• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote

And Robert Duncan, who scored all episodes -- sans one or two -- of the last season, did a nifty job too. I defy you to listen to "choosen (longer version)" and tell me that isn't one of the best things on TV you've ever heard:
    http://www.duncanmusic.com/buffy.html

Well, Douglas Romayne scored the first and third episodes of season 7, but Duncan scored the remaining 20 episodes. And yes, his scores for the seventh season were on par with Beck's work on the second, third and fourth seasons at times.

Fox ought to have Beck, Wanker and Duncan arrange some of their best music cues composed for the series and record them with a live orchestra for a Buffy CD release. If Robert Kral could get an Angel CD released, surely those three can.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
  1. Tried. Beck compiled the season 2 score promo for a CD that was supposed to coincide with the first song compilation, but the CD failed.
    Again, the season 3 score promo was another sacked CD. Whedon said he had to fight to get what little he got (of season 4 score) on the "Once More, with Feeling!" BTVS CD.

While I still love "Angel", and appreciate some of it's scoring, it's nothing when held up against BTVS and Beck (and Wanker), yet FOX (or whomever owns the rights) treats it like the bastard red-headed step child, keeping it locked up in the bathroom (vault).
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008
    Band Of Brothers

nuff said
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    This is a good thread worth reviving.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Timmer wrote
    This is a good thread worth reviving.

Indeed
    One has to stir up the muddy bottom to find what treasures are buried underneath.

Yeah, I've taken this way too far...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I forgot I started this post, but why on earth didn't I mention the greatest TV score of all? LOST.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I forgot I started this post, but why on earth didn't I mention the greatest TV score of all? LOST.

Over ALL the fabulous TV scores by the likes of Herrmann, Goldsmith, Williams, Broughton, Holdridge, Conti, Goldenberg, Fenton, Fried, Kaplan, Steiner and so many more?

Get d' fuc out rolleyes
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Timmer wrote
    Get d' fuc out rolleyes

Pah!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008 edited
    Here we go again; it's 2008. Nobody is questioning the afore-mentioned examples of the past and their value of contribution, but to plainly dismiss what's widely considered as one of the most successful (and if you follow it through the series - brilliantly functioning, elevating and fitting) tv scores of all times, ranges from being stubborn to ignorant, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Here we go again; it's 2008. Nobody is questioning the afore-mentioned examples of the past and their value of contribution, but to plainly dismiss what's widely considered as one of the most successful (and if you follow it through the series - brilliantly functioning, elevating and fitting) tv scores of all times, ranges from being stubborn to ignorant, imo.

Who, pray, is dismissing it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I missed the dismissing. Not dissing D. but this is a wish to miss dismal dismissals.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Who, pray, is dismissing it?

http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … es/#Item_7

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'd say Giacchino's scores to Lost are definitely some of the best TV scoring, ney, scoring I've ever heard. His music is so integral to the tension, mystery and emotion of each episode. Although many TV scores have perhaps benefited from 'better' themes, themes that could easily translate to a concert setting, Lost has no place for music like that. Giacchino's music is perfect for the show, and when you've created something so vital for a show like Lost, it certainly deserves a lot of recognition.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Mancini did more than a wonderful job with Peter Gunn and Mr Lucky
    Thomas smile
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

He did and Peter Gunn really helped him to put him on the map. Thankfully!

Thomas Newman did a wonderful job with the opening sequence of Six Feet Under just with the opening note we know who and which TV score it is! I must say once more: brilliant!

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAe0qwg9Yw
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Peter Gunn was the breakthrough material for Hank.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very little episodic tv music is anywhere near as good as even middling film music. In fact, once you go past Star Trek, I can't think of any.

Some miniseries certainly have feature-quality scoring though - Nostromo, Masada, North and South, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote

It's fine for what it is, and by far the best music around on television right now, but Giacchino's work in films blows it away.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Agree, gorgeous works, both of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    My favourite TV score is TaleSpin by Christopher L Stone. The Buffy and Star Trek scores are also among my favs. Ron Jones composed a wonderful, sadly neglected score for the Disney TV series Ducktales.

Am I the only one who likes Randy Edelman's score for Ten Commandments? tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

I thought you didn't like jazzy scores?

Please correct me if I'm wrong!? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    My favourite TV score is TaleSpin by Christopher L Stone. The Buffy and Star Trek scores are also among my favs. Ron Jones composed a wonderful, sadly neglected score for the Disney TV series Ducktales.

Am I the only one who likes Randy Edelman's score for Ten Commandments? tongue

With the odd exceptions Star Trek Next Generation / Deep Space Nine / Voyager etc have very weak scores IMO, not really the fault of the composers involved as has been discussed on this board before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Mancini is the only exception, the man has a voice of his own that is impossible to resist if you like good music. And Terence Blanchard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas smile

Mancini is the only exception, the man has a voice of his own that is impossible to resist if you like good music. And Terence Blanchard.

Oh I agree with you but I could also add the names of Legrand, Barry, Goldsmith and Bernstein to which you're words apply equally accurate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Did the Young Indy Chronicles use any of Williams' themes?

I don't remember hearing any Williams material at all on any of the four Young Indy Chronicles volumes (nor in the other episodic score by Curt Sobel I have on a boot). It is 100% original and truly amazing music. I'm very glad that someone brought it up, otherwise I would've had to.

Speaking of amazing music... Amazing Stories, anyone? Didn't that revolutionize the world of TV music? I think it did.

Another giant of TV music: Trevor Jones.

But for me, the apex of TV music and a true hidden gem will remain Don Davis and Lee Holdridge's work on Beauty and the Beast. It does NOT get any more melodic, tragic, stirring and better than this.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited
    Tintin wrote
    Thomas Newman did a wonderful job with the opening sequence of Six Feet Under just with the opening note we know who and which TV score it is! I must say once more: brilliant!

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=KYAe0qwg9Yw

That's a good theme, works very well with the images.

I always liked JNH's dramatic theme for E.R.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=1n46rS5p35w
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2009
    The Peanuts Theme - Vince Guaraldi Trio

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbiYFA0-8mU

For me, this is one of the best TV themes. smile
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I'd say that the entire board is starting to get infected with Kokozedilitis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Kokozedilitis

biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Any score by Morricone for those Italian TV movies (Il cuore nel pozzo, Karol, Il papa buono, Perlasca, etc.) and also Marco Frisina's music for those religious TV movies ( Giovanni Paolo, Pompei, San Pietro, etc.)