• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2014
    Only if you buy him dinner first.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2014 edited
    yeah

Captain Future wrote
    Hey Tim, will it be a doubble entry next monday?

( just imagine if Scarlett Johansson said that dizzy
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Timmer wrote
    yeah

Captain Future wrote
    Hey Tim, will it be a doubble entry next monday?

( just imagine if Scarlett Johansson said that dizzy

Dream on!
    rolleyes Small wonder there a so few ladies around here.
    smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2014
    It's true. All women are humourless. Perhaps we should talk about boys and ponies, I hear that's what they like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    As for Henry Mancini, I always thought it was a shame he never got a crack at a Bond film. IMO Mancini was the only equal of John Barry when it came to writing songs for film.

This was a score that garnered little attention and truly has its moments. Good choice Martijn.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014 edited
    Mr Rochester....

# 35 JOHN WILLIAMS - JANE EYRE

My second TV score to make the list would be more at home in a big budget film such is the quality of this sublime score. The main theme is, in my opinion, John Williams loveliest theme and it even gets a workout on harpsichord half way through the album, the sinister main titles, the Vaughan Williamsesque Restoration and the wonderful Reunion. There's nothing on this album I don't love, it's absolutely perfect.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Hey Tim, will it be a double entendre next monday?

Joking aside. No! In fact this Monday's is cancelled as I'm off for a week ( holiday in Cornwall ), still, if Martijn does his 20 - 30 there'll be plenty to chat about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Mr Rochester....

My second TV score to make the list would be more at home in a big budget film such is the quality of this sublime score. The main theme is, in my opinion, John Williams loveliest theme and it even gets a workout on harpsichord half way through the album, the sinister main titles, the Vaughan Williamsesque Restoration and the wonderful Reunion. There's nothing on this album I don't love, it's absolutely perfect.

It really is!

My vote goes to the Mother/son love theme from A.I. for his loveliest theme, but Jane Eyre is a close second for me. I just hope this gets a rerecording it so sorely deserves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    At last! I had expected it higher up.

But no need for me to chime in about how much I love this score, as it already featured on my 6th(!) place several months ago.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

35. STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE (Danny Elfman)

When Elfman's concert piece "Serenada Schizophrana" came in 2005, I had sort of lost my great appetite for the composer (with some exceptions) since the late 90s. But that piece ushered in a whole other sound -- also in his film scores -- that I immediately fell in love with. Slightly Philipp Glass-ian, but with loads of melancholy, "delicious" orchestrations and brilliant textures. That sound is all over this score, and among the Serenada-inspired scores in the years that followed, this one stands in a league of its own. The minor/major shifts of the piano melody, softly segueing in and out, the cool fusion of percussion/electronics/orchestra etc. It quickly became my most-played Elfman soundtrack since it came out in 2008 and towers as his major achievement in the 2000s, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Jane Eyre is a marvelous score. Great choice! And: Have a nice Holliday! I made a bus tour through Cornwall, Devon and Dartmoor some 20 years ago. I stayed in Bristol back then for one night, before we went back to London.

To the surprise of nobody:

No. 35

The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King (2003) by Howard Shore

As with the previous two scores I prefer the original singel disc release as an overall listening experiance. Yet in this case I am especially glad to also own the complete recording release since there are some oustanding cues there that were excluded from the original CD.

The final three cues "The Return of the Kings", "The Grey Heavens"and "Into the West" are among the most special musical moments I ever encoutered. Letting Annie Lennox sing the final song was an inspired decision. This is among those musical moments (Morricone The Mission, Williams Light of the Force, Beethofen 9th final; Mahler 2nd final ...) that tell me that beyond all that can be known love is the eternal truth that calls this Universe into existence. This is the music of the Ainur and it sings of the Flame Imperishable.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Captain Future wrote
    love is the eternal truth that calls this Universe into existence.

And here I thought it was beer.
  3. 42 wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2014
    Thor wrote
    At last! I had expected it higher up.

But no need for me to chime in about how much I love this score, as it already featured on my 6th(!) place several months ago.

After my own top 10 a lot of them could revolve into higher placings. a lot of my choices after # 10 are all pushing and shoving for 11th place, on another day, month, year, because I'm a moody fuck, Jane Eyre may well have pushed into my top 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    While it is a good score the Herrmann is far superior, sorry.
    Tom
  4. I know both scores but I know neither film so that makes any comparison difficult. I'd say that in terms of symphonic complexity and finesse Hermann's score is the more ambitious. But let's not forget we are comparing a TV score to a cinematic one. William' s score is hauntingly bitter sweet and melodic.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    The Herrmann is good, but it doesn't even come CLOSE to the Williams in terms of brilliance, IMO.

I've only seen the Williams in a shoddy VHS/TV copy format, and the Herrmann in a DVD-type copy, so it would be unfair to compare them. Neither of the films are particularly good, however, and are much inferior to the recent adaptation by Cary Fukanaga. If it weren't for their brilliant scores, they would not be referenced these days, that's what I think.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. One has to take into account the historic distance between 1944 and 1970. The film msic of the 1940s sounds diffent than that of the late 1960s.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    The Herrmann is good, but it doesn't even come CLOSE to the Williams in terms of brilliance, IMO.

yeah

The Herrmann is nowhere near as good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote

My number 5. love
    Like Thor, I would have expected this one higher up on your list, but I totally understand: these lists tend to change by the minute, and each subsequent play makes for a new or revised entry.
    We offer great consistency in our inconsistency. smile

Timmer wrote
    In fact this Monday's is cancelled as I'm off for a week ( holiday in Cornwall ), still, if Martijn does his 20 - 30 there'll be plenty to chat about.

Oh, I dunno.
    Just had a think on those, and there aren't many controversial entries, I fear.
    sad For proper out-of-left-corner entries and following conversations I think 'tis master Cobweb to turn to, not me!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    BTW massive shout-out to Cobweb for including Brian May's fantastic Thirst!
    And just when I thought that would be pretty much the only time our apparently conversely asymptotic tastes collided, he pops in an album that is actually in my top 50 as well: Antony And Cleopatra!
    Go, Cob!
    biggrin

Thanks, Martijn. Glad to read that you like Brian May's THIRST (and other titles by him, I hope).

ANTONY AND CLEOPATRA would receive more love, I think, if more folks were familiar with the films which John Scott scored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    other than Alan we don't seem to have Herrmann lovers on this board.
    Tom
  6. bhangra me! bhangra me! bhangra me! bhangra
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    what does that mean Volker. The only thing I know is that it's a folk dance.
    tom
  7. I tried to indicate very subtly that I also love Herrmann's music. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    what do folk dances have to do with Herrmann confused confused confused Which scores do you like Volker?
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL!

Tom, I assume it was just a matter of doing a 'happy dance' to say that he is enthusiastic about Herrmann too. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  8. In my collection I have:

The 7th Voyage of Sindbad
    Bernard Herrmann Film Scores (milan)
    Citizen Kane
    Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann
    The Day the Earth Stood Still
    Fahrenheit 451 / The Twilight Zone
    Jane Eyre
    Jason and the Argonauts
    North by Northwest
    Psycho
    Taxi Driver
    Vertigo
    The Egyptian (with Alfred Newman)

All of these are re-recordings with the exception of "TheEgyptian" of which I habe the original and the re-recording and "Taxi Driver".
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    LOL!

Tom, I assume it was just a matter of doing a 'happy dance' to say that he is enthusiastic about Herrmann too. smile

Ah the brain of a stroke survior
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I would seek out as an example the following
    "Beneath the Twelve Mile Reef," "Devil and Daniel Webster," Symphony No. 1, "Cape Fear"
    Tom