• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Man, it's Monday and this thread keeps popping up. It's irritating! wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2014
    It's active. Nothing to be irritated about.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I love that score, and it's a worthy addition to your list. It's funny you don't mention that most strongly bears it's influence - Christopher young's CREATION.

Hi, franz.

Maybe it's funny because I have C. Young's CREATION on CD but it never popped into my mind.
    I haven't listened much to CREATION, so that's probably why.
    Christopher Young is one composer (amongst many) whose music I collect regularly and I wish I could place THE GIFT into my top 50 albums but there's simply no room for that.

Here's 3 more composers who fell off my top 50, but reside in my top 60: Robert O. Ragland, Andre Previn and Maurice Jarre.
    Hope we can chat in more detail about our faves #51 through #100 after the top 50 in this thread are completed ... whichever calendar year that will occur in is Timmer's guess. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2014
    Cobweb wrote
    Hope we can chat in more detail about our faves #51 through #100 after the top 50 in this thread are completed ... whichever calendar year that will occur in is Timmer's guess. tongue

I think there will be plenty of room for everyone's LONG list of 51st places!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Thor wrote
    Surprise choice there, Cobweb. I certainly did not expect something as 'commercial' as that, judging from your previous choices. Cool!

By the way, there are several film composers who have nurtured a relationship with Deutsche Gramophon in recent years. Perhaps the biggest name is Max Richter, who in addition to being a concert composer has also done his fair share of films over the the last few years, with soundtrack on DG. Actually, he's a composer that should be up your alley, but I'm sure you're already familiar with him.

I've seen the name of Richter, but never heard his music yet. Thanks for mentioning him, Thor.

As for being 'commercial', I don't recall if THE VILLAGE was successful in any other way than its music.
    But if you imply Hollywood mainstream, bear in mind that I have been collecting soundtracks from mainstream movies for a 20+ year period (starting around 1985 and subsiding after 2007).
    Even though I have a lot of 'em, most of 'em are not within my personal favorites.

During the past half-dozen years, my interest vears away from albums from new releases and focuses instead on vintage recordings - especially Italian soundtracks. From 2008 onwards, my discs on Piero Piccioni (and quite a number of others) has increased manifold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Wasn't expecting that - i.e. a score I've actually heard and one that I can actually enjoy - from you, Cobweb. wink

Glad you like THE VILLAGE.

We all have our own spheres of interests when exploring cinema and music.
    A few of us venture off into areas (such as the 'art' films within the Criterion Collection, for example, or academic musical compositions written after WW II, etc.) which others may not be aware - or care for.

I like to think of our lists of favorites as reflections upon our aural journeys and accumulated tastes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    Cobweb hits the popular button eh? biggrin wink

It's an excellent score.

Don't think THE VILLAGE was too popular with the critics, though. smile

If JNH's VILLAGE is a popular soundtrack, that aspect didn't figure into my selection of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    It's active. Nothing to be irritated about.

Captain Future was/is expecting #45. Perhaps the irritation is not knowing which John Barry soundtrack will be Timmer's #45 ... oh the agony ... wink
  2. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014
    #45 coming later today ( promise )

I wonder what 12 tone score of the week Cobweb will choose?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kalidor!? Kalidor???

#45 ENNIO MORRICONE - RED SONJA

Hot on the heels of CONAN THE DESTROYER came this turkey from Dino DeLorentis starring the Amazonian nit-wit Brigitte Neilson in the title role and Arnold Schwarzenegger as Kalidor*. I've always loved this score with it's quirky, prancing title theme and wonderfully ethereal choral work for the more 'magical' scenes. I expect I may be alone in my love for this score and favouring it over so many Morricone classics. The album I've chosen here is the 2011 Perseverance release, the old Varese release where the score was presented in the form of two lengthy suites wouldn't have made my list as it contains his score to BLOODLINE which I have little interest in.

*I have no idea why Arnold's character wasn't named Conan. A rights issue perhaps? Does anyone here know?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote
    I wonder what 12 tone score of the week Cobweb will choose?

My #45 has already been chosen 12 months ago - I'm just waitin' to post it after MT's thread protocol has been satisfied.

Would that it could be weekly, our 45s would've already been revealed ... but it's more like bi-weekly or tri-weekly. So my candidates read more like '12-tone score of the month'. smile

Actually, my #45 is my 2nd and final Jerry Fielding for this list and its 12-note row is ingeniously camouflaged within its seemingly tonal aural fabric.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    RED SONJA....certainly didn't expect that on anyone's list. I don't think I've ever seen the film or heard the score, although I've obviously been aware of it for almost three decades.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    RED SONJA....certainly didn't expect that on anyone's list. I don't think I've ever seen the film or heard the score, although I've obviously been aware of it for almost three decades.

You're missing out Thor. RED SONJA is a classic of cinema.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    True! Veritably unmissable like The Last Movie, Last Year In Marienbad or PLan Nine From Outer Space.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. You probably just pissed off a whole bunch of people by including Marienbad in that list, Martijn. wink

never seen it but it sounds like something I would resolutely not enjoy in the slightest
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good! Anyone who likes Last Year In Marienbad deserves everything he gets!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote
    Here's 3 more composers who fell off my top 50, but reside in my top 60: Robert O. Ragland, Andre Previn and Maurice Jarre.

At a guess. Q THE WINGED SERPENT ( very fine film and score ), THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE ( great score but I'd choose DEAD RINGER ) and a very early and obscure score from Jarre.
  4. There is another Morricone score left in my list, but this time its:

No 45:

Jurassic Park (1993) by John bow Williams

John Williams has certainly written more complex and more subtle music. But never did he find finer melodies than for this score. It is one of the few occasions that I am aware of, that an instrumental main theme was released as a single.
    Anyway, there is also some genius action music in this score. One of the true musical icons that the maestro has crafted. Bold orchestral romp from start to finish, there is awe and wonder, terror, lyricism, whatever you want. I feel like a puppet on strings when Williams manipulates my emotions. Nobody does it better.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I prefer THE LOST WORLD. Still, a very fine choice Captain. Thor will agree with you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I agree with his pick, but obviously not the placement. FAR, FAR too low! smile

trex
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Good! Anyone who likes Last Year In Marienbad deserves everything he gets!

Ouch. That's a fantastic film!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    It is one of the few occasions that I am aware of, that an instrumental main theme was released as a single.

There have been too many to mention.

Leaving aside such composers as John Barry, Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone who've had hundreds of instrumental theme releases on singles, I can name ( off the top of my head ) these singles from Williams scores...

Jaws
    Star Wars
    Superman ( my copy is a picture disc )
    E.T. ( a high charting single here in the UK )
    Close Encounters
  5. At least they didn't make a disco version of Jurassic Park!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    No, but they went the opposite route and did this awesome version.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014 edited
    My pick:

45. TRON: LEGACY (Daft Punk)

The most recent score in my list. Hardly any other soundtrack has received more plays in the last couple of years. In fact, I've had to take a break over the last year so as not overplay it.

I've always been a lover of electronica and when electronica artists are imported to the film score scene to "do their thang" better than any other specialized film composer trying to do the same. No exception here. The French duo injects their trademark 8-bit sounds, backbeats and delicious grooves and combines it with surprisingly lush, lofty orchestral colours. No wonder it became such a hit also among those who are not into film music. Although you can trace elements of the soundscape back to Nolan's BATMAN and ultimately the Jason Bourne riff that started it all, it's still very much its own thing and own spin on the ostinato-driven trend.

In my opinion, this is actually Daft Punk's best album (also counting the studio albums) because of its concept feel.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. ^ Awsome score and album! When it came out it was played everywhere hereabouts.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    It is one of the few occasions that I am aware of, that an instrumental main theme was released as a single.

There have been too many to mention.

Leaving aside such composers as John Barry, Henry Mancini, Ennio Morricone who've had hundreds of instrumental theme releases on singles, I can name ( off the top of my head ) these singles from Williams scores...

Jaws
    Star Wars
    Superman ( my copy is a picture disc )
    E.T. ( a high charting single here in the UK )
    Close Encounters

I see. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014 edited
    #45: THE NIGHTCOMERS (1971) by Jerry Fielding, on Intrada CD (2008).

40 entries ago, my #5 = THE MECHANIC. THE NIGHTCOMERS fittingly serves as a bookend as my final Fielding soundtrack selected for these last numbers of the Top 50.

Both of these titles denote my opinion that Jerry Fielding wrote his most impressive film scores in collaboration with director Michael Winner, who helmed both.

THE NIGHTCOMERS is unique because it is a prequel to Jack Clayton's THE INNOCENTS from a decade earlier: Jerry Fielding wrote for a prequel to a film scored by Georges Auric!

THE NIGHTCOMERS is also very different from THE MECHANIC with respect to harmonic vocabulary.
    The majority of THE NIGHTCOMERS' duration is tonal, communicating Olde English countryside pastoralism with outbursts of childhood frivolity.
    A brutal undercurrent exists, though, as a S&M relationship develops between the 2 adult protagonists which affects the children and leads to multiple deaths by film's end.

I believe Fielding himself mentioned that the 'waltz' theme which eventually underscores a death scene is 12-note but couched in tonal (and more audience friendly) idioms.

THE NIGHTCOMERS' soundtrack history is an interesting illustration on the evolution of soundtrack collecting.
    No album was done when the film was released. By 1977, Tony Thomas produced an LP program with most of this music on a non-commercial pressing. This program content was later re-issued on a Bay Cities CD compilation and finally issued in its most complete form by Intrada as a stand-alone CD.

For me, THE NIGHTCOMERS surpasses the JANE EYRE of John Williams (regarding English pastoralism) and Elmer B.'s TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in terms of musical depiction of childhood.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2014 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    #45: THE NIGHTCOMERS (1971) by Jerry Fielding, on Intrada CD (2008).

For me, THE NIGHTCOMERS surpasses the JANE EYRE of John Williams (regarding English pastoralism) and Elmer B.'s TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD in terms of musical depiction of childhood.

Arguable, of course. I don't agree with your latter comment but possibly agree with the former though I love Williams JANE EYRE far, far more.

Great choice though. Personally I put THE NIGHTCOMERS at the top of everything I've heard from Fielding.