• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    Dwan Dwan, you will you will you will...

#42 KING KONG - JOHN BARRY

This score holds a particular distinction for me because, though it wasn't the first John Barry album I ever bought ( that would be GOLDFINGER ), it was the first John Barry album I bought to a brand new film release and also the first non-James Bond, John Barry score I'd bought full stop.

I know for a fact that there are a few members here that consider me a mutated heathen, Philistine Sith spy for even daring to consider a KING KONG score above Max Steiner's 1933 original but I can't help that, I'm well aware of Steiner's score and its historical place in movie scoredom but I love Barry's score far more, far, far more. I love the themes, and plenty there are, the jungle drum rhythms, the native chants and even the "purposely" cheesy rock tracks for Kong's New York unveiling, a brilliant album made even more brilliant in recent years by FSM's complete expanded edition with some truly juicy un-used tracks that I'd never heard.

p.s. I even love James Newton Howard & 79 other composers effort for Peter Jackson's windy 2004 King Kong over Steiner's score. You may shoot me now.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014
    The 1933 version of the film is of course light years beyond both remakes combined. That IS a fact!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    The 1933 version of the film is of course light years beyond both remakes combined. That IS a fact!

He, he....maybe as far as 'classic' status is concerned (the groundbreaking use of special effects, score and all that), but for me there's really only one KING KONG film that I can find proper entertainment value in, and that is Peter Jackson's version. For me, these types of movies requires top-notch, state-of-the-art, contemporary effects and stylings to make me properly engrossed in the narrative.

My interest in older 'creature features' is mostly academic.

That being said, I have a nostalgic connection to the 76 version. I remember renting it for a birthday party back in the 80s. The score isn't really my cuppa tea, though -- at least it wasn't when I sampled the FSM version way back when. I'm willing to give it another chance.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014
    My pick:

42. STARGATE (David Arnold)

I had to ponder this a bit when I assembled the list, because these days, it might be a bit intense and bombastic for my taste. But there's no denying how much I loved it, or how important it was, back in the mid 90s.

It was my discovery of Arnold, and his penchant for melodic writing, engaging action writing and the peculiar tendency to incorporate dramatic, middle-eastern harmonics in his music (obvious in this case because of the Egypt connection, but prevalent in most of his other scores too).

I love the film too, of course, but the (original) album is a well-arranged musical journey into sci fi and adventure, painted in broad, old-fashioned strokes. I still think it's his best work to date.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Fine choices gentlemen!

No. 42

Henry V (1989) by Patrick Doyle

What a debut this score was! Had Doyle composed nothing esle than the tracks. "O! For a Muse of Fire", "No nobis domine" and "St. Crispin's Day / The Battle of Agincourt" they would have secured his place in the history of film scoring.
    This was one of the first film music CDs I owned. I was unused to modern symphnic music then and repeated listenigs were required to kindle my love for the score but once it ignited the fire never stopped going. I love all scored that Doyle composed forKenneth Branagh but this one stands out like no other. There is a perfect melange of cinematography, music and Shakesperean verse in this movie.
    This is fine exapmle to what artistic hight film music can aspire.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It's a great one -- probably one of the strongest feature film debuts by a film composer of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    HENRY V is a great score. Excellent choice.

I'm afraid INDEPENDENCE DAY does very little for me Thor. It took me some time to warm to David Arnold's music and I've found joy in earlier releases that I'd initially dismissed but I've tried ID4 more than once in recent years and I still don't like it bar a few interesting moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    HENRY V is a great score. Excellent choice.

I'm afraid INDEPENDENCE DAY does very little for me Thor. It took me some time to warm to David Arnold's music and I've found joy in earlier releases that I'd initially dismissed but I've tried ID4 more than once in recent years and I still don't like it bar a few interesting moments.

Well, I picked STARGATE, not ID4. That being said, ID4 was also a favourite back then -- especially the more fanfaric material (like the "End Credits"). But STARGATE is far superior, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Yes, I also prefer STARGATE before ID4 but I like both. I own the milan release of STARGATE. If I remember correctly, there also was a Varese release but I don't know that one.

Tim, I suspect, any successor to the scoring throne of Britain would have had a hard time to find grace before your eyes. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, I also prefer STARGATE before ID4 but I like both. I own the milan release of STARGATE. If I remember correctly, there also was a Varese release but I don't know that one.

It's essentially the same, but it does end with a more steroid'ed version of Mastadge Drag (namely Stargate end credits). It's brilliant. Worth adding to the end of your Milan album.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Well, I picked STARGATE, not ID4.

oops! shame

I like a few more tracks from STARGATE than I do ID4 but it's still not much cop to me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Tim, I suspect, any successor to the scoring throne of Britain would have had a hard time to find grace before your eyes. wink

I've never thought of it that way and I still don't think like that. John Barry was/is a unique one off.

Who is the UK's top film composer now anyway? I'd guess it to be Patrick Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote

I've never thought of it that way and I still don't think like that. John Barry was/is a unique one off.

Who is the UK's top film composer now anyway? I'd guess it to be Patrick Doyle.

A good contender, but I would go for the aforementioned David Arnold again.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Well, Arnold is out of the loop right now and his last big film score is already a few years behind him ( Narnia ), also he's very busy with his musical Made In Dagenham so it has to be Patrick Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Well, Arnold is out of the loop right now and his last big film score is already a few years behind him ( Narnia ), also he's very busy with his musical Made In Dagenham so it has to be Patrick Doyle.

True, but he can surf for a long time based on his Bond material alone -- even if he's out of the franchise now. In terms of sheer 'recognition' value, I think he may be it. But Doyle has scored more high-profile gigs recently.

Of course, I won't count composers who occasionally dabble in film music, like Michael Nyman or Brian Eno.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oooh....I just remembered: John Powell is British!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Oooh....I just remembered: John Powell is British!

Now we have a winner! Though he isn't doing very much ( hence why I didn't remember him ) so it's still Patrick Doyle for now.

If you were originally talking about highest profile with the British public then I agree that it's David Arnold.

Nyman seems busy with concerts and "serious" music and Brian Eno is a whole other world beyond film unto himself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    David Arnold. That fucker needs to work on more films. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

If his musical is a success we'll see even less of him. A musical hit is many times more lucrative than a film score.
  3. Not sure he wants to. He didn't for a couple of years (coming also from high-profile assignments like the Olympics and now the musical he's been working out for a while).

I think he said recently that he's been pondering on the thought of getting back to scoring films, but not sure, really.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Speaking of musicals ... What's Andrew Lloyd Webber doing these days?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    Speaking of musicals ... What's Andrew Lloyd Webber doing these days?

Counting his hundreds of millions of £'s most likely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

If his musical is a success we'll see even less of him. A musical hit is many times more lucrative than a film score.

Shit.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Speaking of musicals ... What's Andrew Lloyd Webber doing these days?

Counting his hundreds of millions of £'s most likely.

I forgot to mention, and it's worth mentioning, that I own absolutely NOTHING by Andrew Lloyd Webber and I'm rightly proud of that fact too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Plenty of great Lloyd Webber stuff that I'm proud to like.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I have a best-of album and the film soundtrack from "Evita". Both I would not want to miss.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tim Rice is on the credit for OCTOPUSSY, that's as close as it gets for me.
  6. Don't you have The Lion King ?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Nope!
  7. sad