strong to Save". And "Roll Tide" is one of the best film music cues of all time, regardless of genre.

While THE ROCK truly popularized the style, this one was the first that truly felt like the 'finished', developped version of the sound that started with BLACK RAIN. As such, it must be included on the list.

I've had the album for ages.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Thor wrote

Yeah ... right ... rolleyes

http://www.moviepilot.de/files/images/0 … lhalla.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Actually no! Just looked through my written list, no more John Barry until the 40's.

That's a little surprising - no more John Barry titles from Timmer until the autumn of 2014.

Still, I think Timmer has altogether more than 5 Barry soundtracks within his Top 50 ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

There's only one proper spelling, and that's the original Nordic one! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2014 edited
    French director Francois Truffaut died about 30 years ago. Truffaut continues to be regarded as one of the leading lights of the Nouvelle Vague. Also iconic is Truffaut's collaborative relationship with composer Georges Delerue.
    My favorite scores for Truffaut films are not written by Delerue, though. Nor were they done by Bernard Herrmann.
    For me, Antoine Duhamel has provided most satisfying music and my favorite soundtrack by him is:

#31: LA SIRENE DU MISSISSIPI (1968) [aka THE MISSISSIPPI MERMAID] by Antoine Duhamel, on Milan CD (1991).

I've never owned (or even come across) the 1969 LP soundtrack on this French rarity ...

http://www.italiansoundtracks.com/image … sirene.gif

... and supposedly this United Artists / Pathe Marconi disc runs only 25 minutes in duration.
    The Milan CD more than doubles this runtime.

Interestingly, the spelling of Mississippi in the French title contains only a single letter "P".

Truffaut's film, though, is not set in the American state of Mississippi; nor does it have any mermaids.

The title refers to the sailing ship by which Catherine Deneuve arrives on a tropical island to marry factory owner Jean-Paul Belmondo.

Duhamel's multi-themed score does not contain easy-to-remember melodies.
    Indeed, when I purchased this CD in the early 2000s, I did not fall in love with its music initially and it took years to escalate into my favorites.

Duhamel's motifs are placed into so many variations that all of them are not detectable at first (or even second) listening.

Then, one day, this soundtrack album integrated together in my mind and afterwards I was hooked.
    Now ... when I play this disc, I typically don't play it once ... I listen to it several times in a row before being satiated.

Duhamel writes his music with polyphonic density. A Duhamel rhythm or ostinato can surface later on in the score as part of the melodic line (and vice versa).

Much of the time, A.D.'s compositions sound more classical than lyrical. His themes, like with this score, can possess a Bach-like character and the musical counterpoint can be very neo-classical not unlike Stravinsky.

Antoine Duhamel rarely figures onto the favorites lists of soundtrack collectors - but I think he should.
    His music is of a fine quality. While film music fans will usually mention Delerue and Jarre and Legrand on the topic of French composers, my trinity of favorite French composers are, rather, Jean Prodromides and Pierre Jansen and Antoine Duhamel. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

That's a little surprising - no more John Barry titles from Timmer until the autumn of 2014.

Still, I think Timmer has altogether more than 5 Barry soundtracks within his Top 50 ...

Quality always shows through!
  5. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Thor wrote

There's only one proper spelling, and that's the original Nordic one! wink

O, this:

http://image5.spreadshirt.net/image-ser … lhalla.jpg

wink Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A shame that Cobweb's Antoine Duhamel choice isn't available on Spotify. I would have given a listen.

As for Thor's choice Crimson Tide, I only like little bits of it. IMO Power anthems are horrible, listening to 'Roll Tide' I have to check my gagging reflex, the film music equivalent of those nasty 1980's Tina Turner power ballads.
  6. Timmer wrote

... those nasty 1980's Tina Turner power ballads.

uhm
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    A shame that Cobweb's Antoine Duhamel choice isn't available on Spotify. I would have given a listen.

As for Thor's choice Crimson Tide, I only like little bits of it. IMO Power anthems are horrible, listening to 'Roll Tide' I have to check my gagging reflex, the film music equivalent of those nasty 1980's Tina Turner power ballads.

Ha, ha....pretty amazing how the exact same piece of music can have so completely opposite effects on our brains. I get goosebumps of pure joy every time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2014
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Ha, ha....pretty amazing how the exact same piece of music can have so completely opposite effects on our brains.

Indeed it is. It can seem baffling when you love a piece so much to the point "you" ( we ) don't get it when someone has the opposite opinion.