• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2013
    So, which ones are worth checking out? Favourites? Must haves? Hidden gems?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm making a Top 2013 list for my webcast celluloidtunes.no as soon as possible, so I need some time to think and more scores to check out. I'll tune in here once it's done! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I haven't even listened to 10 current scores in 2013. My interest in current scores is in progressive decline. My interest in Hollywood scores that is. I know there are splendid scores to be found elsewhere but I guess I am too lazy to find them. Also my interest in older scores is keeping me occupied.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Top 10?!? shocked
    Crikey...can I do a top 5? I might be able to just crack that...

Alright:
    5) Game Of Thrones (season 3) - Ramin Djawadi (TV)
    Djawadi holds and builds on the very strong line he began in season 1, and his work becomes more and more thematic. Though the current fad of emotive droning is never entirely absent, this music is generally recognisable, varied and one of the finest TV show soundtracks at the moment!
    4) In a toss-up between Zimmers, Rush just edges out The Lone Ranger. Both scores are great fun, but Rush gives just that little extra in energy, and The Lone Ranger at times simply is too much pastiche-like, which is gerenally left better to the likes of Powell or Badelt. Still, fun scores, the both.
    3) Another TV score: Doctor Who Season 7 by Murray Gold again jumps out as a landmark in TV scoring. After some leaner years (in my opinion) where too much was rehashed, or simply too much was added to increase bombastic sound, Gold is well on track again with this stand-out season. A double CD is still too long, but when condensed, it's one of his finest seasons since the whole reboot.
    2) Space Shuttle Columbia: Mission Of Hope - Blake Neely
    A competely unexpected, beautiful, beautiful score. Here's my review.
    1) Remember Me - Olivier Deriviere (game score)
    Clever, enticing, addictive, weird, fun, fantastic.
    WHAT a great concept, WHAT a great execution.
    I love this score to bits.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    RE: Doctor Who, I'm only on Season 5, but I can see how it seems a bit "lean" compared to the incredible advancements of 3 and 4, which are quite frankly some of the most symphonic and "epic" scores ever written for television, that I'm aware of. At the same time, the "I Am The Doctor" cue and its variations is probably becoming one of my all-time favorite themes, in anything, ever.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    My top 10 will be coming soon. I actually finished compiling my list last night. I still have a few scores left to listen to but I highly doubt any of them will knock off the current contenders. However, if you have some dough burning a hole in your pocket you can't go wrong with REMEMBER ME and ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Captain Future wrote
    I haven't even listened to 10 current scores in 2013. My interest in current scores is in progressive decline. My interest in Hollywood scores that is. I know there are splendid scores to be found elsewhere but I guess I am too lazy to find them. Also my interest in older scores is keeping me occupied.

Volker

This coming from the guy who thinks Ender's Game is a masterpiece. dizzy
  3. I've heard over 100 scores from this year, far more than I've ever heard from any other. I have a list of favorites, but there are still a handful of scores I need to hear before I finalize that. So far my favorite score is Blake Nealy's SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014
    Thank you all! A top xx isn't necessary at all for me, I'd just like to know what was released in 2013 and which ones you liked. I'm not keeping up with score news at all, except what comes along on facebook and that's limited.

Speaking of fb, is McCreary's Da Vincis Demons not a 2013 score? I love what he is doing.

I am already happy with the recommendations so far. Had never heard of Space Shuttle Colombia and of Remember Me.

I'm also considering doing something that is so against my ideals wink : buying separate tracks instead of whole albums. Selecting a best tracks of 2013 or something. I hate that because a score is a story imo and because often when a score is new I have favourite tracks and then later on I start to appreciate other tracks, it has to grow on me. But it could be an option if I don't want to buy a bunch of scores and end up listening to only a couple of tracks...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014 edited
    At the very top...

Abel Korzeniowski is composer of the year for me, both ROMEO AND JULIET and particularly ESCAPE FROM TOMORROW are outstanding.

Just below that...

SIDDHARTH ( Andrew Lockington )
    REMEMBER ME ( Olivier Deriviere )
    SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA ( Blake Nealy )
    GAGARIN: FIRST IN SPACE ( George Kellis )
    RUSH ( Hans Zimmer )
    THE GREAT GATSBY ( Craig Armstrong )

Scores that had some good moments...

THOR: THE DARK WORLD ( Brian Tyler )
    IRON MAN 3 ( Brian Tyler )
    STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS ( Michael Giacchino )
    JACK THE GIANT KILLER ( John Ottman )
    HOBBIT: DESOLATION OF SMAUG ( Howard Shore )
    OBLIVION ( M83 )

I have to say that with a few highly anticipated but very disappointing exceptions, 2013 has been a very good year for film and TV scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks! I'm also glad to know now there are movies/documentaries on Columbia and Gagarin!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregje, I've amended my list. I seem to remember that you liked Asian-influenced scores? I highly recommend Andrew Lockington's SIDDHARTH.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Thanks! These are exactly the recommendations I wouldn't know about without this board. Never heard of it so thanks a lot
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Bregje, I've amended my list. I seem to remember that you liked Asian-influenced scores? I highly recommend Andrew Lockington's SIDDHARTH.

Now THERE's a new one?
    Intriguing...I'm a-gonna have a lookout for that one.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Now THERE's a new one?
    Intriguing...I'm a-gonna have a lookout for that one.

It's up on Spotify. I like it a lot.
  4. I'm a fan of SIDDHARTH, too. Apparently, Lockington wrote it and submitted it to the IFMCA last year, but the film wasn't released then. I'm not actually sure if it's had a release yet (the film I mean - the score was released this year).

Other favorites of mine from this year include Ishkeri's AUSTENLAND, Korzeniowski's ROMEO AND JULIET, Eyquem's WINNIE MANDELA, Williams's THE BOOK THIEF, Balfe's RED WING, Newman's SAVING MR. BANKS, Navarro's LA MULA, Armstrong's THE GREAT GATSBY, and Jusid's ISABEL (second season). Just in case anyone hasn't heard one or more of those and wants a suggestion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    After seeing the film, The Desolation of Smaug is my score of the year, bar none. Even though Man of Steel has more personal meaning to me, this is probably the most magnificent, perfect, unbelievably well-spotted, thematically-dense, and stunningly immersive film music since Return of the King was 10 years ago. For the few of us who really appreciate this kind of awe-inspiring artistic spectacle, this score and the next one are going to be one of the masterpieces of the decade.
  5. I still haven't heard the score away from the film. I suppose that it aided you to know the score so well by the time you saw the movie. Not being familiar with the score at all, I did not walk away from the film with any of those new themes, or motifs or whatever they are, in my head. The only melody that I recognized was the music for the ring from the original trilogy. Maybe I'll change my tune after settling down with the score for several hours. I hope so. I miss the instantly recognizable themes from the original trilogy. I knew the shire music, the fellowship theme, the Rohan theme, etc., after just one viewing of those films. The last film had the misty mountains theme, which I also knew after just one pass. I'm glad you like it so much. I hope I can, too, but I'm afraid I won't be willing to invest enough of myself into it to appreciate it like you do, Scribe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    My 50 minute playlist is really all you need to listen to in order to understand the score. And I found that the important new themes (Tauriel, Laketown and Smaug) were recognizable and then also really fun, in 2-3 listens.

This is just a case where the album production was an absolute epic fail. I can't imagine what they were thinking, except "get it out there as cheaply as possible to satisfy those annoying score fans".
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Also, I can't wait to see what Shore does with the hopeful, adventurous Laketown theme when [spoiler]Smaug burns the shit out of it at the beginning of the next film. [/spoiler]
  6. Yeah, I'll give your playlist a spin before I ever listen to the whole thing.
  7. Scribe wrote
    hopeful, adventurous Laketown theme

Interesting that that's the read you got off of the Lake-town theme. I thought it sounded more pompous, but of a slightly seedy and faded variety. Maybe I'm overinterpreting. Love that theme and its Poledouris/Conan feel though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    There is a subtheme of the Laketown theme that is meant to be pompous and seedy, for the politicians; but the version of it that plays when they're first entering Laketown, and a few other places, sounds quite hopeful and adventurous to me.
  8. Hmm, yeah, no, I am talking about the actual Lake-town theme, not the politicians/Master one. I guess it does sound a bit hopeful through how comparatively upbeat it is, but because of what a faded shell the place is I always thought it seemed kind of like a bit of false self-important trumpeting. The Durin's Line theme, now that's properly hopeful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2014
    I guess I was focusing on how gorgeous the place is rather than that it's also a faded shell of itself...
  9. A few unknown little gems, from my latest film score article - the first of 2014 - which takes a look at the best film scores released in Germany in 2013 (it will be the first of several, each covering a different country), with capsule reviews of 11 releases. The scores covered are:

- THE BUTTERFLY'S DREAM by Rahman Altin
    - COLETTE by Atli Örvarsson
    - DIE ANDERE HEIMAT: CHRONIK EINER SEHNSUCHT by Michael Riessler
    - DIE NORDSEE: UNSER MEER by Oliver Heuss
    - HEUTE BIN ICH BLOND by Johan Hoogewijs
    - IN EINEM WILDEN LAND by Karim Sebastian Elias
    - NIGHT TRAIN TO LISBON by Annette Focks
    - OSTWIND: ZUSAMMEN SIND WIR FREI by Annette Focks
    - RUBINROT by Philipp F. Kölmel
    - UNSERE MÜTTER UNSERE VÄTER by Fabian Römer
    - VERGISS MEIN NICHT by Jessica de Rooij

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/01/05/best- … c-germany/

Check them out - I absolutely recommend COLETTE (a gorgeous drama score with stunning string writing), DIE NORDSEE: UNSER MEER (a nature documentary with some lovely, lyrical passages) and especially RUBINROT, a big old-fashioned fantasy adventure score, with huge action cues and soaring themes.

Jon
  10. You're a one man UN of film scoring! punk
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  11. Yes, and Jon knows better about what is going on in Germany score wise than I do. dizzy

If he is the UN of film scoring, are we his blue helmeted peacekeeping troops? cheesy

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2014
    How about peoples choices for best re-release/expanded/new release of an old score?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2014
    La La Land's Lethal Weapon Box and Tadlow/Prometheus' QBVII are highlights for me.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!