• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014
    For some sinful reason I somehow caught the last hour of ROCKY IV a couple weekends back and I quite surprised at how much I liked Vince di Cola's score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    For some sinful reason I somehow caught the last hour of ROCKY IV a couple weekends back and I quite surprised at how much I liked Vince di Cola's score.

You're coming around! wink

I never expected you to like anything about this score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014
    My next title is the closest to a Western in my Top 50.

#37: A MAN CALLED HORSE (1970) by Leonard Rosenman, on FSM CD (2010).

My 3rd favorite Rosenman score is my 2nd favorite Rosenman album (and the final Lennie within my Top 50).
    A MAN CALLED HORSE is also the closest thing to a franchise on my favorites list, though most folks probably don't think of this (along with THE RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE and TRIUMPHS OF A MAN CALLED HORSE) as a typical Hollywood trilogy.

It's not really a Western, either. There's no heroic goodies shootin' up the baddies. There's no Coplandesque Americana, either. Rosenman's A MAN CALLED HORSE reflects a Native American culture and communicates how man (as a species) can commune with Nature.
    There is battle music, though, and a hallucinogenic sequence.

While there may have been some earlier films and scores which attempted to depict Native American civilizations without resorting to customary Western clichés (such as Hugo Friedhofer's 1950 BROKEN ARROW), Rosenman's A MAN CALLED HORSE is (I believe) the first time actual tribal singing and chants were recorded and integrated into a music album mix.
    Members of the Rosebud Sioux Reservation provide all the choral portions of this soundtrack, and FSM expanded upon the initial Columbia LP by including additional Sioux-only vocal tracks along with extra music that wasn't on the Columbia program.

This makes the FSM version an improvement, in my opinion. However, listeners who don't care for this type of authenticity might very well skip over these cues. In a way, A MAN CALLED HORSE could be considered as an inverse of one of my other faves: NINE HOURS TO RAMA. Both albums feature multiple tracks devoted wholly to the un-Westernized presentation of ethnic music. Instead of the Indian source music cues in Arnold's NINE HOURS TO RAMA, there's music by the other "Indians" in Rosenman's A MAN CALLED HORSE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't own the score but remember liking it. I haven't seen the film for decades and it is most memorable to me for the scene with Richard Harris being hoisted/hung off the ground with spikes through his pectorals during a ritualistic initiation. One of filmdoms most eyewateringly wincing moments surely?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I don't own the score but remember liking it. I haven't seen the film for decades and it is most memorable to me for the scene with Richard Harris being hoisted/hung off the ground with spikes through his pectorals during a ritualistic initiation. One of filmdoms most eyewateringly wincing moments surely?

Yes, a still from those scenes is used as the album cover. That's also the point in the film which inspired Rosenman's hallucinatory music.

There's not much of the score used in the final print of the film, though. The album has more music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2014
    can't agree with that choice at all. I didn't like it.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014
    Puppets?

# 38 THE DARK CRYSTAL - TREVOR JONES

This score was my introduction to Trevor Jones and oddly enough it was through my then girlfriends brother who had no interest in film music but had just seen the film, loved the soundtrack and had bought it and insisted I hear it ( oh the torture wink ). I instantly loved it right from the opening bars, this score is a perfect blend of orchestra and electronics which are used quite subtly at times, this is fantasy scoring from a time when fantasy films gave out gem after gem of film scores and Trevor Jones masterpiece is right up there with them. IMO the 1980's was the best decade ever for film scores.

I have this on LP and on the expanded CD release but it's the original I listen to. The complete score is just too disjointed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I owned that too once upon a time, but never connected to it, for some reason. But it seems to be a fan favourite.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It isn't an outright favourite amongst Jones fans but it's one of his contenders.

I've also just remembered what a huge let down his next Jim Henson score was, LABYRINTH.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014 edited
    My pick:

38. TWIN PEAKS (Angelo Badalamenti)

To be honest, there was another title in this spot, but when we did the 'track' thread, I just realized that I had forgotten to include what is probably my first and most influential soundtrack of all time in this list! Geez. So it should obviously be much, much higher up, but there you go. Now it's here, at least. There are bound to be more screw-ups like that in the time to come, I'm sure.

Anyways, I've probably told you this personal story before, but here it is again:

I was a huge fan of the show in its original run, and copied a TWIN PEAKS CD that I had borrowed on to a cassette, ca. 1991. This was -- as far as I remember -- my first-ever soundtrack, but I treated it like any other concept album in my collection and drew my own cover. I hadn't really become fully interested in film music at this point. So I made my own images inspired by the series and music, with drizzly weather, foggy mountains and looming forests in which mysterious things happened. In fact, it inspired me so much that I spent a summer writing a whole novel (hand-written) of some 150 pages and illustrated my own cover! The title of the "book" was a rather generic The Man from the Woods, but it's very dear to my heart and I've often told myself that the core of the story is good (even if a crucial element of it was "used" in Shyamalan's THE SIXTH SENSE some 7-8 years later). So if I ever get the inspiration, I would like to rewrite it, using my adult language rather than the somewhat floral teenage language.

In 2010, I met Badalamenti in Ghent and went up to him in the lobby after the concert. I VERY rarely behave like a fanboy and prefer to keep a professional distance, no matter how big a fan I am, but I just had to communicate to him that the TWIN PEAKS album inspired me to write that novel. He thanked me for the comment and said -- perhaps more courteously than sincerely -- "that if I ever make a film out of it, give me a call!". That made my day!

Oh, well. I'm rambling on. But it's such an important milestone in my soundtrack history that I needed to spend a few words on it.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A great story and worth repeating.

A lovely score, now that you've finally chosen it I realise in retrospect that you took farrrrrrrrrrr too long to choose it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    IMO the 1980's was the best decade ever for film scores.

This is an opinion that seems to be shared amongst so many people who lived throughout that decade.
    I spanned between the ages of 13 and 22 during the 1980s, but I never cared much for '80s films either then or now. What I liked best about about the 1980s were reruns of 1960s television shows on UHF channels and homevideo on VHS tapes.
    I'm OK with a number of 1980s soundtracks, but the '80s is definitely not my favorite decade.
    But more importantly to the soundtrack business than my personal opinion, the viewpoint that the 1980s was "the best" appears to greatly hinder the sales of Golden Age albums.
    Soundtracks to black-and-white films and/or monaural sound are very hard sell in the current market.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Unlike the scores the 1980's were filled with a lot of awful films ( mainstream at least )
  1. Lovely Story, Thor and an of course a great choice. Timmer: Another one I have to check out.

No. 38:

AKIRA (1988) - Yamashiro Shoji (Or the other way around.)

This film is one of the greatest animated science fiction films I have ever seen. I did see it late, years after it was released, on DVD. I instantly began searching for the score. I new I has seen it in stores back in the day, but now I discovered it was long out of print and offered for rediculous money.
    Finally a German conpatriot would offer a used copy in mint condition for 50€. It is the only time I payed that much money for a used CD.
    I love this music. I have very few scores from the Land of Smiles, but this one is my favourite. The 14 minutes suite "Requiem" moves me deeply. So much power, deeply emotional.

So, Timmer, it was not PRINCESS MONONOKE after all. wink

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    AKIRA is a classic!

I remember a Vietnamese childhood friend of mine got the CD relatively quickly after the film came out (he was very much into Manga, among other things), so I listened to it there. Great stuff, although it didn't sweep me off the floor. That same friend, however, also acquired the JURASSIC PARK CD before I did, so I made a copy of his soundtrack -- and that cassette really became my MAIN gateway into soundtrack albums.

Man, I'm stuck on memory lane today. smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Swipe Thor, not sweep. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But 'sweep' is much cooler!

Did someone sweep the potatoe chips under the carpet? biggrin
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Did someone swipe the potato chips from under the carpet? biggrin

Yes, you did!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    popcorn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    Another Mario Bava-directed flick has its soundtrack enter into my Top 50. This time it is ...

... #38: ERCOLE AL CENTRO DELLA TERRA (1961, AKA - Hercules In The Haunted World) by Armando Trovajoli, on Digitmovies CD (2006).

This Hercules movie is a rather atypical blend of horror and sword & sandal genres, but one which could appeal to genre buffs on different levels. Because of the diverse elements, Armando Trovajoli's task on this assignment was to write music which within a single score communicates both the supernatural along with the natural.
    There are some obligatory Peplum conventions herein, such as fanfares and a brassy theme for the protagonist, but the majority of Trovajoli's soundtrack is phantasmagorical.

A few collectors of Peplum consider this Trovajoli opus to be too heavy on the organ chords and unsatisfying with respect to militant derring-do which they've come to expect from this niche.
    On the other side of the coin, some younger film music fans may find Trojavoli's ambient approach a refreshing and forward-looking soundsculpture in contrast with the sturm und drang of, say, a James Bernard horror which was typical within this era of cinema.

For folks who can listen to and like both aspects, Trovajoli's ERCOLE is an ideal musical combination.

The Digitmovies CD has been sold out for a while, but, apparently, C.A.M. liscensed in 2012 the contents of this soundtrack as files for downloading/streaming. https://itunes.apple.com/mu/album/ercol … d624262394
    ERCOLE is available in iTunes and, I think, AllMusic plus other sites, and the movie itself has been uploaded into YouTube for anyone wishing to sample/explore its aural territories.

Rather than write about Trovajoli's ERCOLE on a track-by-track basis, I prefer to describe the entire listening experience as hypnotic. Armando achieves psychedlic sounds from acoustic instruments and does so about a half-dozen years prior to late-'60s psychedlia.

As there was never any of this music on vinyl (LP, EP nor 45 rp.m.) at that time, afficionados waited 45 years for this soundtrack to materialize.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited
    Great stuff! I love that phantasmagorical sound.

Did you know that British bodybuilder Reg Park who played Hercules was Arnold Schwarzenegger's idol?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014
    Timmer wrote
    Did you know that British bodybuilder Reg Park who played Hercules was Arnold Schwarzenegger's idol?

No - I didn't know Ahnold had/has an idol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Knowing your taste in more arty fare, I can also inform you that Arnold had a small cameo in Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE (1973). Probably the most "high-brow" film he's been in.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thanks, Thor.

I like Robert Altman films such as THAT COLD DAY IN THE PARK and THREE WOMEN, but there's more Altman films that I haven't seen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think you would enjoy IMAGES -- my favourite Altman (with a thematic and stylistic similarity to Polanski's REPULSION), and with John Williams' most avantgarde score to date.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Knowing your taste in more arty fare, I can also inform you that Arnold had a small cameo in Robert Altman's THE LONG GOODBYE (1973). Probably the most "high-brow" film he's been in.

I remember that. I'm not sure if he even has a speaking part in that scene, it's been too long since I saw it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

I remember that. I'm not sure if he even has a speaking part in that scene, it's been too long since I saw it.

He has no speaking part, but another 'trivia' aspect about that scene is that it also features Mark Rydell as an actor. Of course, Rydell is more known as a director and for a longstanding relationship to John Williams -- who also happened to score the film in question.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    That's right. Thanks for reminding me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    I think you would enjoy IMAGES -- my favourite Altman (with a thematic and stylistic similarity to Polanski's REPULSION), and with John Williams' most avantgarde score to date.

Oh yes - I like IMAGES very much. I have IMAGES on an MGM DVD and we should be grateful that the print of the film survived. Altman's IMAGES was shot in Ireland and, for a long while, believed to be a lost film.

Also have his SHORT CUTS (1993) on DVD and a VHS tape of COUNTDOWN (1968), which was scored by Leonard Rosenman.
    The WWII television series COMBAT (1962) had some of its episodes directed by Robert Altman.

Of the Hollywood composers who've worked on Altman pictures, I feel Johnny Mandel was very well suited to the material.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh yes - I like IMAGES very much. I have IMAGES on an MGM DVD and we should be grateful that the print of the film survived. Altman's IMAGES was shot in Ireland and, for a long while, believed to be a lost film.

Indeed. A few months back, I actually sat down with its cinematographer, Vilmos Zsigmond, for a conversation about this and others. Great man, great film, great music.
    I am extremely serious.