• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014
    I did quite like some of Zimmer's score but not enough to want to own it. And yeah, I know this one is a massive favourite with some people.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    #42: THE TAKING OF PELHAM ONE TWO THREE (1974) by David Shire, on Retrograde CD (1996).

As one of the earliest soundtracks by Lukas Kendall and pre-dating the actual FSM CD production lines which started in 1998, this Shire score has been around for a while and continues to be in stock.

I expect most folks are familiar with this title and with what Shire's music sounds like, so I won't type too much here about it.

Nonetheless, PELHAM is very unique because of its blending of musical genres. Jazzy/funky performances from the instrumentalists are at this score's forefront giving it the veneer of a jazz score.
    But it's not a typical jazzy score since the musical architecture is based upon 12-tone techniques.
    With PELHAM, listeners experience one of the purest dodecaphonic compositions masquerading as an enjoyable type of Blaxploitation funk which hardly ever sounds as if it is derived from the academic principles of the Second Viennese School. smile

Overall, David Shire is not a favorite composer of mine, but with this opus (and, to a lesser extent, his 2007 score for ZODIAC) Shire becomes for me one of those composers who hits a 'home run' for innovation.

[other composers in my list who've produced that one-off & wild opus include Ernest Gold, Philippe Sarde and ... John Williams]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great pick, Tonerow, and finally a title I can relate to!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014
    Thor wrote

Implying, Thor, that 'relate to' = 'familiarity'?
    Or does this mean that my #42 is one of the few film scores on my list which you like?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Thor wrote

Implying, Thor, that 'relate to' = 'familiarity'?
    Or does this mean that my #42 is one of the few film scores on my list which you like?

One of the few film scores on your list that I've heard, to be honest. And like, of course.

It was actually the very first CD FSM produced.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    An excellent choice Cobweb, a score I love a lot! ( bloody excellent film too. Anyone checking in here should give the sad ass remake a miss and check out some seriously excellent 70's film making )
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    An excellent choice Cobweb, a score I love a lot! ( bloody excellent film too. Anyone checking in here should give the sad ass remake a miss and check out some seriously excellent 70's film making )

Indeed. Also contains a serious role by genius comedian Jerry Stiller (albeit brief).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. http://psbartlett.files.wordpress.com/2 … leweed.jpg
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014
    He, he....my guess is Timmer wants this to last as long as possible.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014
    Though I don't think We ( oh, alright then wink ) "I" should rush it, I have a few things on my plate, so to speak, at the moment but I will put my next choice up tomorrow if I get the chance.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2014 edited
    And just so I know where I am...

My list so far from 1 - 43

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - Poledouris
    THE LION IN WINTER - Barry
    KRULL - Horner
    THE BIG COUNTRY - Moross
    E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL - Williams
    STAR TREK THE MOTION PICTURE - Goldsmith
    ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE - Barry
    THE FINAL CONFLICT - Goldsmith
    THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY - Morricone
    LITTLE BUDDHA - Sakamoto
    THE LAST VALLEY - Barry
    SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC - Vaughan Williams
    THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - Legrand
    THE THING - Morricone
    WALKING WITH DINOSAURS / WALKING WITH BEASTS - Bartlett
    STAR WARS - Williams
    CHINATOWN - Goldsmith
    HEAVY METAL - Bernstein
    BULLIT - Schifrin
    BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Kilar
    STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK - Horner
    ONE MILLION YEARS B.C. - Nascimbene
    'BOOM!' - Barry
    STARSHIP TROOPERS - Poledouris
    RED PLANET - Revell
    QUEST FOR FIRE - Sarde
    FLASH GORDON - Queen / Blake
    THE ROBE - A. Newman
    THE BOURNE SUPREMACY - Powell
    READY WHEN YOU ARE J.B. - Barry
    THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - Barry
    ROCKY - Conti
    TRUE CONFESSIONS - Delerue
    LIFEFORCE - Mancini
    JANE EYRE - Williams
    THE FILM MUSIC OF - C. Gunning
    SOMMERSBY - Elfman
    THE DARK CRYSTAL - Jones
    WATERSHIP DOWN - Morley
    THE FURY - Williams
    TOTAL RECALL - Goldsmith
    KING KONG - Barry
    CONAN THE DESTROYER - Poledouris
  2. Timmer wrote
    Though I don't think We ( oh, alright then wink ) "I" should rush it, I have a few things on my plate, so to speak, at the moment but I will put my next choice up tomorrow if I get the chance.

Take your time, mate! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014
    The riddle of steel 2...

#43 BASIL POLEDOURIS - CONAN THE DESTROYER

This is a score I've always championed right from the beginning, I always loved the original soundtrack for all it's faults and even the synth-keyboards that replaced harpsichord and cimbalom still retain a strong nostalgic magic for me personally, however, it is the Prometheus recording of the complete score that I'm choosing here, a brilliant and vibrant recording adding the instruments the original score budget didn't allow and giving us fans the music as Basil Poledouris intended, and a stunningly revealing score it is too.

As if that wasn't enough ( and this would still be the placing if the album only contained 'Destroyer' ) we also have the excellent SWORD AND SORCERY: THE ADVENTURES OF CONAN, a marginally earlier score than Destroyer, written for a live action show at Universal Studios, this shows a few ideas that would be expanded upon in the Destroyer score plus a "homage" to Jerry Goldsmith's Capricorn One wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2014 edited
    For some reason, I was never able to connect as much to that as I was the first score.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    For some reason, I was never able to connect as much to that as I was the first score.

Have you heard the Prometheus rerecording?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's lightyears beyond the original.
    I never liked the original score, but the rerecording has brought out such depth and luscious detail that it catapulted the score well into my all-time favourites!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, I haven't heard the new rerecording yet. Maybe that will win me over.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Listen to Martijn. He's right.

In fact, having only just listened to this album again I would, in retrospect, have placed it far higher than #43
  3. I could revise my list every day.

No 43

The Cider House Rules (1999) - Rachel Portman

I like the work of Rachel Portman, still I am not her biggest fan. At times I perceive her music as being too sugary, a characteristic Portman shares with Georges Delerue. One of my favourite scores by Portman is Beloved, which is quite nontypical and noone else seems to like it.
    My favourite Portman score though is The Cider House Rules. I'm an admirer of John Irving. His novel of the same title I love in particular, the film is congenial as is the score by Rachel Portman. It relies heavily on the main theme and rightfully so, it is one of the greatest, most lyrical themes ever. Appropriately it became something of an instrumental hit at the time.
    This is a bittersweet symphony, full of longing, hope, love, humanity, forgiveness and redemption. When in the right mood there is nothing better.

[With a sigh] Volker smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Fantastic theme, but far too repetitative, IMO -- which is quite common with Portman.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    My pick:

43. BRAVEHEART (James Horner)

One of my early CD purchases, this. I think I had seen the film first, but I was already on a voyage of film music discovery back in 1995, and was familiar with Horner from ALIENS and other things. So I picked it up, and it quickly rose to be a favourite. Of course, it's also loved by a great many people (one of the most popular orchestral soundtracks of all time), but I couldn't care less. It's superb -- from the gaelic stuff (I don't care that the bagpipes might be the wrong ones), the suspense stuff, the action material and the heart-melting love theme.

This is one of those CD's that has been with me forever and always been a favourite, but which I don't play that much anymore. One of those albums that you used to listen to all the time back in the day and that are so ingrained in your memory that whenever you put it on, you're transported back in your personal time as well as to the atmosphere the music itself conveys.

Seeing the music played live in Vienna last year, with a clearly moved Horner sitting just a few seats away, will always be a treasured memory.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ""Bagpipes???" It's got ruddy ELECTRONICS in it Thor, how flipping anachronistic* is THAT!!!!? cheesy wink

I adore the score too and played the hell out of it before I'd seen the film.

*the film itself is anachronistic. Nowadays I can enjoy it as a fantasy romp.
  4. Varese has recorded a suite that - I believe - does use bagpipes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By the way, THIS is the album cover to my copy, an import from the USA. Much better IMO than the UK release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I prefer the European cover, to be honest.

I'm not sure what you're saying about bagpipes, though....are you saying that the bagpipes in the score are electronic? Certainly doesn't sound that way, and that's the first I've heard of it if that's the case.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Reading your comment Tim, you do seem to have gotten your wire crossed somewhere. wink

It is a bit irksome that Irish bagpipes have been used rather than the more accurate Scottish bagpipes - if the use of bagpipes at all is representative anyway? But, I think that the Irish pipes have more of a range. And anyway, it sounds Celtic and that's enough - the execs would have said.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    No crossed wires and I was jesting but it's falling flat. spin
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Reading your comment Tim, you do seem to have gotten your wire crossed somewhere. wink

It is a bit irksome that Irish bagpipes have been used rather than the more accurate Scottish bagpipes - if the use of bagpipes at all is representative anyway? But, I think that the Irish pipes have more of a range. And anyway, it sounds Celtic and that's enough - the execs would have said.

I was wondering what you would think about the use of Irish pipes in the score. As far as I read, the Uilleanns also have some features that the others don't (you can play proper chords on the uilleanns for example).
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014
    People have been talking about that 'Irish pipes instead of Scottish' for years, and to be honest I couldn't care less. It still has that 'highlands' feeling, and what matters in the end is the sound and atmosphere the music conveys, not how much fidelity an instrument has to the area being portrayed.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Yeah, but knowing that it's about the Scottish nationality it may annoy some connected to the cause, though I'm with you.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website