• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I need the meta-level for personal reasons smile

But I also love to watch and be engrossed. Usually it's engrossment first, meta-level second. I need to *really* love something to be interested in how it was made.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    It seems a bit old fashioned to say "I own such and such films" as though it were an achievement in an age of instantly available downloads. uhm

Go download yer arse tongue

As soon as they crack that technology, you can rest assured I'll be the first to. You can have the honour of being number 2, of course.

I'll be numero uno? Or has Tim already booked me?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Monday again already! Time flies by! slant
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014 edited
    Adriiiiiaaaaaaan!!!?

# 32 BILL CONTI - ROCKY

Back in the mid 70's there were only a handful of film composers I cared about and my collection didn't go very much further than Barry, Williams and Morricone. Bill Conti was a name I'd never heard of until Rocky hit the cinemas in 1976 and Gonna Fly Now and You Take My Breath Away were big(ish) UK chart hits and I bought the 45 rpm singles of both and played them to death. After seeing the film I just had to have the soundtrack album and it's been a stayer ever since. IMO it is the greatest score to a sports movie ever bar none, I've no doubt that both movie and music launched a multitude of gym memberships across the world.

Great songs, great score, great chilled out tracks like Reflections and even a track named after Stallone's dog, Butkus. I'm not keen on The Marines' Hymn / Yankee Doodle but at a mere 1.45 I just let it play through. This is one of the 1970's best and most inspired scores. Wonderful stuff!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. ^ da da daaaaa da da daaaaa da da daaaaa da da daaaaa biggrin

No. 32:

The Name of the Rose (1986) by James Horner

I believe that this was the second album by James Horner I owned, the first being Willow. My album - and I think there is no other version - is a German release (Teldec) that goes by the name Der Name der Rose.

Horner has written far better scores than this one, but - heck, I love the film. I LOVE the film and the novel, I adore Umberto Eco, both the writer and the philosopher.

In retrospect contracting James Horner for this German led European production seems a bit of a surprise. Ennio Morricone would have been the obvious choice imo. Director Jean-Jacques Annaud would later work with Horner on "Duel - Enemy at the Gate" and "Black Gold".

Have you see the film? One squence has burned itself into my memory: During the climactic events that conclude the film William of Baskerville (Sean Connery) escapes the fiery inferno of the burning library tower, cradling some precious books he could rescue. He looks out for his ward Atzon von Melk (Christian Slater), whom he fears to be dead. The facial expression, a study of terror, fatigue and desperation, reveals the character actor Connery in all his magnitude. Then they find each other and the tension lifts while mentor and disciple embrace. James Horner leads his dark and moody score into a melodic, organ-like melody, that is jet full of melancholy and a sense of loss.
    "Epilogue" and "End Titles" are among those pieces of film music that mean most to me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    At the time I thought this would be a perfect film for scoring by John Barry or Ennio Morricone or Georges Delerue.

I know a lot of people don't like Horner's score but I'm not one of them, I think it works perfectly and Horner nails a medieval sound coloured with an electronic score, helped with Gregorian chant it is a great album.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    It seems a bit old fashioned to say "I own such and such films" as though it were an achievement in an age of instantly available downloads. uhm

Go download yer arse tongue

As soon as they crack that technology, you can rest assured I'll be the first to. You can have the honour of being number 2, of course.

I'll be numero uno? Or has Tim already booked me?

So, you really want to be le pisse garcon? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Useless info of the day: Michael Dorn who plays Klingon, Worf, made his acting debut in ROCKY as one of Apollo Creed's bodyguards.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014 edited
    My list so far from 1 - 32

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Adriiiiiaaaaaaan!!!?

# 32 BILL CONTI - ROCKY

Back in the mid 70's there were only a handful of film composers I cared about and my collection didn't go very much further than Barry, Williams and Morricone. Bill Conti was a name I'd never heard of until Rocky hit the cinemas in 1976 and Gonna Fly Now and You Take My Breath Away were big(ish) UK chart hits and I bought the 45 rpm singles of both and played them to death. After seeing the film I just had to have the soundtrack album and it's been a stayer ever since. IMO it is the greatest score to a sports movie ever bar none, I've no doubt that both movie and music launched a multitude of gym memberships across the world.

Great songs, great score, great chilled out tracks like Reflections and even a track named after Stallone's dog, Butkus. I'm not keen on The Marines' Hymn / Yankee Doodle but at a mere 1.45 I just let it play through. This is one of the 1970's best and most inspired scores. Wonderful stuff!

Not worthy to be on a list but the theme maybe.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014
    Captain Future wrote
    ^ da da daaaaa da da daaaaa da da daaaaa da da daaaaa biggrin

No. 32:

The Name of the Rose (1986) by James Horner

I believe that this was the second album by James Horner I owned, the first being Willow. My album - and I think there is no other version - is a German release (Teldec) that goes by the name Der Name der Rose.

Horner has written far better scores than this one, but - heck, I love the film. I LOVE the film and the novel, I adore Umberto Eco, both the writer and the philosopher.

In retrospect contracting James Horner for this German led European production seems a bit of a surprise. Ennio Morricone would have been the obvious choice imo. Director Jean-Jacques Annaud would later work with Horner on "Duel - Enemy at the Gate" and "Black Gold".

Have you see the film? One squence has burned itself into my memory: During the climactic events that conclude the film William of Baskerville (Sean Connery) escapes the fiery inferno of the burning library tower, cradling some precious books he could rescue. He looks out for his ward Atzon von Melk (Christian Slater), whom he fears to be dead. The facial expression, a study of terror, fatigue and desperation, reveals the character actor Connery in all his magnitude. Then they find each other and the tension lifts while mentor and disciple embrace. James Horner leads his dark and moody score into a melodic, organ-like melody, that is jet full of melancholy and a sense of loss.
    "Epilogue" and "End Titles" are among those pieces of film music that mean most to me.

Volker

Again I can't agree.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    # 32 BILL CONTI - ROCKY

sdtom wrote
    Tom

Oh, but it IS worthy Tom! It's my choice remember. It's about favourite albums, albums that within ones personal opinion are a great listen from beginning to end, sometimes nostalgia plays a part for sure but there is no doubting that Conti's score has become an iconic film classic.

This list isn't about the greatest scores ever written although I'm sure you'll agree many have already been included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014
    If I was asked in 1986/'87 who my favorite 3 composers are, at that time I'd say Jerry Goldsmith, Brian May and Richard Band.

There are 2 Goldsmith soundtracks in my current favorites list (with more Goldsmith faves dismissed from the Top 50), I mentioned a Brian May album weeks ago, and now here comes a lone Richard Band offering ...

#32: FROM BEYOND (1986) by Richard Band, on Enigma LP (also '86).

While never a person to appreciate gore in movies, I nonetheless have been drawn into the genres of the fantastic (sci-fi, horror, etc.) since teenage years because of the opportunity these genres lend to composers to create fantastic soundscapes.

In the mid-'80s, I was interested in the Band family's (Albert, Charles, Richard, etc.) Empire Pictures productions since they focused on the fantastic despite low budgets.

Band's soundtrack albums for TROLL and THE ALCHEMIST were some of my most frequently listened-to albums around those years, but I have since outgrown my interest in Richard Band and don't currently listen much to his music. Throughout the decades, another fave of mine - FROM BEYOND - has risen above Band's other film scores to emerge as my favorite. Indeed, I think of FROM BEYOND as the finest film score from 1986.

For years, I have been so accustomed to the LP program on Enigma Records that the expansion and re-mastering of FROM BEYOND on CD removes some of the aspects of the LP which I love so much.
    Sure, I appreciate the additional music on the CD, but the CD sounds quite different.
    Perhaps much reverb was added in the initial LP mastering, or maybe the CD preserves the sound of the original recording. Whichever mastering is the correct one, it's the Enigma version which is to my taste.

... and taste is certainly a deciding factor as to whether one will be receptive or not to FROM BEYOND.
    FB is written for string orchestra, percussion and electronics - no woodwinds nor brass.
    The instrumentation might telegraph "Bartok", but Band's soundsculpture, for once, does not sound like any other composer. No Herrmannesque RE-ANIMATOR rip-off here, and no carbon-copy Goldsmith either.

The electronic instruments are well-integrated into the overall aural fabric. FROM BEYOND does not suffer from electronics sounding as though tacked onto the acoustic instruments; the acoustic & electric create an organic whole.

Yet, FROM BEYOND is still an acquired taste and not recommended unless one is predisposed towards the outré.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    # 32 BILL CONTI - ROCKY

sdtom wrote
    Tom

Oh, but it IS worthy Tom! It's my choice remember. It's about favourite albums, albums that within ones personal opinion are a great listen from beginning to end, sometimes nostalgia plays a part for sure but there is no doubting that Conti's score has become an iconic film classic.

This list isn't about the greatest scores ever written although I'm sure you'll agree many have already been included.

You've touched upon some good ones. As I said a favorite song, the rest of it is your favorite.
    Tom
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I never cared much for Richard Band. In fact I don't think I have any full soundtrack scores by him at all.

I remember quite liking the film FROM BEYOND, but I'd swallow anything and everything H.P. Lovecraft based back in the day. I'm afraid I have no recollection of the score at all though I know that at that time I would have been taking note of the score as I did all films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I have Reanimator along with The Pit and the Pendulum and I think that's it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014
    Timmer wrote
    I never cared much for Richard Band. In fact I don't think I have any full soundtrack scores by him at all.

That's understandable. More often than not, Richard Band film scores would "quote" passages from soundtracks by A-list composers.
    This - plus the low budget efforts Band's name got attached to - works against Band's status / reputation / etc.

To folks of a certain generation, though, Band soundtracks may have some following because we discovered his movie music prior to discovering the music of others. Band was one the composers whose works I pursued because his scores were coming out during my formative years as a beginning soundtrack collector and the type of movies Band scored were of primary interest to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    I forgot to mention that FROM BEYOND stepped up to #32 on my list because I eliminated WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? (by North) from my finalists.

Reasons: I skip past the selections of dialogue between Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor when listening to Alex North's music. There's also a juke-box rock number by Sonny Burke which I pass over, too.

[... and the Goldsmith-conducted rerecording is too slowly paced for my liking]
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Another score "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" that I would revisit much. I have it as a transfer.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    ROCKY -- great, indelible theme, but not that interesting as an album, overall. ROCKY IV is far better, IMO.

THE NAME OF THE ROSE -- I love the film and Eco in general too, and thought it was cool to have Horner do an electronic score for a period flick. Something different. But it's far from my favourite Horner album.

FROM BEYOND -- I really only know Band by name, and from the little I've heard, he's never really been my cup of tea. Then again, I haven't bothered to explore very much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014 edited
    My pick:

32. BEN HUR (Miklos Rozsa)

I've always had a soft spot for epic/historical/mythological films, and this is certainly one of the cornerstones in that genre. I've had the film in multiple formats, but I only got the soundtrack in the mid 90s after having warmed to the composer's sound on a Silva Screen compilation called THE EPIC FILM MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA or some such thing. It was the Rhino/TCM single-disc edition with the original tracks. While the biblical music -- especially in the beginning ("Star of Bethlehem" or "Adoration of the Magicians") -- is drop-dead gorgeous, some of the action music can become a bit grating and intense at times, mostly because Rozsa often uses these dense, chromatic clusters of sound in the brass. For example, I don't think I've ever managed to sit through the "block" of rowing/sea battle tracks in the middle of the album.

So if I had sought out the album today, it would probably be an earlier or later rerecording, done in suite format. Certainly not the extended version, even though it contains more of the lovely religious stuff.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014
    Thor wrote
    ROCKY -- great, indelible theme, but not that interesting as an album, overall. ROCKY IV is far better, IMO.

I like DiCola's score. But it isn't anywhere near Conti's score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Ben Hur is a classic.
    Tom smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    My pick:

32. BEN HUR (Miklos Rozsa)

I've always had a soft spot for epic/historical/mythological films, and this is certainly one of the cornerstones in that genre. I've had the film in multiple formats, but I only got the soundtrack in the mid 90s after having warmed to the composer's sound on a Silva Screen compilation called THE EPIC FILM MUSIC OF MIKLOS ROZSA or some such thing. It was the Rhino/TCM single-disc edition with the original tracks. While the biblical music -- especially in the beginning ("Star of Bethlehem" or "Adoration of the Magicians") -- is drop-dead gorgeous, some of the action music can become a bit grating and intense at times, mostly because Rozsa often uses these dense, chromatic clusters of sound in the brass. For example, I don't think I've ever managed to sit through the "block" of rowing/sea battle tracks in the middle of the album.

So if I had sought out the album today, it would probably be an earlier or later rerecording, done in suite format. Certainly not the extended version, even though it contains more of the lovely religious stuff.

All that "rowing/sea battles" shit? I fooking love it me! cool

I am a little surprised you didn't go Martijn's way...

Martijn wrote

my favourite album must be the Decca rerecording of Rozsa's Ben Hur.

I know I've sung the praises of this album (together with the magnificent Quo Vadis) before, and the reason still stands firm in this thread: it is an album that solely consists of highlights. There simply is NO track that dips beneath the "five star" line. It is, in my opinion, by far the very best soundtrack album ever produced: recording, mastering, orchestration, track selection, and resequencnig (well, it's not so much resequencing as it is a rewriting of the original film score material into suite compositions).
    All incredibly well executed, with a result that continues to amaze and move me to this day, no matter how often I hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, as I said earlier -- I would probably have picked up an album like that instead at the time if I had known about it.

But back in the mid 90s, the A&A vs. C&C phenomenon wasn't as widespread, so I basically just fell in love with Rozsa's religious sound on that Silva compilation, found the TCM CD with the name BEN HUR on it in a discount bin and picked it up. I have never bothered to replace it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited
    Oh la la...

# 33 TRUE CONFESSIONS - GEORGES DELERUE

A tough choice between this and AGNES OF GOD, both have that gorgeous "religious" sound that Delerue did so well but I have gone for True Confessions as it is more varied. Full of the gorgeous heart-melting themes Delerue is famous for, aching strings and soaring choral work this is simply magnificent. Only 30 minutes long but oh, what a 30 minutes it is!

I never owned this on LP but was one of the lucky ones who bought it as soon as Varese CD Club released it as a 1000 pressings only limited release that sold out overnight.

EDIT: I just remembered that there is a generous suite of the original score on the Universal France 6 CD music of Georges Delerue box set which I have, it was released before the Varese Club CD.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I have the suite, but I never got the whole soundtrack. Is the whole thing worth having, or does that represent the music fairly well? I'm always curious about more Delerue, especially in that vein.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have the box set to hand Thor, I think the suite was about 10 - 12 minutes worth?

I would say the suite does represent the music very well but to me more is better and this gem is only 30 approximate minutes long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I see.

The trouble is always the suspense tracks with Delerue. He doesn't know how to do it, at least not in a way I find satisfying. That's what drags albums like AGNES OF GOD and BLACK ROBE down, despite the gorgeous religioso tracks. So I thought maybe the same thing was true for this.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    I see.

The trouble is always the suspense tracks with Delerue. He doesn't know how to do it, at least not in a way I find satisfying. That's what drags albums like AGNES OF GOD and BLACK ROBE down, despite the gorgeous religioso tracks. So I thought maybe the same thing was true for this.

That was why I'm reluctant to out and out recommend it to you Thor, there is some of that suspense music which, to me, works perfectly and I like a lot.